Disable Cell Standby (increase battery life)

Search This thread

raydog153

Nov 28, 2007
I noticed that I had a lot of battery usage from 'Cell Standy' so I put together this update that removes the phone apks that have to deal with the phone system, which doesn't exist on this device. I have only tested this on CM6.1b4 rom. It only deletes 4 apks. Afterwards you won't see cell standby in the battery usage. Use at own risk, and backup system first.

On a side note, I followed this thread as well to reduce redraw lag for the home screen, seems much faster now: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bu...draw-launcherpro-adw-credit-samsonite801.html

Attachments

• RemoveCellStandby.zip
    723 bytes · Views: 4,379

it2steve

Jul 21, 2010
DFW, TX
I noticed that I had a lot of battery usage from 'Cell Standy' so I put together this update that removes the phone apks that have to deal with the phone system, which doesn't exist on this device. I have only tested this on CM6.1b4 rom. It only deletes 4 apks. Afterwards you won't see cell standby in the battery usage. Use at own risk, and backup system first.

On a side note, I followed this thread as well to reduce redraw lag for the home screen, seems much faster now: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bu...draw-launcherpro-adw-credit-samsonite801.html
Thanks for the shortcut... For those of us that 'may' already have removed some of the .apk's, could you list which ones you have removed in this?

h4x0rjdag

Jan 12, 2010
i dont have this usage. tnt doesnt come with that because vs knew they didn't add cellular resources anyways. but i could be wrong. but i have no usage with that title. however 12% is used by (blank) no name :)

rothnic

Aug 18, 2010
i dont have this usage. tnt doesnt come with that because vs knew they didn't add cellular resources anyways. but i could be wrong. but i have no usage with that title. however 12% is used by (blank) no name :)

Right. CM is made for phones only so far, and Zpad versions do have a radio. So, that is what this would be useful for.

Thanks for putting this together, I'll have to check it out.

it2steve

Jul 21, 2010
DFW, TX
Rothnic.. Please let us know what you find out.... It would probably be just as easy to remove the apk's with root explorer, unless there's something else?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

raydog153

Nov 28, 2007
Yes it would be just as easy to remove with root explorer, I just wanted to experiment with creating an update for my own learning as well. The apk's are Phone, Mms, VioceDialer, and TelephonyProvider.

h4x0rjdag

Jan 12, 2010
i'm curious, when i try to install google voice it won't let me becuase it tries to pull voicemail settings. if i were to slap that services on my TnT would it let me install ? lol

raydog153

Nov 28, 2007
i'm curious, when i try to install google voice it won't let me becuase it tries to pull voicemail settings. if i were to slap that services on my TnT would it let me install ? lol

I have google voice installed, but can't configure it, hangs on the voicemail even thou I tell it to skip voicemail. I don't have that apk installed either, not sure if I removed it manually. I believe other people have been able to get it configured, but not working still.

madhouze

Apr 21, 2007
I have google voice installed, but can't configure it, hangs on the voicemail even thou I tell it to skip voicemail. I don't have that apk installed either, not sure if I removed it manually. I believe other people have been able to get it configured, but not working still.

I've used Titanium backup to backup GV from my EVO4G and then transferred the files to my CM6.1b4 gTablet and restored it there. Works perfectly...

Although... for some reason I cannot call out using GV :)

rothnic

Aug 18, 2010
Works on Zpad, (only Phone an Telephony present). I added a link here for the the patch on the zpad page.

Reactions: phfaty

rothnic

Aug 18, 2010
Rothnic.. Please let us know what you find out.... It would probably be just as easy to remove the apk's with root explorer, unless there's something else?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Works, but wouldn't use root explorer. You will get FC immediately after deleting the first one, and won't be able to delete the second.

rcgabriel

May 4, 2010
@rothnic had the force crash loop here last night when removing phone.apk with Root Explorer. :) The good news is I force rebooted, removed the one other APK I could find from this list, and all seems well with my tablet. But I agree with you, better to use this update.zip than to try Root Explorer, or frankly to remove these APKs when the system is running by any method. It angers the Android gods.

I gave this a shot last night using rootexplorer, I had never any battery issues but what the heck everyone else is doing it. My gtab only had 2 files when I deleted them I got into the FC loop also. After getting the Gtab to reboot It seemed to load fine but after about 30 seconds I started getting a Googleframwork FC, my market and gtalk stopped working and ever time I cleared the message things seemed to be normal but only for a little while, the tablet also started running very poorly.

In the end I had been needing to clean up a few thing I had done with the tablet and it just seemed faster to wipe and start over so that's what I did.

All is well now and until I see some battery issue I think this is where I'll stay.

rothnic

Aug 18, 2010
I gave this a shot last night using rootexplorer, I had never any battery issues but what the heck everyone else is doing it. My gtab only had 2 files when I deleted them I got into the FC loop also. After getting the Gtab to reboot It seemed to load fine but after about 30 seconds I started getting a Googleframwork FC, my market and gtalk stopped working and ever time I cleared the message things seemed to be normal but only for a little while, the tablet also started running very poorly.

In the end I had been needing to clean up a few thing I had done with the tablet and it just seemed faster to wipe and start over so that's what I did.

All is well now and until I see some battery issue I think this is where I'll stay.

Which ROM are you running?

raydog153

Nov 28, 2007
I will admit that I did not run any battery tests or longevity tests, so I don't know how much this improves battery at all, and the battery life is already great. I just know that it was using 30% of my battery, and I didn't like that since it is not a phone, and can't be a phone (at least not at the moment unless we get hacks or 3g modems working) .And I would rather use something like google voice/sykpe with this anyway.

rcgabriel

May 4, 2010

Grey - I likewise deleted the 2 APKs that were present with my ZPad 2.0 install. I believe I may have had a FC in Google Services Framework the first time I rebooted right after I deleted those APKs too, if memory serves me correctly.

However, after a second reboot, everything was completely fine, and has been fine since.

I have now rebooted probably 4-5 times, and have been very actively using my G tab for the last 48 hours or so without the phone.apk and telephonyprovider.apk files. In fact, I've gone through at least one full battery charge of usage as I was actively web browsing and using my tablet during downtime at work all day yesterday, watching video, etc.

If there were a persistent issue with Market or Google Services Framework, I am pretty sure I would have discovered it by now... I've downloaded and installed a bunch of apps via Market since.

My only caveat - I do not use Google Talk at all, which you mentioned using. Both Google Talk and Google Voice apps start fine though, no FCs there. My calendar and contacts are syncing fine. So there can't be any dependencies by the core stuff your G tablet needs on those two APKs.

My battery life is fantastic now. I believe it was good but slightly less fantastic in ZPad before deleting these APKs, but I never really measured it so I have no quantitative basis to compare.

rothnic

Aug 18, 2010
Grey - I likewise deleted the 2 APKs that were present with my ZPad 2.0 install. I believe I may have had a FC in Google Services Framework the first time I rebooted right after I deleted those APKs too, if memory serves me correctly.

However, after a second reboot, everything was completely fine, and has been fine since.

I have now rebooted probably 4-5 times, and have been very actively using my G tab for the last 48 hours or so without the phone.apk and telephonyprovider.apk files. In fact, I've gone through at least one full battery charge of usage as I was actively web browsing and using my tablet during downtime at work all day yesterday, watching video, etc.

If there were a persistent issue with Market or Google Services Framework, I am pretty sure I would have discovered it by now... I've downloaded and installed a bunch of apps via Market since.

My only caveat - I do not use Google Talk at all, which you mentioned using. Both Google Talk and Google Voice apps start fine though, no FCs there. My calendar and contacts are syncing fine. So there can't be any dependencies by the core stuff your G tablet needs on those two APKs.

My battery life is fantastic now. I believe it was good but slightly less fantastic in ZPad before deleting these APKs, but I never really measured it so I have no quantitative basis to compare.

Yeah, this was my same experience. I think I might have cleared cache also, just in case.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Works on Zpad, (only Phone an Telephony present). I added a link here for the the patch on the zpad page.