[Q] Back Button Stuck [Solution!]

Search This thread

lagghshield

Dec 11, 2010
Hi all,

I have a GT-I9000M from bell and I just recently upgrading to froyo(jk4) through kies. My phone has never been rooted/lag-fixed, unlocked and flashed before. After upgrading to froyo I have a problem with the back button being "stuck".

This does not happen all the time but occasionally at random it does and is very annoying since I am used to pressing the back button instead of the home button.

Here are the symptoms:
When I press the back button, it would appear to be stuck. The light for the back button is off(and i can't press it anymore), menu key is still light up. I can't press the menu key, I can press the home button but that just takes a screenshot because of the back key still stuck. Another thing is when I press the power button ONCE, the screen closes and then immediately turns back on.

The only way to make it "unstuck" is to press the power button since it "shuts" off the touch buttons. Even then when once I press the back button again it will get stuck. The back button will start working properly after some time randomly. I cannot relate this problem to any specific applications or actions I do. It seems to happen randomly.

I've done a factory reset before I upgraded. Did an additional two factory resets after the upgrade because of this problem and formatted my sd but the problem still persists.

What can I do to fix this problem if can be?

Thanks

EDIT: Thanks to BlackDino for the solution!
Ok, goto your dialer and type the following:
*#*#2663#*#*
Then click Touch key FW update.

Let me know if this fixes the issue for you too,
I had the same issue and after doing this I haven't seen the problem in a number of days.
This may or may not work, I have found this menu on my own and don't know if it will solve anything

EDIT2: Thanks to Kewjoe to pointing out if you're not on a i9000m rom!
Had to flash JL2 back, redo this and get the proper firmware for the i9000m. My buttons are back :)

So to be clear, do not run this command from a non-i9000m ROM or you will lose your buttons! :)

Last edited:

lagghshield

Dec 11, 2010
Well since I couldn't find any solution, I flashed back to stock jh2 but the problem still persists... I updated through kies again to jk4 but same thing. This is really annoying now. Any ideas? =/

BlackDino

Sep 11, 2010
*#*#2663#*#*

I had the same issue and after doing this I haven't seen the problem in a number of days.
This may or may not work, I have found this menu on my own and don't know if it will solve anything

Last edited:

twigggs

Sep 15, 2010
*#*#2663#*#*

I am having the same problem. Never had this problem at all with 2.1. I am also going to try your suggestion and report back.
Thank you,

lagghshield

Dec 11, 2010
So far so good. Usually by now the problem would come back. So I can confirm it works for now! Also, the touch keys seem to be a lot more responsive than before.

Thanks BlackDino!

Kewjoe

Sep 2, 2010
This actually "Broke" my back and menu buttons. I'm on Darkyy's 7.5 Rom with Speedmod Kernal K12F 512hz (JL2 Modem). I assume it probably tried to download a FW for an international i9000 and it wasn't compatible with my i9000m hardware. *shrug*.

Trying a factory reset to see if i can get my buttons back.

Kewjoe

Sep 2, 2010
Had to flash JL2 back, redo this and get the proper firmware for the i9000m. My buttons are back :)

So to be clear, do not run this command from a non-i9000m ROM or you will lose your buttons! :)

Reactions: Magus

markhole

Nov 14, 2010
This happened to me out of the blue on JL2. Luckily, it looks like the fix worked for now. Any word of this problem coming back for those who have applied the FW update? Normally i'd apply the fix and forget about it but this device is so janky...

slaman

Aug 3, 2009
This actually "Broke" my back and menu buttons. I'm on Darkyy's 7.5 Rom with Speedmod Kernal K12F 512hz (JL2 Modem). I assume it probably tried to download a FW for an international i9000 and it wasn't compatible with my i9000m hardware. *shrug*.

Trying a factory reset to see if i can get my buttons back.

Just tried this and my buttons broke as well... I am on a Bell Vibrant running the latest Doc ROM and SpeedKernel 12I with JL2 modem.

I just reboot and it's still broken... will have to flash JL2, re-run this trick, then flash the ROM back.

Last edited:

slaman

Aug 3, 2009
Wow... less than 24 hours after I got my SECOND replacement phone... the internal SD has died through this process.

Way too frustrating.

Kewjoe

Sep 2, 2010
This happened to me out of the blue on JL2. Luckily, it looks like the fix worked for now. Any word of this problem coming back for those who have applied the FW update? Normally i'd apply the fix and forget about it but this device is so janky...

It's been two weeks and several rom and kernel flashes, this issue has not reappeared.

Sent from my GT-I9000m

Reactions: Magus and Jason709

snuff96

Jun 9, 2008
Ontario
I can also say that this method worked great. Flashed back to JL2, firmware upgrade, and then flashed seeARMS rom.

Magus

Feb 14, 2007
San Isidro
It's been two weeks and several rom and kernel flashes, this issue has not reappeared.

Sent from my GT-I9000m

I need help! I have I9000T, and broke my back and menu button.
The trick worked with elcair 2.1 but I upgraded to Froyo 2.2.1 and the trick completely nullify both buttons!

Make Hard Reset and wipe factory reset and wipe data/partition, the problem still append!

anyone can help me? should downgrade to Eclair 2.1?

Thanks a lot!

cbdrift

Sep 14, 2010
I remember doing that for the screen and the keys - ive got an international i9000 with the firmware versions
phones tsp fw version : 22
parts tsp fw version : 22
tsp threshold : 70

and

phones touch key fw version : 0xa9
parts touch key fw version : 0xa9

what versions are other people running?

Magus

Feb 14, 2007
San Isidro
I remember doing that for the screen and the keys - ive got an international i9000 with the firmware versions
phones tsp fw version : 22
tsp threshold : 70

and

what versions are other people running?

I´ve GT-I9000T with

tsp fw version : 22
tsp threshold : 40

Rom
PDA: I9000XXJPY
PHONE: I9000UGJL2
CSC: I9000OXAJPY
Build Info: 2010.12

and the trick broke my buttons back and home :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *#*#2663#*#*

Sent from my GT-I9000m