Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

Pin Your Photos on Android Lollipop with Photo Pinner

In the last few weeks,we have been talking quite a bit about Android 5.0 Lollipop. This … more

Run a website on your Android Phone

OP GlobaL_TroTTer

17th December 2010, 10:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Oslo
Thanks Meter: 26

75 posts
More
*edit- For some reason, this thread got posted in Android Software and Hacking general instead of Android apps and games :-|

Hey everyone, its me again.

I have recently been using an app called Paw Server for Android. Though it may seem stupid, this app can really come in handy. The app itself is a utility for managing messages, contacts ect.. But what many people do not realise is that you can host your own website on it, wherever you go. Though this will only work over wifi, you can optionally do some port forwarding to make the site accessible over the internet.

To put a custom website on the server, do the following

1. Install PAW Server for android.

2. Mout your phone's SD-Card On your computer

3. This step has two options:

A Website:
Put your website files in /paw/html/ and make sure the index.html is in this directory. (If you need help creating a site, please visit http://cyanstatic.com)

A File explorer:
If creating a website is too much of a hassle, you can just put some files that you would like to access from your browser in /paw/html/. I Put a couple of songs and videos in the folder and had no trouble streaming the files to my browser.

4. Now open PAW and press the 'Start" Button.

Congratulations!
Your website/chosen files should now be accessible from your browser
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chart.png
Views:	284
Size:	1.0 KB
ID:	466956  
Last edited by GlobaL_TroTTer; 17th December 2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Wrong section
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GlobaL_TroTTer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th December 2010, 11:27 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 6

38 posts
More
i use swiftp, does pretty much that, though it is dedicates to do so, so i think it's a bit more comfortable
17th December 2010, 11:51 PM   |  #3  
XDA Portal Team / Senior Moderator
Flag T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...
Thanks Meter: 3,040

22,287 posts
Donate to Me
This is a great tool
Will give it a shot
18th December 2010, 12:30 AM   |  #4  
OP Member
Flag Oslo

75 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by doenis

i use swiftp, does pretty much that, though it is dedicates to do so, so i think it's a bit more comfortable

Really? So can swiftp run a web server or just file services?
25th December 2010, 05:11 AM   |  #5  
Beyond The Thunderdome
Thanks Meter: 2

133 posts
More
Wow amazing!

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
25th December 2010, 06:20 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 2

46 posts
I used PAW Server to host a WIKI on my Nexus One
I used PAW Server to host a WIKI on my Nexus One....

And it almost worked!

tiddlywiki (google it, I'm new and can't do links) is a one page wiki written in, I can't really tell because the tiddlywiki page doesn't do much about talking about how it works.

But PAW serves the pages, and some of the read/browse functions seem to work -- but I was unable to figure out how to edit a page -- and that could just be my fault.

And installing the wiki was pretty easy. I downloaded the zip file to my pc, moved it into my dropbox directory, unpacked it into a directory called wiki, and then on my phone, I synced drop box, and I moved the wiki directory into the paws/html directory. And it served up the page just fine.

But I couldn't edit it.
26th December 2010, 01:54 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 66

464 posts
More
Why does it ask for permissions to everything? ie Camera, Vibrate, etc....
This maybe unintentional with the manifest, but it looks awfully rogue when programs look for permission to things they don't use.
Last edited by mik101; 26th December 2010 at 01:56 AM.
26th December 2010, 04:05 AM   |  #8  
Switzerland
Thanks Meter: 28

154 posts
Very cool thanks for the share! Tough it doesn't make much sense serving via mobile, but i might give it a shot and see if I can use some DNS servers too, starting with dyndns.org
26th December 2010, 07:50 AM   |  #9  
Flag You know that really annoying neighbour?
Thanks Meter: 1

56 posts
Donate to Me
More
Check out Wifi Remote Access for Windows Mobile: You can do the same thing, but it also comes with a whole range of other stuff.
To edit it, you just need to go into program file, and add a folder inside public (I think) with all your website files. Then change Wifi Remote Access's default.html to redirect you there,instead of to /fs/
26th December 2010, 12:13 PM   |  #10  
OP Member
Flag Oslo

75 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik101

Why does it ask for permissions to everything? ie Camera, Vibrate, etc....
This maybe unintentional with the manifest, but it looks awfully rogue when programs look for permission to things they don't use.

This is because it comes with a site on it for managing your phone, like take pictures from the browser and send sms.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
website android
Previous Thread Next Thread