Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,143 Members 51,745 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Run a website on your Android Phone

Tip us?

GlobaL_TroTTer
Old
(Last edited by GlobaL_TroTTer; 17th December 2010 at 10:18 PM.) Reason: Wrong section
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Thumbs up Run a website on your Android Phone

*edit- For some reason, this thread got posted in Android Software and Hacking general instead of Android apps and games :-|

Hey everyone, its me again.

I have recently been using an app called Paw Server for Android. Though it may seem stupid, this app can really come in handy. The app itself is a utility for managing messages, contacts ect.. But what many people do not realise is that you can host your own website on it, wherever you go. Though this will only work over wifi, you can optionally do some port forwarding to make the site accessible over the internet.

To put a custom website on the server, do the following

1. Install PAW Server for android.

2. Mout your phone's SD-Card On your computer

3. This step has two options:

A Website:
Put your website files in /paw/html/ and make sure the index.html is in this directory. (If you need help creating a site, please visit http://cyanstatic.com)

A File explorer:
If creating a website is too much of a hassle, you can just put some files that you would like to access from your browser in /paw/html/. I Put a couple of songs and videos in the folder and had no trouble streaming the files to my browser.

4. Now open PAW and press the 'Start" Button.

Congratulations!
Your website/chosen files should now be accessible from your browser
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chart.png
Views:	282
Size:	1.0 KB
ID:	466956  
www.xalate.com- My Main Site
www.bawsy.com
www.cyanstatic.com

NEXUS ONE <3
cyanogen mod 7 rc3
43 on linpack- stock, 980mhz
now overclocked to 1.1 ghz
Clockworkmod Recovery
Rooted, Duh
NEXUS ONE <3
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GlobaL_TroTTer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

doenis
Old
Thanks Meter 6
i use swiftp, does pretty much that, though it is dedicates to do so, so i think it's a bit more comfortable

orb3000
Old
XDA Portal Team / Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 3029
Location: T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...

DONATE TO ME
This is a great tool
Will give it a shot
orb

HTC One M8 - HTC Butterfly S - HTC Universal

XDA is about developing and is for developers. Any user that recognizes that will gain the most benefit from this site

This is and always will be a site for developers, pure and simple. Without them we are nothing, without them there would be no reason for XDA Developers to exist; we should never ever forget that. Without them this place would not be called XDA-Developers but something else, e.g Mobile Phone User Support Services For Ungrateful Nerds.

Previous devices: HTC: Treo 650 - Excalibur - Diamond - Diamond 2 - Maple - HD2 - Rhodium - Desire Z - Desire HD - Vivid - Sensation - One V - One X - Titan II - One X+ - DNA - Butterfly

GlobaL_TroTTer
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by doenis View Post
i use swiftp, does pretty much that, though it is dedicates to do so, so i think it's a bit more comfortable
Really? So can swiftp run a web server or just file services?
www.bawsy.com
www.cyanstatic.com

NEXUS ONE <3
cyanogen mod 7 rc3
Clockworkmod Recovery
Rooted, Duh
NEXUS ONE <3

Hotshot205
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Wow amazing!

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

jerryasher
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default I used PAW Server to host a WIKI on my Nexus One

I used PAW Server to host a WIKI on my Nexus One....

And it almost worked!

tiddlywiki (google it, I'm new and can't do links) is a one page wiki written in, I can't really tell because the tiddlywiki page doesn't do much about talking about how it works.

But PAW serves the pages, and some of the read/browse functions seem to work -- but I was unable to figure out how to edit a page -- and that could just be my fault.

And installing the wiki was pretty easy. I downloaded the zip file to my pc, moved it into my dropbox directory, unpacked it into a directory called wiki, and then on my phone, I synced drop box, and I moved the wiki directory into the paws/html directory. And it served up the page just fine.

But I couldn't edit it.

mik101
Old
(Last edited by mik101; 26th December 2010 at 01:56 AM.)
Thanks Meter 66
Why does it ask for permissions to everything? ie Camera, Vibrate, etc....
This maybe unintentional with the manifest, but it looks awfully rogue when programs look for permission to things they don't use.

RunTimeWorld
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Very cool thanks for the share! Tough it doesn't make much sense serving via mobile, but i might give it a shot and see if I can use some DNS servers too, starting with dyndns.org

drnessie
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Check out Wifi Remote Access for Windows Mobile: You can do the same thing, but it also comes with a whole range of other stuff.
To edit it, you just need to go into program file, and add a folder inside public (I think) with all your website files. Then change Wifi Remote Access's default.html to redirect you there,instead of to /fs/

GlobaL_TroTTer
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik101 View Post
Why does it ask for permissions to everything? ie Camera, Vibrate, etc....
This maybe unintentional with the manifest, but it looks awfully rogue when programs look for permission to things they don't use.
This is because it comes with a site on it for managing your phone, like take pictures from the browser and send sms.
www.bawsy.com
www.cyanstatic.com

NEXUS ONE <3
cyanogen mod 7 rc3
Clockworkmod Recovery
Rooted, Duh
NEXUS ONE <3

Tags
website android