So guess what, we aren't gonna get AOSP Gingerbread(says the 2.3 AOSP guy)

Search This thread

Deathwish238

May 29, 2009
ATX
The Dream can barely handle FroYo, I don't know how well it would handle Gingerbread.

Does anyone actually have their G1 running quickly on a FroYo ROM? CM is pretty damn slow.

roalex

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 29, 2009
Bucuresti
The Dream can barely handle FroYo, I don't know how well it would handle Gingerbread.

Does anyone actually have their G1 running quickly on a FroYo ROM? CM is pretty damn slow.

yes, CM itself can be set up right for once, then are the OTA roms who are with less things...so they run quite good and ofc the AOSP froyo roms.

Deathwish238

May 29, 2009
ATX
What setup is needed for CM to be fast? I don't need any features, just speed. If there's a better FroYo ROM for that I'm open to switching.

Gingerbread on the Dream will happen...I have no doubt about that. The question is how well it'll run. If only the Dream had a little more RAM...

bonesy

Jan 28, 2009
Cornwall, united kingdom
Come on man when have we "never" been able to get an update? Im gonna take a wild stab in the dark and say we will still be getting roms for at least another 2 years!

MentalDeath

Apr 6, 2010
Ontario
Come on man when have we "never" been able to get an update? Im gonna take a wild stab in the dark and say we will still be getting roms for at least another 2 years!

I don't know about that, because I'm pretty sure Honeycomb or whatever they decide to call Android 3.0 has a minimum requirement for 1GHz processor so the Hero, Sapphire and Dream might be out of luck, especially the Hero because they're still stuck with the 2.6.29 kernel. 3.0 might be possible but I doubt 2 yrs of new Android ROMs is plausible.

ezterry

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
AOSP gingerbread running on my Dream..
So seems mostly a go.. will require some poking for a true release but not that bad.

A

AdrianK

If it's not officially supported in AOSP, does that mean we'll be without camera drivers?

Jurai

May 26, 2010
What setup is needed for CM to be fast? I don't need any features, just speed. If there's a better FroYo ROM for that I'm open to switching.

Gingerbread on the Dream will happen...I have no doubt about that. The question is how well it'll run. If only the Dream had a little more RAM...

check out the 2708 radio+kernels. By switching to the new radios released for the mytouch + kernel with support, you gain back an extra chunk of ram for os use. Definitely helps out froyo builds

ezterry

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2010
Asheville, NC
If it's not officially supported in AOSP, does that mean we'll be without camera drivers?

camera (with the minimal poking to get it to compile) is working :)

No release because many bits of this are easy to fix

> wifi works
> camera works

> hw3d I think is working .. but lanuncher/3d gallery/keyboard are running a bit slow .. and we know the port to 2.2 of launcher/keyboard run fine
> bluetooth no-go but that is just because I'm using a sapphire firmware (easy to swap)
> gsensor no go.. I think this will be a relatively easy thing to correct. API change confused it.

Taking a break from testing while I make a repo to work from

Deathwish238

May 29, 2009
ATX
I don't know about that, because I'm pretty sure Honeycomb or whatever they decide to call Android 3.0 has a minimum requirement for 1GHz processor so the Hero, Sapphire and Dream might be out of luck, especially the Hero because they're still stuck with the 2.6.29 kernel. 3.0 might be possible but I doubt 2 yrs of new Android ROMs is plausible.

Honeycomb (Android 3.0 or 2.4....who knows) will not require a 1Ghz CPU.

protomanez

Aug 26, 2009
I'm Up There Eh?
Still don't understand why you people want gingerbread so much. The time it takes to get something that was never intended to even be ran on the G1 was at least a year or so and that was only with eclair and froyo. We can't run a lot of things because of the lack of ram like jit. Everything lacks now, even the gpu.

Please stop with all this silly nonsense about Gingerbread threads and just be patient. I have little faith in the project, as most original devs have completely moved onto different devices which are easier. Not saying the new devs are bad, I'm just saying we lost a lot of veteran support on the G1.

Why not just use something fast on your G1 that won't fry it's sockets after 5 hours of use?

Reactions: aniym and Ace42

MentalDeath

Apr 6, 2010
Ontario
Honeycomb (Android 3.0 or 2.4....who knows) will not require a 1Ghz CPU.

Alright I shall take your word for it.

Still don't understand why you people want gingerbread so much. The time it takes to get something that was never intended to even be ran on the G1 was at least a year or so and that was only with eclair and froyo. We can't run a lot of things because of the lack of ram like jit. Everything lacks now, even the gpu.

Please stop with all this silly nonsense about Gingerbread threads and just be patient. I have little faith in the project, as most original devs have completely moved onto different devices which are easier. Not saying the new devs are bad, I'm just saying we lost a lot of veteran support on the G1.

Why not just use something fast on your G1 that won't fry it's sockets after 5 hours of use?

People just want to have the newest, and humans like pushing limits (in this case of the G1).

zzrssh

Jun 8, 2009
check out the 2708 radio+kernels. By switching to the new radios released for the mytouch + kernel with support, you gain back an extra chunk of ram for os use. Definitely helps out froyo builds

Not only that, look at ezterry's mt3g port of froyo. 2708 radio/kernel + mt3g = hot fastness. Loaded it on two G1s, the gf loves how much faster it is than the other froyo roms we've tried. Probably has to do with the fact ezterry's port is nearly completely stock (it is without the parts update).

Ace42

Jul 20, 2009
USA
Moto G Power
Motorola Edge

(keep hitting thnks buttn by mistake on every post xD)

Anyway I think 2.3 will be too much for the G1/MT3G to handle, it already struggles with 2.2 so 2.3 is over doing it. Battery will not be very good, as most phones with 2.2 now have 512+ ram as the standard. To get the best experience you'll need faster hw to support the effects,apps,etc...2.1 is the furthest i would go w/ a g1, but 1.6 is where the best perf is. I would go with a new phone if you wanna enjoy 2.3.

p.s. not trying to discourage anyone, just stating facts

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.