Quote:
Originally Posted by $aur0n View Post
If threat "free" command as a normal Linux cmd
"used" - memory used for any kind of data
"free" - real _unused_ memory
but from user point of view - on Linux systems there is (usually) much more free memory, since there are caches and buffers - and they can be flushed out, if there is such a need. If you want to know exactly how memory is occupied
"cat /proc/meminfo"

Anyway - Archos made a really bad decision putting only 256MB in Gen8 - in my opinion that's sucks most in this device.

ps. Anyone already opened Gen8 device? Since 8gb storage is reported as mmc/sd card - perhaps it's easy to clone it outside the box - just in case
Thanks for the info... i've spent some time looking into it and now i understand much better how android is dealing with apps and how to use different approaches to get the most out of the system. Forinstance i would always home button out of an app but now i undersand there are times when its better to back out of an app. This has been crucial to making the experience really work for me.

Frankly with this firmware and with extremely frugal settings on my behalf, I have had no lag and no crashes. My A5IT would stutter and pause for 5 seconds with the same frugal settings once the reported free memory dropped to around 25-30 mb (after opening 3 or 4 apps) wheras my 43 IT always floats arund 50mb and i never kill anything (except the browser occasionally). The real free RAM (revealed in the free and cat commands) is actually close to zero almost all the time but this seems to work great.

I was worried about losing the ability to swap but in practice i would have no use for it as it could not run any faster than it does now and farting around with temprooting would just end up being too much of a hassle.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!