[Q] Buy Nexus 10?

Search This thread

Lither

May 28, 2012
I'm interested in purchasing the Nexus 10 32GB tablet for £389 on Google Play Store but have few questions I want to ask before buying as I never owned a tablet before,

1. I heard the Nexus 10 has a locked bootloader, is it easy to unlock it to root and install custom ROM?

2. Is it easy to root the tablet?

3. I want to stay as stock as possible, is there any custom ROM out there that is based on the original 4.4.2 firmware with few performance tweaks and deodexed apps?

4. Does this tablet have alot of wakelocks which stops it from deep sleep which will drain the battery?

5. Any problems with this tablet I should know?

Mr_Jay_jay

May 8, 2012
Chi-Town!!
I'm interested in purchasing the Nexus 10 32GB tablet for £389 on Google Play Store but have few questions I want to ask before buying as I never owned a tablet before,

1. I heard the Nexus 10 has a locked bootloader, is it easy to unlock it to root and install custom ROM?

2. Is it easy to root the tablet?

3. I want to stay as stock as possible, is there any custom ROM out there that is based on the original 4.4.2 firmware with few performance tweaks and deodexed apps?

4. Does this tablet have alot of wakelocks which stops it from deep sleep which will drain the battery?

5. Any problems with this tablet I should know?

I'm very surprised none has answer this... Here's my answer to the best of my knowledge:

1.- yes it comes with a lock bootloader , it's unlocks super easy I used Wug's root tool:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2015467

2.- Wug's root toolkit does it for you too!

3.- Sure Here's one example of a Odex or deodex Rom:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2529492

4.- Wakelocks not more than the next tablet or cellphone all have a solution if any exist.. so many tutorials all over XDA how to handle wakelock.

5.- ONLY real problem I see with these tablet is the lack of a SD card slot.. other than that I love the screen, it handles very well just about any game.

Lither

May 28, 2012
Wakelocks not more than the next tablet or cellphone all have a solution if any exist.. so many tutorials all over XDA how to handle wakelock.
I've wakelocks on my Galaxy S4 which I use Greenify to hibernate the apps but it uses XPosed which I've a game which doesn't run if it detects XPosed is installed due to cheating or something like that, but probably will use Titanium Backup to freeze Google Play Store and Service if not needed at that time

ONLY real problem I see with these tablet is the lack of a SD card slot.. other than that I love the screen, it handles very well just about any game.
I agree but I'll be getting the 32GB version so I hope there's plenty of space for me since the 16GB is out of stock

Also what advantages or features is there between CM (Manta) and stock 4.4.2?

Last edited:

nigelhealy

Aug 3, 2012
Preston
I agree but I'll be getting the 32GB version so I hope there's plenty of space for me since the 16GB is out of stock

I got 32gb and that cover enough to rarely need more plus with rooting and otg cable you can use USB storage. I use a 500gb NTFS drive works with stickmount and selinux mode changer

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
Just some heads up this tablet is pretty good with only one account but when you add multiple users it starts to slow down. I have 3 on mine and I have to reboot whenever switching from one to another now or it'll lag because of ram used by other account. If you only use one it'll be great though. It's still great for me either way though I wouldn't mind an upgrade

Sent from my white Nexus 5 using xda-developers app.
Please press the thanks button if I help you.

Mr_Jay_jay

May 8, 2012
Chi-Town!!
I've wakelocks on my Galaxy S4 which I use Greenify to hibernate the apps but it uses XPosed which I've a game which doesn't run if it detects XPosed is installed due to cheating or something like that, but probably will use Titanium Backup to freeze Google Play Store and Service if not needed at that time

Also what advantages or features is there between CM (Manta) and stock 4.4.2?

yea google will no longer stock the nexus 10 i read that a few days back... some think because nexus 10 2 is coming soon.

Yea I got the 32GB as well.. u get like 27GB for storage the rest it's for system and stuff, but yea u have more than enough but it's always nice to have the option..

CM,AOKP,Paranoid,Pac-man, OMNI, they all have special features and are very different from any stock Rom, I would tell you but what fun would that be lol :D... get it, root it and flash on and see for yourself.. I'm sure u will find something u will enjoy

BTW Greenify doesn't require Xposed Framework, unless u want to activate a few extra options or if u have the donate version, I have it on my phone and I don't have Xposed.

Lither

May 28, 2012
yea google will no longer stock the nexus 10 i read that a few days back... some think because nexus 10 2 is coming soon
I was going to wait for the Nexus 10 2nd Gen but since there's no actual release date, it could be ages away and isn't made by Samsung as it wasn't mentioned in CES yesterday

BTW Greenify doesn't require Xposed Framework, unless u want to activate a few extra options or if u have the donate version, I have it on my phone and I don't have Xposed.
Yeah, I've the donate version which allows me to greenify GCM apps but still get notifications which requires XPosed for the extra features