Halfway to the SIP functionallity

Search This thread

jjwatmyself

Feb 7, 2009
I would agree that adb is the better way, as copying these files in the phone ui had a near fatal impact for me.

On an off topic note, the overall SIP features and functionality of android's native phone is not anything to write home about (8khz), but it is convenient. It lacks support for something as simple g.722 and would make the world of difference for those of us that have other sip phones where16 kHz audio is the norm.

alankeny

Mar 13, 2010
OK, I can confirm now that SIP voice quality is bad and does sound very strange... :(

Thanks for confirming it's not just my phone.

As jjwatmyself points out, even at its best the native SIP client isn't that good. When I had it working on another phone on an earlier version of Android, it would often lose the SIP registration, and there was no way to tell there was a problem.

I think I'm going to put my energy into getting CSIPSimple working better. I'm having mic issues with it too, but it's not distorting the audio. I'm just having problems with dropouts and echo. There are enough settings to adjust in CSS, it should be possible to clear these up. I'll open a thread in the QA forum for that though.

-Alan

piskr

Sep 17, 2007
Sony Xperia 5 IV
Sony Xperia 1 V
Thanks for confirming it's not just my phone.

As jjwatmyself points out, even at its best the native SIP client isn't that good. When I had it working on another phone on an earlier version of Android, it would often lose the SIP registration, and there was no way to tell there was a problem.

I think I'm going to put my energy into getting CSIPSimple working better. I'm having mic issues with it too, but it's not distorting the audio. I'm just having problems with dropouts and echo. There are enough settings to adjust in CSS, it should be possible to clear these up. I'll open a thread in the QA forum for that though.

-Alan

I must confirm that native SIP client doesn't serve the real purpose. I tested it and I shall say that there is an obvious progress from 4.4 where you can obtain the connection but there wasn't any voice transmission. Now you have voice on both sides but as on the side of SIP client the voice is normal, on the other side is heavily disorted: it is choppy and harmonic frequences are added. In fact it is hard to understand and therefore native SIP is unacceptable for everyday use.

As there are other reports for different phones having the same issue with KItKat I believe that this is an Android's failure not Moto's. It seems that error occurs as mutual codec and echo cancellation absence failure. Hopefully it wil be solved in the next release as certain progress has been already made.

But I must say that CSIPSIMPLE works amazingly well for me. I set alaw as my primary codec and ulaw as next and disable all other codecs (first I checked with my voip provider wich codecs are supported). There is clear voice on both sides and first time ever since I've used voip, the jitter lag is acceptable what means that it doesn't cause the disturbing gap between listening the other side and speaking. I can recomend this program (I tried the others too but this one is the only without significant flaws) and hope for native SIP with 4.5.

alankeny

Mar 13, 2010
But I must say that CSIPSIMPLE works amazingly well for me. I set alaw as my primary codec and ulaw as next and disable all other codecs (first I checked with my voip provider wich codecs are supported). There is clear voice on both sides and first time ever since I've used voip, the jitter lag is acceptable what means that it doesn't cause the disturbing gap between listening the other side and speaking. I can recomend this program (I tried the others too but this one is the only without significant flaws) and hope for native SIP with 4.5.

On another off topic note, do you use echo cancellation in CSIPSimple? If so have you changed any of its settings?

piskr

Sep 17, 2007
Sony Xperia 5 IV
Sony Xperia 1 V
On another off topic note, do you use echo cancellation in CSIPSimple? If so have you changed any of its settings?

Yes, I use echo cancellation without any modifications. I chose advance settings and unified codecs both for wifi and mobile data, otherwise I selected compact data transmission and set filter for voip (to replace initial 0 with the country code). Then defined my mobile number as identification and that's pretty all.

piskr

Sep 17, 2007
Sony Xperia 5 IV
Sony Xperia 1 V
SIP fix

It has turned out that I was correct suspecting that broken SIP in 4.4.2 is rather Android than Motorola's problem. The changelog for Android 4.4.3 is:

Frequent data connection dropout fix
mm-qcamera-daemon crash and optimization fixes
Camera focus in regular and HDR modes fixes
Power Manager display wakelock fix
Multiple Bluetooth fixes
Fix for a random reboot
App shortcuts sometimes got removed from launcher after update
USB debugging security fix
App shortcuts security fix
Wi-Fi auto-connect fix
Other camera fixes
MMS, Email/Exchange, Calendar, People/Dialer/Contacts, DSP, IPv6, VPN fixes
Stuck in activation screen fix
Missed call LED fix
Subtitle fixes
Data usage graph fix
Internet telephony fix
FCC compliance fix
Miscellaneous fixes

So internet telephony will be fixed with the next upgrade. It doesn't surprise me as Google intends to integrate voice into Hangouts and therefore move toward internet calling as well. In fact with LTE and LTE advanced techology the process of transmission voice between base stations is becoming more and more obsolete. Near future is in voip. We are witnessing the same development as years before happened with fixed telephony. Broadband networks shift mobile operations and provider's profits from voice transmission to data transmission.

Hopefully Motorola will upgrade soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Moto X Developer Edition, 4.4.2
    Managed to get SIP working.
    Attached is what you will need to copy to appropriate folders. Make sure that you checked all permissions
    I also deleted android.software.sip.xml file (in System\etc\permissions)
    Tested with SIPNET.RU, called myself and successfully had a chat with my own voicemail :)
    hope this helps
    Today I've played a little with the native SIP. I found out that the file "android.software.sip.voip" is missing. I pushed this file to etc/permissions, changed permissions to rw-r-r and voila! - after rebooting the missing internet calling part appeard in my dialer settings menu. I managed to set my voip provider credentials and enabled SIP. I called a few numbers and apparentlly got the connection (the called person confirmed it and i can saw it in my voip billing list) but nobody could hear the other one and dialer was frozen. it is not the common SIP issue, i can use CSIPSIMPLE without any problems. I'm attaching the missing file if somebody is interested in further research regarding native voip on moto x.
    I tried enable the native SIP settings using a Xposed module. The behavior was the same, SIP account connected, no sound and Phone app frozen.

Enviado de meu XT1058 usando Tapatalk
    Just a question, so I can expand my knowledge base.
    What is the importance of VOIP on a cell phone?

Slapped the sh*t out of my X

When I go to another country I use VOIP to all my calls. It is much more cheap.

Some free services (here in Brazil called 0800 calls) don't work with cell phones, but there is no problem with VOIP.

In some forms I need a wired phone number, because they don't accept cell phone numbers. The VOIP number is ok.

My VOIP number is from my local area. So, if I am in USA, Egypt or Japan, anyone from my Brazilian local area can call me with a local call. They pay the same price to call me on the other side of the planet or to call the neighbour across the street.

Enviado de meu XT1058 usando Tapatalk
    Just a question, so I can expand my knowledge base.
    What is the importance of VOIP on a cell phone?

Say you live in a place with terrible service, not just bad 4G or 3G, but everything bad service. Or perhaps say when you're at work and your building sucks and you get no service... but these places you do have Wi-Fi. For me, this is work; the building sucks, I get no service, but we have Wi-Fi. With VoIP you can place calls via the internet if you don't have service. I can still place and receive calls to my VoIP number on my phone if I have Wi-Fi and have airplane mode on and Wi-Fi enabled. Except the Moto X on Verizon doesn't seem to support it, they want you to use their networks.