[Q] Battery draining instantly from 30% to 0

Search This thread

just2jays

May 28, 2014
Hey all,

Thanks for looking at this in advance.

Total Droid noob here...I purchased my first android device about 2 weeks ago, a Galaxy S5 on AT&T (Love it!)

Needless to say, I haven't really done much of anything out of the ordinary with it.
I've installed a few official Apps from the Play Store and nothing else. No custom roms, no random apps/packages from the web, etc.

Just today, my phone was sitting idle (asleep) next to me as it always does at my desk. I looked at it to check the battery and it showed about 51%. No issue at all with that...I used to it to read my RSS feeds, listen to Spotify, and a bunch of other things on my way into work.

However, maybe a little over an hour or so, I went back to check on it...and the device was completely off.
0% battery, completely drained...

I was baffled, but this was the second time I had seen this happen. The first time it I ignored it, figuring I was just drunk or something. But now, I feel like I'm going crazy!

A friend told me to check the 'Battery' info inside Settings.

Granted Instagram was high on that list, using like 14% of battery or whatever...but thats not what struck me. It was the graph depicting the battery use (SEE ATTACHED)

Notice that it went from ~30% to 0 pretty much instantly

Basically, I'm coming on here as a noob with a few questions:

is this normal? is this known? is there a solution? should I return my phone?

Thanks a ton for any help you all can provide.
Please let me know if you need any more information, screenshots, etc.

Attachments

• 0mojUmd.png
    0mojUmd.png
    163.3 KB · Views: 82

DP1980

May 28, 2014
Nothing to worry about, mate. Stuff like that does happen time to time. It may have been miscalibration on the software part. If the problem persists, than you shoul check for the battery malfunction.

mediumsteak

Nov 25, 2010
Toronto ON
Regardless of the platform, sometimes an app misbehaves and causes abnormal battery usage.

When you notice your battery level decreasing at an alarming rate when idling, reboot the phone and it should be fine.

yulapkan

May 12, 2010
Hey all,

Thanks for looking at this in advance.

Total Droid noob here...I purchased my first android device about 2 weeks ago, a Galaxy S5 on AT&T (Love it!)

Needless to say, I haven't really done much of anything out of the ordinary with it.
I've installed a few official Apps from the Play Store and nothing else. No custom roms, no random apps/packages from the web, etc.

Just today, my phone was sitting idle (asleep) next to me as it always does at my desk. I looked at it to check the battery and it showed about 51%. No issue at all with that...I used to it to read my RSS feeds, listen to Spotify, and a bunch of other things on my way into work.

However, maybe a little over an hour or so, I went back to check on it...and the device was completely off.
0% battery, completely drained...

I was baffled, but this was the second time I had seen this happen. The first time it I ignored it, figuring I was just drunk or something. But now, I feel like I'm going crazy!

A friend told me to check the 'Battery' info inside Settings.

Granted Instagram was high on that list, using like 14% of battery or whatever...but thats not what struck me. It was the graph depicting the battery use (SEE ATTACHED)

Notice that it went from ~30% to 0 pretty much instantly

Basically, I'm coming on here as a noob with a few questions:

is this normal? is this known? is there a solution? should I return my phone?

Thanks a ton for any help you all can provide.
Please let me know if you need any more information, screenshots, etc.

I am from another device (Sony Xperia Z1) and I suffer the same problem with you bro. Still figuring how to fix this. This is freaking me out. :crying: