Search This thread

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4

Perfect! :highfive:

And I see you threw in init.d support and all the goodies in /sbin/fkbootscript.sh (lmk whitelist, etc.). All these boys need is my safer updater-script for the manta zips and they're golden. :cowboy:

Looks like my work here is done. ;) Thanks for all the fun testing, tweaking and hanging out, everyone! :D

---------- Post added at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Haha oh wait, I forgot about cfq. :p

Pretty sure it'll be the same trick, Francisco. Just double the corrected values we worked out for the grouper/mako source. :good:

Last edited:

franciscofranco

Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
Carcavelos
Perfect! :highfive:

And I see you threw in init.d support and all the goodies in /sbin/fkbootscript.sh (lmk whitelist, etc.). All these boys need is my safer updater-script for the manta zips and they're golden. :cowboy:

Looks like my work here is done. ;) Thanks for all the fun testing, tweaking and hanging out, everyone! :D

---------- Post added at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Haha oh wait, I forgot about cfq. :p

Pretty sure it'll be the same trick, Francisco. Just double the values we worked out for the mako source. :good:

Yup, I forgot CFQ also, no big deal for now though ;)

shahed26

Jul 16, 2011
London
Thanks Franco for another great update. Am a bit confused and cant make my mind up on which cpu governor to use.

Which governor would you recommend for daily general use? I do mostly surfing, YouTube, and pretty intensive gaming at times as well

Right now am on Interactive/deadline with no one other settings altered.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

stonebear

Sep 26, 2011
Whats everyone using to set governors and oc/uc settings?

Ta

Franco's own app or Trickster.

OK, I am somewhat confused now, Trickster is showing extra options for Interactive with 11 compared to 10. Also I thought Franco was using the winning tunables? It doesn't look like it to me cos for example, highspeed_delay is supposed to be 1500 but it is set at 3000 in r11? Boost pulse duration is different too, the others are the same, I think.

Here are two screenies, the first one is r10 with winning tunables as per Phillys screenshot yesterday (except go_hispeed_load - 85 is my own preference) and second one is r11 default.

Can someone clear this up for me pls? :fingers-crossed:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-13-09-14-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-13-09-14-01.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 391
  • Screenshot_2013-05-13-11-05-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-13-11-05-59.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
Reactions: pinn___________

pinn___________

Jan 8, 2010
Middlesbrough
Samsung Galaxy S8

OK, I am somewhat confused now, Trickster is showing extra options for Interactive with 11 compared to 10. Also I thought Franco was using the winning tunables? It doesn't look like it to me cos for example, highspeed_delay is supposed to be 1500 but it is set at 3000 in r11? Boost pulse duration is different too, the others are the same, I think.

Here are two screenies, the first one is r10 with winning tunables as per Phillys screenshot yesterday (except go_hispeed_load - 85 is my own preference) and second one is r11 default.

Looks like the Trickster app was updated yesterday , could be why the extra options

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010

OK, I am somewhat confused now, Trickster is showing extra options for Interactive with 11 compared to 10. Also I thought Franco was using the winning tunables? It doesn't look like it to me cos for example, highspeed_delay is supposed to be 1500 but it is set at 3000 in r11? Boost pulse duration is different too, the others are the same, I think

The r11 changelog also says it has the new version of Interactive.
Is boostpulse_duration editable now? normally I see it as hardcoded.

phillysmako

Mar 1, 2013
I think its still hard coded cause when I change it it keeps reverting back to default, I could be wrong tho but the kernel is running great

stonebear

Sep 26, 2011
You prefer interactive over on demand?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Not sure really, lol. They both work well. But there has been a fair bit of talk over the last 5-6 pages about Interactive with some tweaks by Osmosis that make Interactive work a lot better than it usually does on the Manta.

osm0sis

Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4

If we're trying to match the grouper ones exactly here is what should be in there:

above_hispeed_delay 15000 (not 30000)
boost 0
boostpulse_duration 80000 (not 45000)
go_hispeed_load 90
hispeed_freq 1000 MHz
io_is_busy 1
min_sample_time 45000
target_loads 80
timer_rate 30000
timer_slack 80000 (not 120000)

Just took a look at the commit, it's mostly because of other calculations that occur in the interactive source based on the new hardcoded ones. Like timer_slack is 4*timer_rate usually - so 20000*4=80000 - but since we changed timer_rate, timer_slack will need to be hardcoded too to keep it at 80000. I actually don't see anything for the above_hispeed_delay so I'm not sure if he just missed it or left it intentionally; you'll have to ask. I'll leave a note on the commit for Francisco. :)

Feel free to follow along on github next time, you can always see when Francisco's working behind the scenes and double check stuff you're wondering about yourselves: https://github.com/franciscofranco/manta/commit/c4376a65837f229abbad8faa622a22e351737289 :good: :cool:

Edit: above_hispeed_delay defaults to equal timer_rate, so that's why they're both 30000 now. And boostpulse_duration defaults to equal min_sample_time so that's why they're both 45000. ;) Left notes for both.

Last edited:

zoomy942

Jun 5, 2007
Maybe interactive will become the default? Seems really smooth so far

osm0sis

Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
Yeah the winning tunables we originally developed on grouper seem to be rocking it by all reports. Only thing that could make interactive any better (and might also help ondemand) would be to reduce the actual number of frequency steps to 7 tops; interactive seemed to perform much better when we switched from 13 100 Mhz steps back to the 5 stock frequency steps on grouper:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=40298338&postcount=594

I'd guess Francisco hardcoded the interactive tunables since he wants to keep ondemand the default though. :)

Last edited:

newellj79

Jan 2, 2011
OnePlus 8
Are all these awesome tunables being mentioned set by default? Also does anybody know trickstermod works to lock the max speed at something less than 1700, even after a screen wake?

stonebear

Sep 26, 2011
Are all these awesome tunables being mentioned set by default? Also does anybody know trickstermod works to lock the max speed at something less than 1700, even after a screen wake?

No, Osm0sis just explained which are not set by default, the ones in bold in his post and yes, if you set "lock frequency" in Trickster it will keep the max speed like you want. :)

Reactions: newellj79

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all. I hate bloated OP's so this is a simple one. I don't post changelogs in here, only when I released new versions so you'll have to search for it.

Just for general awareness this is compatible with CyanogenMod based roms.

Download:
    http://192.241.177.15/Nexus10/4.4/

How to flash:
    fastboot flash boot image_name
    or
    flash the zip in your custom recovery

Source:
    https://github.com/franciscofranco/manta/tree/nightlies-4.4

Kernel changelog:
    http://192.241.177.15/Nexus10/4.4/appfiles/changelog.xml

franco.Kernel updater Free apk: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1867127

F.A.Q.
    1. My tablet exploded, halp!
    A: I don't answer to problems without a log. The log file is in /proc/last_kmsg. Retrieve it from your device and attach it to your post.
    2. This kernel works on Y or X rom?
    A: This is one of the worse questions you can ask on my threads. This is a Nexus, it works on every rom you can possibly imagine.
    3. OMG BETTARY SUCKZ, IT DEAD IN 45 MINUTAS, HALP!
    A: As you can imagine I don't build kernels to decrease battery life. All the battery life problems come from your apps, either Facebook, or Maps, or some Location Service being enabled etc etc. Check your damn wakelocks and fix them, the kernel is not responsible for them.
    4. How do I flash this?
    A: Reading the OP, theres a reason why I added instructions on it.
    Hey guys. I've been doing a lot of idle tests because I've tweaked the power states latency on this device and I've got great results, so here is r8. Contains that lower latency which means it will enter and leave the C power states much faster which will probably achieve a good battery boost. Also contains a few tweaks to the memory bus frequencies adding a little bit of throughput when needed and some patches from upstream. I still haven't got time to look into to some Color Control on this display, I'll try to look at it further during the weekend, work has been hectic.
    4.2.2 kernel source are out, later when Im off work I'll release a kernel compatible and a few other changes I have in mind - I was waiting for 4.2.2 ro update this kernel.
    r13
    * Compatible with 4.3
    * Compatible with CyanogenMod and its derivates
    * Added ROW I/O and made default
    * Lots of I/O patches from upstream
    * Updated interactive governor to its last version from Android's gerrit
    * Updated CPUidle subsystem so that the device spends more time at the deepest states for better power consumption
    * Merged patches from Colin Cross to decrease power consumption
    * Updated the Wi-Fi driver to its latest version from Android's gerrit
    * Merged USB Audio changes from CyanogenMod to enable the usage of USB DAC's plugged to this device
    * Partitions properly mounted for increased I/O performance
    * Removed lots of debug from the Kernel
    * Disabled memory throttling if the device hits thermal throttling point
    I'd like to wish you all a Merry Christmas, lots of food, kisses, hugs, and quality time.

Thanks for sticking with FK even though this is not one of my priorities Kernel wise, although I promise to be more active like I did with the latest two releases. Very happy with r15 - but more improvements are coming.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app