[APP] Flip4Silence 2.0 - Silence notifications when your phone is flipped!

Search This thread

Luminger

Oct 13, 2010
Flip4Silence 2.0 BETA
Silence notifications when your phone is flipped - battery friendly!

Flip4Silence is back! It's just an BETA version but it already serves its purpose: Silence notifications when the phone lays upside down on the table! And the best thing about this, it doesn't eat up your battery (like other tools do)!

I just finished the BETA and I'm currently testing it. But as I think it could be useful to someone in this state I just made it public. Please be so kind and keep in mind that this is not the final and probably will not act as reliable as it should. I will do my best to fix any bugs which are found, so please report your problems back.

If you are a ROM chief or have a custom ROM installed:
I have planned to migrate this tool to a "one for all" tone silencer. Unfortunately this requires a patch (which is attached to this post) to allow the user to set the tones as the system defaults. The patch is also posted on the AOSP gerrit and may be accepted (don't know if they like the patch) and I will try to integrate it into CM9.

If you are a ROM chief and would like to integrate the patch and the (upcoming) tool feel free to contact me via pm.

If you are a user of a custom ROM feel free to encourage your ROM chief to integrate the patch.

Feel free to contact me if you have integrated the patch somewhere, especially if it's a ROM for the Galaxy Nexus or Nexus One as I would like to use it on my own phones :D

Attention:
If you had a previous version installed I'm very sorry to tell you that you have to REASSIGN every single ringtone you have selected with F4S Ultimate before again due to a internal incompatible change!

What it gives you:
  • Silence nearly every notification!
  • Is planned to be a full replacement for every ringtone picker (please tell me what you want from your ringtone picker)
  • It's nice to your battery as it's only active when something happens and not all the time.
  • More control over the sensitivity used (no more "low", "high", "normal", you are in charge now!).
  • MP3 ringtones are now supported! The UI is not really finished, it's at least planned to add the album covers to the list.
  • "Silence when user is present" - never get a notification sound again when you are playing with your device and don't need a audio notification.

What it can't do:
  • You can't use it to put silenced ringtones into the default settings. Please never ever put a silenced ringtone into your phone ringer or the default notification sound. It will just not work (and will never), trust me. However, you can put in a "unsilenced" ringtone (more later).
  • Currently the sensors will report strange results if you have vibration on while a ringtone is played. It lacks a good filtering, so it's not really usable currently.

How to use it?
It has currently no settings dialog at all, it is just a alternative to pick a ringtone. When you select somewhere a "Choose a ringtone now" button it will be an option which you can launch.

When you select your tones with the tool it will more or less look like the standard ringtone picker with some exceptions. On the bottom you will see a list with all ringtones you may pick from. When you select them, they will be played as a preview to you (just like the stock ringtone picker does). When you have found your ringtone just hit the tick button at the top bar and you are done. It will now silence this (and only this) notification when the phone lays on its display. When you want to discard your selection just hit the cross on the top, the back button of your phone or the home button, it's your choice.

The really interesting thing is the speaker icon at the top bar. It works the following way:
When you see the muted speaker (speaker with X) the ringtone will be silenced when you hit the tick button (sure, it will only be muted when the phone lays upside down). But sometimes you want a sound so be played everytime and not only when the phone lays with its back on the table. Then you can press the speaker at the top and it will switch over to a unmuted speaker. When you now hit the tick the selected tone will never be muted by the tool.

You can now start over and replace every notification sound with a one selected via this tool. Just pick a tone and hit the tick at the bar and you are done.
I'm currently using gingerbread and was able to replace the tones in the following applications:
  • Stock SMS/MMS
  • gTalk
  • Google+
  • Facebook
  • Flip4Silence

How does this sensitivity slider work?
It allows you to set the exact degree when Flip4Silence should recognize the phone as "lays on its screen". The range is from 0 (lays exactly on its screen) to 90 degree (stands on its bottom).

You can change the value with the slider or with the plus and minus button to a value which should fit your need (it lacks a testing mode, sorry :/).

The green part of the slice on the left is a visualization of the "snap area" where Flip4Silence will recognize the phone should be silent. You can transfer it to the real world when you put your phone with its bottom on the table which would be 90 degree. When you now tilt it slowly down to it's screen it would be 0. So you have actually moved it on 90 degrees of a circle which is what the image tried to tell you.

The settings are now this way because people reported that LOW and HIGH weren't enough to trigger it the way they wanted it. The dialog still lacks a "choose from presets" option but this will hopefully be added in the future.

As a hint here are the settings known from F4S 1.0 (which will suit the most people)
  • High: 20 degree
  • Normal: 25 degree
  • Low: 30 degree

So you say it's now save to use it to pick global ringtones?
Yes, in general it is. The picker maintains now a blacklist for Activities which aren't able to handle the special ringtones we return. This blacklist currently only has the stock settings blacklisted so it should work for most devices. But HTC/Motorola/Samsung may have changed ROMs in a way that they also changed the identifier for the SystemSettings. In this cases the blacklist will not work until I have added them

So as it's more or less save, here is the warning again:
Please note the fact that you should never ever use a "silenced" ringtone for the ringer or the default notification sound. The new BETA tries to prevent you from doing so (the little speaker on the top is not drawn) but it may fail! If you see a speaker in your Default Notification/Ringtone picker than please hit the "Report usage" button in Flip4Silence ultimate so I can add it to the blacklist.

What does this "Report usage" button do again?
As stated above it will send a report to me about the places where you have used Flip4Silence Ultimate to select a ringtone. Please only send the manual report if you have found out that your System Settings is not blocked from setting a silenced ringtone (as described above). Please also leave a short note here that you have send a report. Reports contain the same data as crashreports, so nothing is really special about them.

"Silence when user is present" does what?
Did it ever annoyed you to hear notifications when you got your device in your hand? Did you ever thought "Damn, shut up! I have seen the notification, no need to play a sound...".

If yes, then I have a solution for you: "Silence when user is present" does simply what is says, it blocks the notification sound when you are currently fiddling with your device and don't need another acoustic notification about a new message or anything else.

Of course it only works with sound which were set with this app and currently the switch is on a global base (will likely change in an upcoming version).

Okay, sounds good so far, where can I get it?
I will attach the newest version and the previous one to this post whenever an update occures. You can also download it on the Android Market

Why is this nifty app not translated into [INSERT LANGUAGE HERE]?
I will contribute at least a German translation once the strings in the program have settled down (one or two releases before the first stable will be released). If your favorite language is missing and you are willing to translate it by yourself please contact me and I will hand the localization files when the app has reached the pre stable state.

The icons used are nice, but the application icon is damn ugly dude!
Yea, I know. I had to make some of my own when I developed Flip4Silence so the quality is far from good. While I like the overall theme (the phone and the sleep indication) it's not really pretty as I'm more the coding guy than a designer. If you are a designer or know someone who would like to make some icons for this app it would be awesome if you would contact me. I can't provide any money for this as it's only a fun project but it would be worth a credits entry and publicity (it depends, but I expect a broad usage around the globe, just like the original Flip4Silence :)).

Uh, who has done this cute icons you are using?
The icons used in the main view of the ringtone picker are from AndroidIcons.com. Thanks guys for this great set of free icons!

Attachments

• 1.0-BETA4-1.jpg
    1.0-BETA4-1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 458
  • 1.0-BETA4-2.jpg
    1.0-BETA4-2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 485
  • 1.0-BETA4-3.jpg
    1.0-BETA4-3.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 402
  • 1.0-BETA4-4.jpg
    1.0-BETA4-4.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 356
  • settingsprovider.patch
    6.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Luminger

Oct 13, 2010
Changelog
  • 1.0 BETA6
    • Fixed BETA4 bugs.
  • 1.0 BETA5 (skipped due to major bugfix fail)
  • 1.0 BETA4
    • Resolved all BETA3 problems
    • Feature: added 'Silence when user is present'
    • Added ICS SoundPreferences to caller blacklist
    • Minimal Android version bumped to Eclair as I updated ActionBarSherlock
  • 1.0 BETA3
    • Local music is now selectable.
    • Choose if you want to send your systemlog on crash
    • Bugfix: Crash on settings when empty skip value was given.
    • Blacklist for SystemSettings added (at least for stockroms)
  • 1.0 BETA2
    • Fixed critical bug (default settings weren't read causing infinite sensor poll...)
  • 1.0 BETA
    • Bugfixes (a bunch, should be more stable now)
    • Added sensitivity settings dialogue
    • Added ACRA for error reporting (you may opt out)
  • 1.0 ALPHA
    • Initial release

(maybe) Upcoming Features
  • List of default ringtones to set (for easier reselection of the same tones)
  • Some kind of indicator which ringtone was previously selected (in tune lists)
Known Bugs:
  • BETA4: The 'local media' selection breaks when you have more than 2 songs on your phone (stupid me, should have tested this...)
Resolved Bugs:
  • BETA4: Crashes in the 'sensitivity picker' due to a random/rare stackoverflow condition
  • BETA4: Crashes in the 'local music picker' due to a uninitialized object
  • BETA3: It's possible to assign a silenced ringtone to a blacklisted caller by changing the device configuration (change view to landscape)
  • BETA3: includes GTalk in the blacklist (added it for testing purposes, forgot to remove it...) so you can't set a silenced ringtone to it...
  • BETA3: Some database queries and lost cursors create warnings in the systemlog
  • BETA3: ticking "include systemlog in reports" is useless the app lacks the required privileges (will be removed)
  • BETA3: the sound settings activity used by Android 1.6 is missing in the blacklist
  • BETA3: it looks like that at least the Android 1.6 emulator has problems displaying the pick list columns correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: ahlulnugraha

Luminger

Oct 13, 2010
Do U think it is possible to also disable vibration on incomming calls? It was working on Gingerbread but not longer on ICS (at least for me:()

Flip4Silence classic doesn't work correctly on ICS? Didn't knew that, sure I will try to fix this in this rewrite (the old app will not receive any update, everything will be reimplemented).

I will give it a try when I move the old code to the new codebase but I can't promise anything as I don't know whats broken and so don't know how it may be fixed.

But thanks for the report =)

bioan

Jun 1, 2009
Glad you haven't abbandoned this project. I will test it soon on my NS.

Sent from my A710 using xda premium

Reactions: Luminger

Luminger

Oct 13, 2010
I just release BETA3. As nobody reads the main post again, please note the following:

You generally don't have to take special care about the System Settings default sound picker as it's now blacklisted as it not supports F4S Ultimate. Consult the main post for more info about this. But If the little speaker at the top is shown for you in the default settings please hit the "Report usage" button and send me some info about your phone (again, more info is hidden in the main post ;)).

If you had a previous version installed I'm very sorry to tell you that you have to REASSIGN every single ringtone you have selected with F4S Ultimate before again due to a internal incompatible change!

Also I would like to say "Thank you!" to everybody who is currently testing/using this! I have not thought that so many people would try it! Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Reactions: c00ller

slovoflud

Mar 3, 2008
I just release BETA3. As nobody reads the main post again, please note the following:

You generally don't have to take special care about the System Settings default sound picker as it's now blacklisted as it not supports F4S Ultimate. Consult the main post for more info about this. But If the little speaker at the top is shown for you in the default settings please hit the "Report usage" button and send me some info about your phone (again, more info is hidden in the main post ;)).

Also I would like to say "Thank you!" to everybody who is currently testing/using this! I have not thought that so many people would try it! Thank you very much!

If you want to keep a secret, post it in the OP!

Luminger

Oct 13, 2010
Why the BETA sign? What's not stable yet? And when do you plan to release a non-beta version?

It has the beta sign because it's rather untested and it's a very fragile kind of app as it operates at the border (or some steps beyond) of the android system.

I does things which were never intended by the developers, also I'm developing this thing alone. The beta sign will be removed when it's proven that it operates on virtually any phone from android 1.6 to 4.0 and includes all the features the original Flip4Silence has.

Currently everything is working as intended besides a bug I have just found (which is documented in the second post). A "stable" (I only release software which is at least usable for me) without the beta sign will come when I have done all the work. I can't tell you a date as this is not my job but I will do my best to release as often as I can.

Luminger

Oct 13, 2010
BETA4 is out now!

BETA4 is out now!

It introduces a new feature: "Silence when user is present", please take a look at the first and second post for the changes in detail.

Besides that I had to wipe the caller database once again as the format changed again, so you have to reassign anything again (should be the last time, the format should be stable now...).

A sidenote:
I have not received any crash so far and it seems to work pretty good so I consider it now "stable enough for everyday use".

danlivesey

Dec 5, 2010
blackburn
Thanks for this app, sounds good downloading now....

How Do I start the app?

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

Last edited:

Luminger

Oct 13, 2010
Thanks for this app, sounds good downloading now....

How Do I start the app?

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

It's a ringtonepicker replacement, to use the app you have to reassign the notification tones of the apps you want to be silenced on a flip. Your system will present you a list of apps which are suitable for ringtone picking, just select Flip4Silence there.

Reactions: danlivesey

Luminger

Oct 13, 2010
"Silence when user is present" - never get a notification sound again when you are playing with your device and don't need a audio notification.

Man I have been looking for this feature since day 1 of owning a Android Phone! I'll help you test the app!

Edit: I goto settings>Sound>Ringtone phone> choose flip4silence>Local Media

Crashes every time :(

Desire S
IceColdSandwich 7.0

Once again, lesson learned: never ever say "it's working good, quiet good" as it will brake then =)

It's a problem in (at least) the artist list, I will fix it soon. Stay tuned for an update and thanks for testing =)

Luminger

Oct 13, 2010
Crappy video I made showing how I made it crash: http://youtu.be/R_4v-AKSjM4 (done in about half an hour)

I also provided a logcat with warnings, errors and fatal exceptions. Don't worry about the rmt_storage lines though, that has something to do with the beta ROM I'm using.

Now that's cool, I have never seen a bug report video before :). It should be easy to fix this, but I have one question:

How many MP3s do you have on your device (I don't need an exact number, just a rough estimation, something like "60 albums" or something like that)?

Luminger

Oct 13, 2010
13 normal albums, 1 album of Super Smash Bros (which has about 200+ songs :p) and one "album" I made myself for my ringtones.

Thanks, so it will take some time to collect all the data from the MediaProvider. Seems like my implementation was just to naive, when I arrive at home I will have a look.

Luminger

Oct 13, 2010
The problem should now be solved but I want to be sure that it really is. It would be nice if someone could try the attached version. If the bug is fixed I will push it to Google Play and attach it in the main post.

Luminger

Oct 13, 2010
Still does not work. I tried it with IceColdSandwich (4.04), BlindLEWA (2.3.5) and Cyanogenmod 7.1.0 (2.3.7). Still crashes in the same way and after choosing a standard ringtone is does not lower volume or stay silent when the phone is active.

Hm, so I have to upload a big bunch of MP3s to my phone to see it crashing, interestting. I will have a look again soon.

Besides that I'm sorry that I have to tell you that it's (currently) not supported to use Flip4Silence Ultimate for the default Ringer/Notification sound :(. This is due to a "feature" in the android core, I think I have written something about it in the mainpost.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Flip4Silence 2.0 BETA
    Silence notifications when your phone is flipped - battery friendly!

Flip4Silence is back! It's just an BETA version but it already serves its purpose: Silence notifications when the phone lays upside down on the table! And the best thing about this, it doesn't eat up your battery (like other tools do)!

I just finished the BETA and I'm currently testing it. But as I think it could be useful to someone in this state I just made it public. Please be so kind and keep in mind that this is not the final and probably will not act as reliable as it should. I will do my best to fix any bugs which are found, so please report your problems back.

If you are a ROM chief or have a custom ROM installed:
    I have planned to migrate this tool to a "one for all" tone silencer. Unfortunately this requires a patch (which is attached to this post) to allow the user to set the tones as the system defaults. The patch is also posted on the AOSP gerrit and may be accepted (don't know if they like the patch) and I will try to integrate it into CM9.

If you are a ROM chief and would like to integrate the patch and the (upcoming) tool feel free to contact me via pm.

If you are a user of a custom ROM feel free to encourage your ROM chief to integrate the patch.

Feel free to contact me if you have integrated the patch somewhere, especially if it's a ROM for the Galaxy Nexus or Nexus One as I would like to use it on my own phones :D

Attention:

What it gives you:
    • Silence nearly every notification!
    • Is planned to be a full replacement for every ringtone picker (please tell me what you want from your ringtone picker)
    • It's nice to your battery as it's only active when something happens and not all the time.
    • More control over the sensitivity used (no more "low", "high", "normal", you are in charge now!).
    • MP3 ringtones are now supported! The UI is not really finished, it's at least planned to add the album covers to the list.
    • "Silence when user is present" - never get a notification sound again when you are playing with your device and don't need a audio notification.

What it can't do:
    • You can't use it to put silenced ringtones into the default settings. Please never ever put a silenced ringtone into your phone ringer or the default notification sound. It will just not work (and will never), trust me. However, you can put in a "unsilenced" ringtone (more later).
    • Currently the sensors will report strange results if you have vibration on while a ringtone is played. It lacks a good filtering, so it's not really usable currently.

How to use it?
    It has currently no settings dialog at all, it is just a alternative to pick a ringtone. When you select somewhere a "Choose a ringtone now" button it will be an option which you can launch.

When you select your tones with the tool it will more or less look like the standard ringtone picker with some exceptions. On the bottom you will see a list with all ringtones you may pick from. When you select them, they will be played as a preview to you (just like the stock ringtone picker does). When you have found your ringtone just hit the tick button at the top bar and you are done. It will now silence this (and only this) notification when the phone lays on its display. When you want to discard your selection just hit the cross on the top, the back button of your phone or the home button, it's your choice.

The really interesting thing is the speaker icon at the top bar. It works the following way:
    When you see the muted speaker (speaker with X) the ringtone will be silenced when you hit the tick button (sure, it will only be muted when the phone lays upside down). But sometimes you want a sound so be played everytime and not only when the phone lays with its back on the table. Then you can press the speaker at the top and it will switch over to a unmuted speaker. When you now hit the tick the selected tone will never be muted by the tool.

You can now start over and replace every notification sound with a one selected via this tool. Just pick a tone and hit the tick at the bar and you are done.
    I'm currently using gingerbread and was able to replace the tones in the following applications:
    • Stock SMS/MMS
    • gTalk
    • Google+
    • Facebook
    • Flip4Silence

How does this sensitivity slider work?
    It allows you to set the exact degree when Flip4Silence should recognize the phone as "lays on its screen". The range is from 0 (lays exactly on its screen) to 90 degree (stands on its bottom).

You can change the value with the slider or with the plus and minus button to a value which should fit your need (it lacks a testing mode, sorry :/).

The green part of the slice on the left is a visualization of the "snap area" where Flip4Silence will recognize the phone should be silent. You can transfer it to the real world when you put your phone with its bottom on the table which would be 90 degree. When you now tilt it slowly down to it's screen it would be 0. So you have actually moved it on 90 degrees of a circle which is what the image tried to tell you.

The settings are now this way because people reported that LOW and HIGH weren't enough to trigger it the way they wanted it. The dialog still lacks a "choose from presets" option but this will hopefully be added in the future.

As a hint here are the settings known from F4S 1.0 (which will suit the most people)
    • High: 20 degree
    • Normal: 25 degree
    • Low: 30 degree

So you say it's now save to use it to pick global ringtones?
    Yes, in general it is. The picker maintains now a blacklist for Activities which aren't able to handle the special ringtones we return. This blacklist currently only has the stock settings blacklisted so it should work for most devices. But HTC/Motorola/Samsung may have changed ROMs in a way that they also changed the identifier for the SystemSettings. In this cases the blacklist will not work until I have added them

So as it's more or less save, here is the warning again:
    Please note the fact that you should never ever use a "silenced" ringtone for the ringer or the default notification sound. The new BETA tries to prevent you from doing so (the little speaker on the top is not drawn) but it may fail! If you see a speaker in your Default Notification/Ringtone picker than please hit the "Report usage" button in Flip4Silence ultimate so I can add it to the blacklist.

What does this "Report usage" button do again?
    As stated above it will send a report to me about the places where you have used Flip4Silence Ultimate to select a ringtone. Please only send the manual report if you have found out that your System Settings is not blocked from setting a silenced ringtone (as described above). Please also leave a short note here that you have send a report. Reports contain the same data as crashreports, so nothing is really special about them.

"Silence when user is present" does what?
    Did it ever annoyed you to hear notifications when you got your device in your hand? Did you ever thought "Damn, shut up! I have seen the notification, no need to play a sound...".

If yes, then I have a solution for you: "Silence when user is present" does simply what is says, it blocks the notification sound when you are currently fiddling with your device and don't need another acoustic notification about a new message or anything else.

Of course it only works with sound which were set with this app and currently the switch is on a global base (will likely change in an upcoming version).

Okay, sounds good so far, where can I get it?
    I will attach the newest version and the previous one to this post whenever an update occures. You can also download it on the Android Market

Why is this nifty app not translated into [INSERT LANGUAGE HERE]?
    I will contribute at least a German translation once the strings in the program have settled down (one or two releases before the first stable will be released). If your favorite language is missing and you are willing to translate it by yourself please contact me and I will hand the localization files when the app has reached the pre stable state.

The icons used are nice, but the application icon is damn ugly dude!
    Yea, I know. I had to make some of my own when I developed Flip4Silence so the quality is far from good. While I like the overall theme (the phone and the sleep indication) it's not really pretty as I'm more the coding guy than a designer. If you are a designer or know someone who would like to make some icons for this app it would be awesome if you would contact me. I can't provide any money for this as it's only a fun project but it would be worth a credits entry and publicity (it depends, but I expect a broad usage around the globe, just like the original Flip4Silence :)).

Uh, who has done this cute icons you are using?
    The icons used in the main view of the ringtone picker are from AndroidIcons.com. Thanks guys for this great set of free icons!
    Changelog
    • 1.0 BETA6
      • Fixed BETA4 bugs.
    • 1.0 BETA5 (skipped due to major bugfix fail)
    • 1.0 BETA4
      • Resolved all BETA3 problems
      • Feature: added 'Silence when user is present'
      • Added ICS SoundPreferences to caller blacklist
      • Minimal Android version bumped to Eclair as I updated ActionBarSherlock
    • 1.0 BETA3
      • Local music is now selectable.
      • Choose if you want to send your systemlog on crash
      • Bugfix: Crash on settings when empty skip value was given.
      • Blacklist for SystemSettings added (at least for stockroms)
    • 1.0 BETA2
      • Fixed critical bug (default settings weren't read causing infinite sensor poll...)
    • 1.0 BETA
      • Bugfixes (a bunch, should be more stable now)
      • Added sensitivity settings dialogue
      • Added ACRA for error reporting (you may opt out)
    • 1.0 ALPHA
      • Initial release

(maybe) Upcoming Features
    • List of default ringtones to set (for easier reselection of the same tones)
    • Some kind of indicator which ringtone was previously selected (in tune lists)
    Known Bugs:
    • BETA4: The 'local media' selection breaks when you have more than 2 songs on your phone (stupid me, should have tested this...)
    Resolved Bugs:
    • BETA4: Crashes in the 'sensitivity picker' due to a random/rare stackoverflow condition
    • BETA4: Crashes in the 'local music picker' due to a uninitialized object
    • BETA3: It's possible to assign a silenced ringtone to a blacklisted caller by changing the device configuration (change view to landscape)
    • BETA3: includes GTalk in the blacklist (added it for testing purposes, forgot to remove it...) so you can't set a silenced ringtone to it...
    • BETA3: Some database queries and lost cursors create warnings in the systemlog
    • BETA3: ticking "include systemlog in reports" is useless the app lacks the required privileges (will be removed)
    • BETA3: the sound settings activity used by Android 1.6 is missing in the blacklist
    • BETA3: it looks like that at least the Android 1.6 emulator has problems displaying the pick list columns correctly.
    Do U think it is possible to also disable vibration on incomming calls? It was working on Gingerbread but not longer on ICS (at least for me:()
    OMG!:eek:
    Just installed older version from market. I know why it wasn't working..."Keep vibrating" was still enabled.
    Sorry...my fault.:rolleyes:
    No problem at all, so I can note down that F4S Classic also works on ICS? Good... =)
    Yepp...definitely working on ICS.