Bad signal on VZW GNex

Search This thread

mastibeta

Jun 14, 2010
Tampa Fl
Anyone else notice a much worse signal on the GNex than other VZW phones in the same location. I swapped from a GSM Gnex and i gotta say, im not impressed.

tsk138

Sep 20, 2010
I am. Compared to the Rezound I had for a couple weeks the dBm is -100 to -140 where the Rezound was -80.

Last night it kept dropping to 3G and would not get 4G back unless I rebooted.
Speedtest was about half what it normally was with the Rezound on 4G

This morning the -dBm is over -100 but the speedtest is about to where it was normally so I don't know.
I travel for work so I'm going to give it week and see how to behaves as I move around.

I really like this phone but I need it to be a phone first and if it drops calls or the 4G is this bad it's going to be a deal breaker.

I just did another speed test at -108 dBm and it's over 20MB down. I was getting 4MB down last night and the signal was all ranging all over the place while I was staying in the same spot.

xderekaustinx

Jan 22, 2010
Dallas, TX
I have to imagine the VZW network was getting pounded pretty hard last night with new adopters and phones being activated. I'd say give it a few days and check back into it

Reactions: truth0r

Smokeey

Oct 8, 2010
College Station, TX
a6fa4679-51fa-1b55.jpg

Bad signal but still getting good speeds....
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

igl007

Mar 7, 2009
I am experiencing this also coming from a Thunderbolt. Granted the Thunderbolt had flashed radio/Kernal/Rom's. Would that even matter? In this case will an updated radio provide a stronger signal or just increased reliability from being dropped? Maybe both? Idk. Anyone?

majorhunadadun

Jun 15, 2010
Orlando
Glad I'm not the only one! The Rezound had way better connectivity and reception! Samsung sux in this dept. Ima give it a few days. Off topic here but where's the smart dialing?? I can't believe it didnt make it to ics!! Heh.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

psufan5

Dec 11, 2009
I honestly think the phone is just reading your signal wrong. TBolt had this issue also and a modem fixed it somewhat.

bobbych

May 16, 2010
San Francisco
I have same signal i used to have on my rezound, i still get almost same speeds around 28 up and 18-20 down here in Minneapolis. rezound used to get 32 down and around 20 up, but i am thinking since verizon network was pounded yesterday so there will be some impact on speeds

Reactions: ImprezaRose

dspcap

Sep 1, 2010
Whatever new phone that comes out, you can always count on a bad signal thread. :)

I haven't noticed a difference in signal, but I do think it has better sound quality than my Droid Incredible.

Edit: I just did a speed test (3g) and it was very choppy and not great. I live across the street from a cell tower, so that is not good.

Last edited:

shizat63

Aug 28, 2010
The Moto RAZR I returned yesterday to get this Samsung had much better reception.

I should have remembered that the Koreans can't engineer a good antenna. I'm very unhappy right now.

mastibeta

Jun 14, 2010
Tampa Fl
Maybe your coverage area? I am in Tampa...in a building, in my office, i get 5-6 megs down and 2-3 up...with my LTE GNex, i cant even hold a 4g signal, and when i do its 5 megs each way. Nothing earth shattering....but on top of it, that drops to 3g and stays there. The GSM, always had a connection.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That is what tech support told me when I was on the phone complaining about loosing 4 bars of 4g going from my razr to the GN. I had download speeds of 28mbs/sec now I have around 4mbs/sec if I have any 4g at all. I asked to have the phone reprovisioned on the towers but they didnt do it because the radio is now a "Know Issue" with VZW tech support. Again I was told a fix is in the works expect it mid Jan.

Yes, you keep believing that from a VZ rep, Mid- Jan magically is the date that any purchases over the holiday period lose their return window ...

Gee, I hope I'm wron... er, nope, I'm not.
    For whatever it's worth, here's what I heard back from a tech at Verizon who seems to be pretty knowledgable based on past experience:

As far as the Nexus, it's really been too short of a time for me to get an accurate gauge on what the situation is, but here's what I know so far.

---The signal indicator is incorrectly displaying signal strength. Google is saying that it displays signal differently than the normal stock of VZW phones, but either way, a software fix is being developed. Tentative release date Mar 2012.

---The 3G reception is faulty. There is a recognized issue where the device displays that 3G is available, but the device is unable to commit to data sessions. Temporary workaround is to reboot the phone (not necessary to pull the battery, just powering down and back up again should do the trick). I would not advise to put the plane into airplane mode and back on again because the Nexus also has been documented to take up to 60 seconds to regain signal after coming out of airplane mode. Software fix for the 3G problem has a tentative release date of January 2012 and the airplane mode problem is tentative March 2012.
    I have to imagine the VZW network was getting pounded pretty hard last night with new adopters and phones being activated. I'd say give it a few days and check back into it
    I have same signal i used to have on my rezound, i still get almost same speeds around 28 up and 18-20 down here in Minneapolis. rezound used to get 32 down and around 20 up, but i am thinking since verizon network was pounded yesterday so there will be some impact on speeds
    How did you pull up a measure of the signal strength in db on an iphone? I'm having the same gNex weak cellular signal problems and wanted to try an actual reception comparison to my wife's iphone like you did..

Go to the phone keypad and type *3001#12345#* then press call/send