Completely secure phone

Search This thread

Unrelashade

Sep 7, 2009
Hi,

the Replicant team made me aware of something.
Replicant is an Android fork ROM that emphasizes on security and privacy (e.g. they removed all Google services from Android).
This is their article I'm talking about:
http://replicant.us/2013/11/fairphone/

I think all the software is free now (correct me if it isn't). Links in benkxda's thread.
But what about the modem being embedded in the SoC? I guess that's the case?
That would mean the Fairphone is not completely secure.

So let's make ourselves heard that we would be happy to see the next device without a modem embedded on the SoC.

What the Fairphone has achieved in regard to openness and fairness so far is considerable and great! I'd like that to continue, so that's why I bring this up.

sidingFP

Jan 29, 2014
some security possible?

Hi Unrelashade,

thank you for bringing this topic up. I think complete security is not possible - even the encrypted blackberry of cancellor Merkel was hacked.

But "some" security should be possible - and I think the main problem is me: The things I do wrong, the rights I give to apps and the way I do backup and data storage. So I kindly would like to aks you guys for some advice - How can I save my private data and also my companies data from data selling companies or a theft?

So I try a combination of:
* active sync of my data (e-mails, contacts, ...) with my own server (egroupware) - no sync with google or other free services
* encryption of phone storage with good password
* possibility to wipe my phone remotely in the case I loose it (not testet yet)
* Xposed & Xprivacy to limit data distribution by some apps

Now I have the feeling, that Xprivacy could kill the remote wipe - that would be very bad.
Furthermore, I am not familiar with the settings in egroupware - I did not find the remote wipe function yet or other active sync security features.
And I am missing a good backup methode - save and practical. Finally there may be a lot of things I do not know yet but I should take care of.

Could you help me to improve security in a reasonable way? Could you point me to a how-to with android and the egroupware ?

Reactions: simsalonaut

Unrelashade

Sep 7, 2009
Hi Unrelashade,

thank you for bringing this topic up. I think complete security is not possible - even the encrypted blackberry of cancellor Merkel was hacked
You're right, secure is not the right word. What I mean is that most phones might be used as a remote spying device. There is a way to build them so that this is not possible and that's worth working towards as a goal, imo.

On security with Android in general there are probably a lot of good threads/ websites, e.g. see the posts of the xda portal (news) tagged with "say sayonara" (to google services):
http://www.xda-developers.com/tag/say-sayonara/
To me it sounds like the only step you need to take to protect your data is to uninstall/ not install Google Services. They're deeply embedded into Android but there are people who work for a Google free Android system, see my link from the OP to replicant or e.g. this thread by Marvin
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1715375
I'm not sure if the fairphone system that is downloadable is completely free of Google Services, you may want to check that.

The only thing left then is that the Fairphone is still a smartphone with the modem embedded on the SoC. That still makes it possible to be used as a remote spying device (see my OP) if I understand it correctly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

the Replicant team made me aware of something.
    Replicant is an Android fork ROM that emphasizes on security and privacy (e.g. they removed all Google services from Android).
    This is their article I'm talking about:
    http://replicant.us/2013/11/fairphone/

I think all the software is free now (correct me if it isn't). Links in benkxda's thread.
    But what about the modem being embedded in the SoC? I guess that's the case?

So let's make ourselves heard that we would be happy to see the next device without a modem embedded on the SoC.

What the Fairphone has achieved in regard to openness and fairness so far is considerable and great! I'd like that to continue, so that's why I bring this up.
    Hi Unrelashade,

thank you for bringing this topic up. I think complete security is not possible - even the encrypted blackberry of cancellor Merkel was hacked
    You're right, secure is not the right word. What I mean is that most phones might be used as a remote spying device. There is a way to build them so that this is not possible and that's worth working towards as a goal, imo.

On security with Android in general there are probably a lot of good threads/ websites, e.g. see the posts of the xda portal (news) tagged with "say sayonara" (to google services):
    http://www.xda-developers.com/tag/say-sayonara/
    To me it sounds like the only step you need to take to protect your data is to uninstall/ not install Google Services. They're deeply embedded into Android but there are people who work for a Google free Android system, see my link from the OP to replicant or e.g. this thread by Marvin
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1715375
    I'm not sure if the fairphone system that is downloadable is completely free of Google Services, you may want to check that.

The only thing left then is that the Fairphone is still a smartphone with the modem embedded on the SoC. That still makes it possible to be used as a remote spying device (see my OP) if I understand it correctly.
    some security possible?

Hi Unrelashade,

thank you for bringing this topic up. I think complete security is not possible - even the encrypted blackberry of cancellor Merkel was hacked.

But "some" security should be possible - and I think the main problem is me: The things I do wrong, the rights I give to apps and the way I do backup and data storage. So I kindly would like to aks you guys for some advice - How can I save my private data and also my companies data from data selling companies or a theft?

So I try a combination of:
    * active sync of my data (e-mails, contacts, ...) with my own server (egroupware) - no sync with google or other free services
    * encryption of phone storage with good password
    * possibility to wipe my phone remotely in the case I loose it (not testet yet)
    * Xposed & Xprivacy to limit data distribution by some apps

Now I have the feeling, that Xprivacy could kill the remote wipe - that would be very bad.
    Furthermore, I am not familiar with the settings in egroupware - I did not find the remote wipe function yet or other active sync security features.
    And I am missing a good backup methode - save and practical. Finally there may be a lot of things I do not know yet but I should take care of.

Could you help me to improve security in a reasonable way? Could you point me to a how-to with android and the egroupware ?