[Q] Charging on AC but shows USB

Search This thread

faddyie

Nov 27, 2011
Initially my phone started to charge slow since a week with the original charger and cable came with N4 in the box. I googled and got to check in the battery settings as if it shows AC or USB. Its showing USB and charging quite slow. I flashed yesterday factory image after deleting everything but still it shows as USB.
One more thing, when i connect the charger it shows AC and after a few seconds it says USB and sticks to it.
After connecting the charger it acts as the charger is powered on and off 3-4 times whereas i dont turn the power off/on.

Any help.

faddyie

Nov 27, 2011
Initially my phone started to charge slow since a week with the original charger and cable came with N4 in the box. I googled and got to check in the battery settings as if it shows AC or USB. Its showing USB and charging quite slow. I flashed yesterday factory image after deleting everything but still it shows as USB.
One more thing, when i connect the charger it shows AC and after a few seconds it says USB and sticks to it.
After connecting the charger it acts as the charger is powered on and off 3-4 times whereas i dont turn the power off/on.

Any help.

Anyone...?

Reactions: mohdizwan

faddyie

Nov 27, 2011
It seems to be a hardware issue. but the weird things is it initially recognizes as AC but then after few seconds change to USB.
Further, after pinning the cable, phone reacts as the power is on-off-on-off 3-4 times.

Please help.

klvnhng

Dec 1, 2012
Toronto
It might be a defective cable. I had the same thing happen to me (oem cable and charger), but changing the cable solved it for me. Pretty poor build quality if you ask me

Sent by carrier pigeon

jlk2501

Aug 2, 2011
Sydney
i was using the original USB cable that came with the phone and experienced the same issues. after changing the USB cable it is fixed for me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

ttheodorou

Apr 7, 2010
i can confirm that it is the cable. just go buy a new one but have in mind that you need a quality cable. the reason is that the usb 2 standard outputs about 1 amp, so most cable is designed with that in mind. the nexus 4 charger output is 1.2 amp so if the charger cannot output 1.2 amp it outputs lower amp thus the connection with the charger is recognized as usb. if you go and buy a quality cable then you will have no problems. i just use the cable of my old phone (optimus black ) and it works like a charm. another cable that i have make the usb thingy.

the lg cable of nexus 4 and all the new lg's is ****. it break down very easily. a friend of mine bought an lg g pad 8.3 and the cable died the 4 time that he used it!!!

P.S. when i say quality cable i don't mean a 30 euroes or dollars cable. i mean a cable by a known brand and not an ebay 1 euro cable. that didn't worked for me. if i knew a brand of cable that worked i would but i use an old lg cable

hope i helped

Reactions: TJ_Ahluwalia

22sl22

May 21, 2012
London
i can confirm that it is the cable. just go buy a new one but have in mind that you need a quality cable. the reason is that the usb 2 standard outputs about 1 amp, so most cable is designed with that in mind. the nexus 4 charger output is 1.2 amp so if the charger cannot output 1.2 amp it outputs lower amp thus the connection with the charger is recognized as usb. if you go and buy a quality cable then you will have no problems. i just use the cable of my old phone (optimus black ) and it works like a charm. another cable that i have make the usb thingy.

the lg cable of nexus 4 and all the new lg's is ****. it break down very easily. a friend of mine bought an lg g pad 8.3 and the cable died the 4 time that he used it!!!

P.S. when i say quality cable i don't mean a 30 euroes or dollars cable. i mean a cable by a known brand and not an ebay 1 euro cable. that didn't worked for me. if i knew a brand of cable that worked i would but i use an old lg cable

hope i helped

This happens to me as well but I don't think it is the cable. When mine started charging slowly & on USB with the official one I bought one that was made by Amazon which was fine for a while but then it changed to USB charging

SeanInToronto

Dec 18, 2012
If you have a custom kernel that supports forcing AC charging, give that a try. I think the latest Hells Core/Doctor kernels offer that feature. Unless this feature is on, my phone thinks my car charger is a USB charger. It might be, I'm not sure, but I know that the kernel has a feature to override this recognition and extract the full average from the adapter (in my case, 1A).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Any help.

Anyone...?

hope i helped