[Q] CM11 Problem.. Help Needed

Search This thread
Mar 17, 2014
Hi all,

I am interested in the CM11 ROM. Last night I spent 6hrs trying and failed, epically.

Here is what I did already:
1. Downgraded from 4.4.2 back to factory
2. Successfully rooted
3. Installed ROM Manager
4. Successfully downloaded CM11 and latest GApps

Then when I tried to boot into recovery it kept going to a screen with a little android guy lying on his back with a red triangle!!! I tried six times.

I got frustrated and just updated back to 4.4.2 and have been dealing with it. I am still rooted and have been able to remove my bloatware and other things you need root access for.

Any thoughts or help as to how I can install the CM11 rom?? I am happy running NovaLauncher and using DynamicNotifications to approximate it but really want to try out CM11.

Cheers and thanks!

Mar 17, 2014
Did you actually try flashing a recovery first? Just installing ROM manager won't install the custom recovery needed to flash ROMs. You have to do that step as well.

No, I didn't. I am super new with android. Had an iphone for a long time. How do I flash a recover? Can I still do it now on 4.4.2 b/c its rooted?

Sorry about the noob questions, everyone is being very helpful!

JRJ442

Jan 18, 2011
Salisbury, Md
Google Pixel 6a
No, I didn't. I am super new with android. Had an iphone for a long time. How do I flash a recover? Can I still do it now on 4.4.2 b/c its rooted?

LG blocked the Loki exploit with 4.4.2 so you can't flash recoveries currently. You'd have to flash back to 4.2.2 to do that. Which if you want custom ROMs now its going to have to be done sooner or later. Which carrier and model number do you have? If you have an international D802 the above post by @zekurosu will work for you, otherwise don't use that one. You're gonna have to find the method for your model number.

Last edited:
Reactions: android_nashville

mackster248

Aug 1, 2009
Palmdale, CA
My first guess was that you missed the flashing the custom recovery step, which people above me have already helped ya out on. For being new to Android you did fairly well, you just missed that one step.

Good luck!

Reactions: android_nashville

zekurosu

Dec 2, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
LG blocked the Loki exploit with 4.4.2 so you can't flash recoveries currently. You'd have to flash back to 4.2.2 to do that. Which if you want custom ROMs now its going to have to be done sooner or later. Which carrier and model number do you have? If you have an international D802 the above post by @zekurosu will work for you, otherwise don't use that one. You're gonna have to find the method for your model number.

thanks, forgot to mention it was only for D802 :good:

Mar 17, 2014
thanks, forgot to mention it was only for D802 :good:

I have an ATT D800 running 4.4.2. I can't decide whether its worth it to flash back to 4.2.2 to try again. Pretty happy with NovaLauncher + widgetlocke and fairly closely approximates what I am looking for.

For what its worth, I was in 4.2.2 when I tried the first time and failed. I think mackster is right, I didn't flash the custom recovery. I basically flashed back to 4.2.2->rooted->tried to boot into recovery (OVER and OVER) then gave up and upgraded back to 4.4.2.

Thanks for all the help. At least I now have a rooted phone and have been able to do some cool stuff with that. My goal is to get nexus 5 software in an LG G2 body (battery, camera, etc)

JRJ442

Jan 18, 2011
Salisbury, Md
Google Pixel 6a
@android_nashville There's a way to have the best of both worlds. You can flash back to 4.2.2 (10d preferably) root, flash a custom recovery with Flashify or FreeGee. Both available on the play store. Then actually update to 4.4.2 following this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2483043. Eventually, if you want to flash custom ROMs you're going to have flash back to 4.2.2 and do this process regardless. The 4.4 aboot image (bootloader) can't be bypassed with Loki. Its been blocked. But some brilliant devs basically found out they can make a hybrid setup, with the 4.2.2 aboot, and everything else 4.4.2. This way you can have the ability to flash custom recovery, kernels and ROMs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lucky there is no way to root on 4.4.2 yet or atleast no Recovery's yet it could be worse you're atleast rooted and it didn't brick your phone

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Did you actually try flashing a recovery first? Just installing ROM manager won't install the custom recovery needed to flash ROMs. You have to do that step as well.

My first guess was that you missed the flashing the custom recovery step, which people above me have already helped ya out on. For being new to Android you did fairly well, you just missed that one step.

Good luck!