[Help] Stupid Question Thread, GNote Edition

Search This thread

frozeninferno

Jan 4, 2012
Maisach, Bayern, DE
Here's my dumb question :
Do I need to be rooted first to be able to flash ROMS.?
I ask this because I am on stock ICS CLF6.
I have already flashed CWM with Odin. And have made my nandroid backup.
Now.... Can I just start trying a ROM?
Or do I have to root... SU have to be installed and if so... Which SU?
Thanks a lot for reading.
All replies and comments are welcomed and encouraged.
Thanks again...

As long as you are rooted and have a recovery manager that isn't stock you are fine, when you first root all you did is root your stock software which makes the phone open. ROMs are built with SU in them, or you can stay stock and just download an SU. Hope this helped.

B

btswein

First off, I'm a newb who only recently flashed CM to my old Captivate.

Trying to install CM10.1 here on my Note. I am following the official instructions on their website, but pushing the recovery via ODIN instead since I don't understand Heimdall and command line stuff.

Anyways, I'm on a stock, unrooted 4.0.4 AT&T Note, CM's official directions says I don't need to be rooted and it's not advised. When I push the recovery, ODIN just sits (see picture) forever. Can anyone help?

Also, I had to delete .md5 from the file name, it was named "recovery-cwm-quincyatt.tar.md5" and ODIN didn't understand that. I have tried ODIN 3.07 and 1.85.
help.png

Last edited:

Froid

Apr 5, 2012
somewhere
Also, I had to delete .md5 from the file name, it was named "recovery-cwm-quincyatt.tar.md5" and ODIN didn't understand that. I have tried ODIN 3.07 and 1.85.
help.png

From the looks of it, you're doing everything right. Have you tried to redownload the tar? Maybe a bad download...just a thought...I would also uncheck reset time. Just keep reboot checked only. If you're still having problems after a fresh download, then grab Braways version in development

B

btswein

From the looks of it, you're doing everything right. Have you tried to redownload the tar? Maybe a bad download...just a thought...I would also uncheck reset time. Just keep reboot checked only. If you're still having problems after a fresh download, then grab Braways version in development

Did a fresh download, same result. Sits at 99.9% Link to Braways version? This works with CM10.1?

EDIT: Is this the "Braways version" you're referring to? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1584576 Confirmed to work with CM10?

Also, The "command line stuff" can just be copied and pasted...

Couldn't get it to play nice with Win8. Ran in "compatibility mode" with the same result.

Last edited:

Froid

Apr 5, 2012
somewhere
That is it but I can't confirm it works with cm10(most likely won't). You have a couple options without rooting. Grab the latest Odin tar from team wins site and use twrp or flash Braways version and download the latest flashable zip of either cwm or twrp and update your recovery. If you want to keep trying with what you have, maybe use a different cable or usb port and see if that makes a difference. Good luck

Edit: Also try running Odin as admin if you haven't already

Last edited:

captemo

Jan 13, 2012
Kentucky
finally rooted

finally rooted.

however, when i plug in usb to phone, i now get "hardware i.d. missing" ???

i have superuser icon on phone

any ideas?
is more information needed?
if so what?

got the i.d. number thing figured out, re install drivers.

Note IS however different than Infuse.

am i supposed to drag and drop files? and do the go to usb storage???

attempted to copy jellybam over (d&d) said unable to copy

i know its something stupid, but thats why i am here

Last edited:
B

btswein

That is it but I can't confirm it works with cm10(most likely won't). You have a couple options without rooting. Grab the latest Odin tar from team wins site and use twrp or flash Braways version and download the latest flashable zip of either cwm or twrp and update your recovery. If you want to keep trying with what you have, maybe use a different cable or usb port and see if that makes a difference. Good luck

Edit: Also try running Odin as admin if you haven't already

So, just so I'm reading this correctly, I could use ODIN to push TWRP, then from there use TWRP to install the CyanogenMod zip file? CM is CWM (at least it was on my Cappy) based so the CM built-in CWM would overwrite TWRP anyways upon installation, correct?

Thank you for all your help thus far!

Brian

Froid

Apr 5, 2012
somewhere
You can flash cm or anything else for that matter with twrp just the same as cwm. Flashing cm will not override or replace twrp with cwm. I prefer twrp and would recommend it.

B

btswein

You can flash cm or anything else for that matter with twrp just the same as cwm. Flashing cm will not override or replace twrp with cwm. I prefer twrp and would recommend it.

Thanks! One last question, (okay, two.) Is it beneficial to copy the stock ROM backup to a computer, I will be doing a factory reset post-backup, but pre-CM flash would the backup be gone when I factory reset?

Froid

Apr 5, 2012
somewhere
No. The backup will be on either internal or external storage(you're choice). As long as you don't format the internal or external storage, everything will still be there. That being said it really cant hurt to copy the backup to your pc before flashing and is probably a good idea. As a matter of fact most users keep a copy of their storage either on pc or cloud....just in case

noobiedumb

Feb 24, 2013
my first dumb question.

just rooted my att gnote with cwr. i did a kies backup first then titanium backup after. I want to flash black star X but I don't want to loose my app settings or personal files eg. pics vids etc. my son would be upset if he has to restart angry birds from beginning.

Bubba

Dec 31, 2011
Hell ( I've taken over. Come on down.)
just rooted my att gnote with cwr. i did a kies backup first then titanium backup after. I want to flash black star X but I don't want to loose my app settings or personal files eg. pics vids etc. my son would be upset if he has to restart angry birds from beginning.

First go into recovery (CWM or TWRP) and make a nandroid back up of your stock rooted rom.
Make sure to wipedavilk, cache, data, and system. Flash your rom (gapps of needed).Restore all your apps. Once restored (from the play store is best) then use titanium backup. Restore data to angry birds.
Your pics and vids should be fine on your sd card as long as you do not wipe the external (assuming that's the one they are on) card.
If you use a launcher like Nova ... Even your desk top can be backed up and restored.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

noobiedumb

Feb 24, 2013
First go into recovery (CWM or TWRP) and make a nandroid back up of your stock rooted rom.
Make sure to wipedavilk, cache, data, and system. Flash your rom (gapps of needed).Restore all your apps. Once restored (from the play store is best) then use titanium backup. Restore data to angry birds.
Your pics and vids should be fine on your sd card as long as you do not wipe the external (assuming that's the one they are on) card.
If you use a launcher like Nova ... Even your desk top can be backed up and restored.

my TBU is located on phone memory /mnt/sdcard/titaniumbackup will factory wipe destroy it? do I need to move to ex sdcard first?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First: Google is your best friend. Please use Google first. This thread is being created for new and old users alike. It's only purpose is a safe place to ask those questions you feel may be too stupid to ask anywhere else.

Second: No question is too stupid. Any question asked here shall be deemed a good question because you were smart enough to ask it.

Third: This is not an original idea. All thanks and credit goes to lumin30 for coming up with this idea. http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1494423 and to ShadyAce80 who brought the idea here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1849043

Fourth: I am not claiming to be able to answer any questions.. Might even ask some .. Just wanted to have a place for those Note
    questions that users might have.

**This Community has a Super thread which could provide answers to a lot of your questions, the Super thread is open to everyone as a resource page:

[Road & Ref Map]: Galaxy Note Super Everything Thread (I717)

So here we go...open for business. Lets try and be helpful. Any flaming will be reported. All of XDA rules still apply. Flaming and the belittling of other users will not be tolerated and dealt with by the moderation team.

Ask away .. answer if you can .. above all .. have fun and play nice.
    ;)
    never do anything to your phone when you are drunk..
    And if your friend is not much into modding the phone himself ... I'd suggest an ics ROM .. As we all know they are just more stable right now. You might find yourself being his personal tech support.

Since you state you are an ultra noob, the best thing you can do right now is to edgumacate yourself. The best way to do that, is to go here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=28040353

Do some reading so you have an idea in your head what you are doing.

Read about rooting and flashing.

Once you look it over and familiarize yourself with the process .. Come back with any questions. At this point do you even know if you are rooted ... And what that means?

A few apps will pull the background image from the framework-res.apk in the drawable-nodpi folder(settings, tibu, etc.). Contacts background is pulled from its own nodpi folder. Touchwiz is a different animal, but similar in how it pulls the bg image. You'll find that most apps have their own bg image. And please....correct me if I'm wrong as well. :)