Cannot root Nabi2 by ANY method

Search This thread

jelabarre59

Nov 19, 2013
Pawling
Moto E5
I have a Nabi2 that I am trying to root (it has the latest 2.3 ROM, Android 4.1.1), and of all the tutorials I have found (Linux or MSWin), none of them work. The one that has gotten part way through is http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2016463, but once I get to the "adb reboot recovery" command, nothing ever happens, and I have to power-cycle the tablet, and I am right back to absolutely NOTHING having been changed.

I tried the MSWin installs (such as NabiLab), but it seems that ADB is incompatible with VirtualBox, or at least can't manage to KEEP a connection active to the device (even though I set the Nabi as a permanent USB device in the Win7 or Win8.1 VM images).

I would *prefer* to post a message to the appropriate discussions/threads, but apparently XDA won't allow that.

I bought this for my daughter's birthday, and within a month it was already unusable becayse the anemic internal space filled up. So this tablet sits unused, and she ends up using my wife's modded Nook Tablet (CM10.2). My daughter had been using *my* NT (CM11) until it quit working.
I really think it's time to make a road trip to Fuhu's HQ, and shove this p.o.s. sideways up an uncomfortable place on the company CEO :mad: Especially after being out of work for 6 months, and I can't be throwing money away on substandard and unusable products.

jelabarre59

Nov 19, 2013
Pawling
Moto E5
I've been continuing my attempts to root this thing, and I have an idea; as *all* of the root tips/tutorials are from 2013 and earlier, I think this tablet may be more equivalent to a "Disney and/or Nickelodeon" model. Once I bought it in January 2014 (setting it up for my daughter's birthday in early February) it installed the massive 2-part OTA upgrade that added Gapps and JB (Android 4.1.1). From what I've read, that seems to require a thorough reorganization of the partitions on the Nabi2, so perhaps all those old methods have to be tossed out (or at least marked as for older, non-updated units) and a new set of directions made for the updated units (version "2.3-release-keys"). Either that or determine if the Disney directions are the same for the updated units.

I did see on NabTabHacks ( h t t p : / / nabtabhacks . com /wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Nabipart1.png ) the difference in partitioning between the original Nabi2 and the Disney model; if someone could instruct me on how to gather that information on our unit (without having to have rooted the unit, obviously, since root isn't working) I'd see if we are dealing with a Disney-fied configuration.