[Q] USB tethering with Nexus S 4G

Search This thread

bondseven

Sep 1, 2011
Dear all,

I just got the Nexus S 4G phone from Sprint, and already updated it to 2.3.5 due to the weak signal issue. I noticed that USB tethering is not working since the beginning (2.3.4). I went through Setting, Wireless & network setting, Tethering and portable hotspot, and USB tethering, then enble it. The computer showed that it was connected with the phone, just no internet connection. Could anyone help? Thanks a lot

Last edited:

bondseven

Sep 1, 2011
Bigtoysrock,

Thank you very much for your help. I still have two questions.
1) is it the 2.3.5 problem only, or USB tethering is never working with Andriod? I am new to Android, and I didn't get the USB tethering working with 2.3.4 either.
2) I know if I root it, I will get the mobile hot spot working with 3G only. Will the root also give me the USB tethering?
Thanks a lot,

bigtoysrock

Jul 28, 2010
Leander,TX
As far as I know 2.3.4 worked and not sure on the second question as I don't use the native app for tethering. I do know however that pdanet works for usb tethering. When you root it comes with the one click root package to give you the correct drivers. I would try it for you but I am not on the stock rom.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA App

Reactions: bondseven

bondseven

Sep 1, 2011
Thank you, Bigtoysrock and Jackslim. I will root it with Peter's method. I will report whether it works with USB tethering. People reported that they have wireless tethering working. However, nobody talks about USB tething, :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The 2.3.5 update blocked free tethering.

As far as I know 2.3.4 worked and not sure on the second question as I don't use the native app for tethering. I do know however that pdanet works for usb tethering. When you root it comes with the one click root package to give you the correct drivers. I would try it for you but I am not on the stock rom.

If you unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery Peter Alfonso created a flashable zip the fixes native tethering in 2.3.5
    I tested it with the wireless native app not the wired but should work for both
    http://www.peteralfonso.com/2011/08/download-tethering-fix-for-nexus-s-4g.html
    I remember there's a way to usb tether your phone without the need of rooting using proxydroid
    I did this when my EVO was replaced with a new one that was unrootable at the time
    You can find proxydroid in the market for a free app and use their wiki for details on getting your computer setup
    http://code.google.com/p/proxoid/wiki/installationPhone