HTC Misctool [Tool to read/write main version]

Search This thread

drellisdee

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 22, 2008
East Coast
This tool will allow reading and directly writing the main version in Htc's misc partition to allow flashing if your main version is higher than the hboot/fastboot zip you are trying to flash or for the purpose of software downgrading on most HTC devices.

Pre-reqs:

Device must be an emmc based HTC & you must have root.
This should work on all emmc based HTC devices G2 to current such as rezound. This tool has been tested on Incredible 2 and on Rezound.

Useage is :

misctool <option> <value to write>

r: read main version from misc partition. No <value to write> needed
w: write new value to main version in misc partition & read back new value

ex. misctool w 1.00.000.0

Setting a value of 1.00.000.0 will allow all hboot zips to pass version checking.

If you are testing to see if it works on another htc run "misctool r" and if the version read back is correct the write will work also.

This can be used in userspace & recovery.

Example of use in updater-script:
run_program("/tmp/misctool", "w", "1.00.000.0");

I will eventually have this included into my RA Revamped recovery lineup as time permits.

If you find this useful consider donating to my development device fund (I'm hoping one day to join the Rezound club) as I was considering releasing this in a paid for apk but changed my mind and decided to GPL source it.

Static pre-compiled binary & gpl source is attached.

Attachments

• misctool.zip
    306.6 KB · Views: 6,070
Last edited:

con247

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
Flash this in recovery and your main version gets set to a generic 1.00.000.0

This will allow any PH98IMG.zip or the newest RUU to run on your phone. I recommend flashing this before you flash a ROM that autoboots to install a PH98IMG.zip or before loading a PH98IMG.zip manually.

How to use: Just flash it in recovery as if it were a rom. Main Version Older issue will be solved.

Attachments

• SetMainVersionLOW.zip
    436.9 KB · Views: 20,090
Last edited:

pwned3

Jul 23, 2011
Cullman
This is a super tool I've been using fast boot to keep from running into problems with main version. May still but this is an unfortunately necessary tool. If we had s-off this wouldn't be a issue. But thanks again for this

sent from ics land

con247

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
it can be dropped in rom scripts to fix the main version. This can be used to avoid future mainversion problems.

ih8mydroid

No. I can make a flashable zip. Hold tight.

edit: attached. Flash this in recovery and your main version gets set to a generic 1.00.000.0

How much to sticky this? I forsee many other updates/leaks* etc that will end up causing mainver issues. Stick this at top. Sadly I wont get to see Con go off anymore in threads about fixing mainver :(

Anyway, Big THANKS to drellisdee and con247!

Last edited:

caveritt

Mar 4, 2008
Um... Not sure what I did but I just flashed this and restored a GB backup with the GB kernel and now the phone won't recognize my SIM. I have no service. Could this be related or not.

caveritt

Mar 4, 2008
Did you put your battery cover back on?

I had it on but still nothing. Just took out the sim and cleaned it and all is good now. Sorry about that. The sim might have slipped out or something earlier when I was fighting with it trying to get out my sd card.

Love the tool. Finally I don't have to go in and manually change the android-info.txt file on every kernel.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Flash this in recovery and your main version gets set to a generic 1.00.000.0

This will allow any PH98IMG.zip or the newest RUU to run on your phone. I recommend flashing this before you flash a ROM that autoboots to install a PH98IMG.zip or before loading a PH98IMG.zip manually.

How to use: Just flash it in recovery as if it were a rom. Main Version Older issue will be solved.
    This tool will allow reading and directly writing the main version in Htc's misc partition to allow flashing if your main version is higher than the hboot/fastboot zip you are trying to flash or for the purpose of software downgrading on most HTC devices.

Pre-reqs:

Device must be an emmc based HTC & you must have root.
    This should work on all emmc based HTC devices G2 to current such as rezound. This tool has been tested on Incredible 2 and on Rezound.

Useage is :

misctool <option> <value to write>

r: read main version from misc partition. No <value to write> needed
    w: write new value to main version in misc partition & read back new value

ex. misctool w 1.00.000.0

Setting a value of 1.00.000.0 will allow all hboot zips to pass version checking.

If you are testing to see if it works on another htc run "misctool r" and if the version read back is correct the write will work also.

This can be used in userspace & recovery.

Example of use in updater-script:
    run_program("/tmp/misctool", "w", "1.00.000.0");

I will eventually have this included into my RA Revamped recovery lineup as time permits.

If you find this useful consider donating to my development device fund (I'm hoping one day to join the Rezound club) as I was considering releasing this in a paid for apk but changed my mind and decided to GPL source it.

Static pre-compiled binary & gpl source is attached.
    I can't flash amonra after installing the leak because of main ver... coming from stock replacement phone and I just flashed ICS RUU and unlocked hoping it was as simple as flashing Amon Ra and SU. I just screwed myself didn't I?

Flash amonra via fastboot. Or change the PH98IMG.zip android-info.txt to reflect your current main version which you can obtain via fastboot.
    You still won't be able to downgrade. Your can't downgrade radios and hboot.

i dont mean by themselves, wouldn't it work by running the stock gb ruu?
    Will this tool allow the ability to downgrade the hboot of an Evo 3D?

If you want to downgrade your hboot from 1.50 on Evo 3D go here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1547695

Please don't forget to hit Thanks :)