[GUIDE][HOW TO]Get 50 Gigabytes of Free Dropbox on ANY ROM (even stock!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ajthearmo

Sep 2, 2012
Check your dropbox account on ur computer if your having any issues

you may have to do little things (make any folder share-able) to get it

DieselNY

Sep 1, 2012
Hmm I followed the instructions exactly like it was outlined but I did not see my space increast. I already have 10.25gb from doing testing out the beta way back when and uploading from my camera, that gave me another 5gb but do not think that has anything to do with it.

It has been 10 minutes now and still nothing and I even went to the web site, made a folder sharable just fiddling around to see if it changed anything but no luck. Any ideas?

dswann

Feb 1, 2011
Check your dropbox account on ur computer if your having any issues

you may have to do little things (make any folder share-able) to get it

Didn't have to anything extra, logged in into drop box app and withing 10 mins I had received an email notifying me that my storage had been upgraded

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

DieselNY

Sep 1, 2012
Also in addition to this not working I never saw it say anything about "android updating" nor did I get an email from dropbox. I am on Syngery 1.7 Rom so not sure if that matters?

chiaroscuro7

Sep 15, 2010
ok guys.. the "android is updating" part I blv usually happens when u wipe dalvik (always) or install apps using cwm (sometimes)..

Anyways I used this trick - installed the zip using cwm on my vzw G-Nex (my S3 is not rooted yet, happy to play around with the gnex ;))

and within 2 minutes of logging in on my phone - I got the 48 gb extra (55.2 now :D) ... let's see how long it will stay...anyway thanks to the OP, lets hope it sticks .. cheers

DieselNY

Sep 1, 2012
Do you guys also see a notice to update dropbox after you flash this? Do you sign in to the one installed first and then update the app or vice versa?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

gatewayad

Mar 16, 2010
Do you guys also see a notice to update dropbox after you flash this? Do you sign in to the one installed first and then update the app or vice versa?

It should automatically install after it does sign in then go to the email account you signed in with and follow the instructions in the email

DieselNY

Sep 1, 2012
Hmm I can't get it to work. I tried 3 times and even flashed to my backup rom and started fresh but still no luck.

galchristian

Jul 16, 2010
Miami Beach
netnucleus.com
So simple. THANKS so much! Steps: 1 force close DB, 2 clear data, 3 uninstall, 4 Reboot into Recovery make a backup unless you have one, 5 flash it, 6 reboot and let it do it's thing. 7 Let DB update from play-store, 8 sign in.........and...VOILA now I have 57.25GB yayyyy :laugh: :good: :fingers-crossed:
Thank you very much once again.

KennyCap

Jun 8, 2011
Broketown MA
Worked for a few days till they took it away...just did the same thing with Box from play store LG is offering a promo 50 gigs hope they don't catch on as quick as drop box....Change build prop ro.model LG-P999 ro manufacture LGE. I take no credit go to Android themes and apps

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    dropbox-logo.png

Hello Fellow Galaxians.

I am posting this as a quick tutorial. I answered this same question in another thread but since it got a bunch of traction I thought I would put it in this forum instead.

I am not taking credit for the file. I cannot really tell you who created the file. I am telling you how to use it and that it works fine.

PROBLEM - SPECIAL LUCKY HTC OWNERS GET AN EXTRA 48 GIGABYTES OF DROP BOX WHEN THEY USE THEIR PHONES.

HTC made themselves a marketing deal last year. You might have noticed it, but HTC users who load up their phones are welcome to launch a preinstalled Dropbox app that gives them an additional 48 gigs of dropbox storage. This is 2 gigs normal + 48 gigs extra = 50 gigs total.

No other manufacturer has this marketing deal.

SOLUTION - FLASH A FILE AND TRICK DROPBOX INTO THINKING THAT YOU ARE USING AN HTC HANDSET. GET 48 GIGS MORE STORAGE!

Q. - So how does this work?
    --Simple, you are flashing a special version of the software that makes dropbox think you are using an HTC phone.

Q. - Is it safe?
    --As safe as any other flash you do to your phone. Do a backup. Do one. Have you done one? Better do one now!

Q. - Is it forever?
    --Once the dropbox server sees you are using this version of the software, you get the extra space for two years from the time of install

Q. - If I reflash does it stick?
    --Yes, dropbox doesnt know if you are using a different phone in the future or the same phone without the special HTC signature saying you are okay for the extra space.

**EDIT: I have read some users lose their space, but cannot confirm it. I dont know... If you were to reflash or move to another rom, you should be able to reflash the package. BACKING UP. BACK UP. DID I SAY THAT ENOUGH??

Q. - Will this work on (my phone model # inserted here?)
    --Yes, it should work on any model or phone. I make no guarantees, i have only done this on my rooted, stock rom VZW s3 but in theory yes. it should work. THAT IS WHY YOU BACKUP RIGHT??

-=BACKUP NOW. DONT DO IT, DONT COMPLAIN IF BAD THINGS HAPPEN=-​

SIMPLE STEPS TO FOLLOW:

1. Force stop your current drop box app
    2. Clear all data
    3. Remove the app
    4. Download the zip file from this link

5. Be sure to put it on the root of your sd card or internal storage
    6. Boot into recovery
    7. Flash the zip from step 4
    8. Reboot your device.
    9. Android will show updating, let it do its thing
    10. Sign in to the new drop box app
    11. After a few minutes get 48 gigs free for 2 years.

PROFIT.

**NOTE:
    If you are new to dropbox, there are a few things you need to do in order to get this working. They are basic like liking them on facebook, tweeting them... Nothing hard, and it will take you only a few minutes.

**CLICK THANKS IF THIS IS HELPFUL TO YOU**
    Confirmed this worked. Dropbox on my desktop just announce that I have 50.8GB now.
    Just worked for me