Android Firewall (Droidwall successor)

Search This thread

LaserChicken

Apr 27, 2010
Good news, Droidwall development has been picked up by a new dev. It's now called Android Firewall, and yes it works on 4.0 and higher--something Droidwall did not support.

It's open source and worth checking out.
uploadfromtaptalk1354609157739.jpg

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jtschohl.androidfirewall

Sent from my DROID X2 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

hydeah

Nov 19, 2011
New York
Good news, Droidwall development has been picked up by a new dev. It's now called Android Firewall, and yes it works on 4.0 and higher--something Droidwall did not support.

It's open source and worth checking out.
View attachment 1535338

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jtschohl.androidfirewall

Sent from my DROID X2 using xda app-developers app

Will this app allow you to block certain apps from accessing phone data, etc.. when they have nothing to do with phone data or network?
Is there a solution for earlier android versions?

LaserChicken

Apr 27, 2010
Will this app allow you to block certain apps from accessing phone data, etc.. when they have nothing to do with phone data or network?
Is there a solution for earlier android versions?

No, this is just a firewall/iptables. For further protection, like blocking certain apps from getting specific permissions, there are apps like pdroid, LBE, etc.

Sent from my MB870 using xda app-developers app

hydeah

Nov 19, 2011
New York
No, this is just a firewall/iptables. For further protection, like blocking certain apps from getting specific permissions, there are apps like pdroid, LBE, etc.

Sent from my MB870 using xda app-developers app

Thanks, I have been looking for one like that but I kept getting firewalls. I noticed firewall is simply blocking/allowing wifi/3g-4g data access. I iwll check those apps you mentioned, there is no reason why angry birds should have access to phone data.. I wonder if any one of those apps actually replace the phone data so the app/game itself does not FC when it cannot access the data it needs (my caller ID data.. :eek: )

bad bone

Oct 24, 2012
Rom toolbox has an auto start function that tells you how many receivers an app has at startup and lets you disable them not sure if that's what your looking for or not

don't be scared it's only a phone :)
ogd x d2g x2 sg3
old ladies :( ^

khaeid

May 9, 2007
Berlin
www.hazem-mastering.com
Hi, I use normal home wifi, and mobile wifi with DATA PLAN when I'm out, is there a way to setup different access restriction for each one???

That is different settings for: DATA / WIFI xxx / WIFI yyy, or just treats certain WIFI Hotspots as Mobile Data like in some new JellyBean Data restriction

Nov 7, 2012
Thanks, I have been looking for one like that but I kept getting firewalls. I noticed firewall is simply blocking/allowing wifi/3g-4g data access. I iwll check those apps you mentioned, there is no reason why angry birds should have access to phone data.. I wonder if any one of those apps actually replace the phone data so the app/game itself does not FC when it cannot access the data it needs (my caller ID data.. :eek: )

LBE Privacy Guard is great. I think it's exactly what you're looking for

hydeah

Nov 19, 2011
New York
Isn't this now a stock feature of 4.4, ability to block apps from accessing certain phone information and functions?
I believe it was introduced in 4.3.

Sent from my LG-D800

LaserChicken

Apr 27, 2010
I would suggest using xprivacy and the xposed framework. They weren't available when I made this thread, they work great. Make sure you use the 2.3 port of xposed.

LaserChicken

Apr 27, 2010
Isn't this now a stock feature of 4.4, ability to block apps from accessing certain phone information and functions?
I believe it was introduced in 4.3.

Sent from my LG-D800

I don't believe the stock feature allows for as much control as xprivacy does. And if I understand, the stock 4.4 feature won't block system apps.

hydeah

Nov 19, 2011
New York
I don't believe the stock feature allows for as much control as xprivacy does. And if I understand, the stock 4.4 feature won't block system apps.

Xposed is getting a lot of attention, are they on the track to be the next CM of Android community? Possibly.

I am curious, does it actually stop these apps from trying to get data or just deny access but they keep trying. And if they keep trying when they don't get what they want, will that have any impact on battery life?

Sent from my LG-D800

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
Is Android Firewall still supported? I don't see it on Google Play anymore, and even though I have it enabled it has stopped working on my KitKat phone.

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
Is Android Firewall still supported? I don't see it on Google Play anymore, and even though I have it enabled it has stopped working on my KitKat phone.
Yea I was just looking for it today and it's gone. What's the next best thing?
It seems to be working but it doesn't block ads any more..

First I had DroidWall and that was abandoned, now I have Android Firewall and that is abandoned. I think I'll look for a firewall that has been around for a long time, it has less chance of turning into abandonware.

EEngineer

Oct 20, 2011
USA
T-Mobile LG G5
Seriously you guys are not aware of AFWall+ ?
Seriously, have you not read this thread?

First, there was DroidWall, which was unceremoniously discontinued and not fit for use for any Android OS past Gingerbread.
Next, the same developer launched Android Firewall. Not only did the developer also discontinue this firewall and drop it from Google Play without notice, but it appears Android Firewall now lets ads through! Note that this does not happen if you block Android Firewall in Android Firewall, so it might be that the developer deliberately modified the firewall to let ads through - someone with more knowledge would have to verify this.

Now, the same developer has released AFWall+. I'm sorry but I can't trust a firewall from a developer that has a history of abandoning their apps, especially a security app.

In each case, the developer went dark.

So now many are looking for a firewall that has been supported for a long time, and we are willing to pay for it. I don't think we are being unreasonable here, I appreciate the work that developers have done for the community but would be respectful of users if the app was discontinued with some notice and explanation, rather than leaving users vulnerable.

Last edited:

ukanth

Recognized Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Nexus 7 (2013)
OnePlus X
Seriously, have you not read this thread?

First, there was DroidWall, which was unceremoniously discontinued and not fit for use for any Android OS past Gingerbread.
Next, the same developer launched Android Firewall. Not only did the developer also discontinue this firewall and drop it from Google Play without notice, but it appears Android Firewall now lets ads through! Note that this does not happen if you block Android Firewall in Android Firewall, so it might be that the developer deliberately modified the firewall to let ads through - someone with more knowledge would have to verify this.

Now, the same developer has released AFWall+. I'm sorry but I can't trust a firewall from a developer that has a history of abandoning their apps, especially a security app.

In each case, the developer went dark.

So now many are looking for a firewall that has been supported for a long time, and we are willing to pay for it. I don't think we are being unreasonable here, I appreciate the work that developers have done for the community but would be respectful of users if the app was discontinued with some notice and explanation, rather than leaving users vulnerable.
Same developer ? get you stats right. DroidWall was developed by Rodrigo and sold it to Avast
There were two forks of Droidwall after that.
1. AFWall+ by me
2. Android Firewall by "Jason Tschohl"

AFWall+ is still active and currently in BETA to support Lollipop. You can see that in http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1957231

Top Liked Posts