[Q] Need Help with amaze s-off and flashing roms

Search This thread

huzefaonline

Dec 21, 2012
Karachi
Moto Z Play
Hi, i have gone through most of the threads i believe and it is becoming very difficult for me to get through doing s-off for htc amaze. have unlocked it, installed recovery(4EXT) and perm root the device using hasoon's toolkit but for s-off his toolkit is not available and the joupunbear method is too difficult for me. though i have installed ubuntu but its taken a long time in loading and never comes to a screen like window. does it even have a screen like windows? if someone here can guide me on what to do after i have installed ubuntu then i'll be really gratefull. and also i wanted to ask that since the amaze is on gingerbread 2.3.4 i will have to s-ff the device to flash the ics ruu. if i cant install the ics ruu then i cant install any other rom, right? is there anyway i can install custom roms with s-on? even if i can what about the ics ruu that is a must for installing custom roms?
Desperately need help :crying::(

Odysseus1962

Sep 30, 2013
Ripley, TN
Hi, i have gone through most of the threads i believe and it is becoming very difficult for me to get through doing s-off for htc amaze. have unlocked it, installed recovery(4EXT) and perm root the device using hasoon's toolkit but for s-off his toolkit is not available and the joupunbear method is too difficult for me. though i have installed ubuntu but its taken a long time in loading and never comes to a screen like window. does it even have a screen like windows? if someone here can guide me on what to do after i have installed ubuntu then i'll be really gratefull. and also i wanted to ask that since the amaze is on gingerbread 2.3.4 i will have to s-ff the device to flash the ics ruu. if i cant install the ics ruu then i cant install any other rom, right? is there anyway i can install custom roms with s-on? even if i can what about the ics ruu that is a must for installing custom roms?

OK, a multi-part question, so a multi-part answer. First, you didn't have to install Ubuntu you could have just run it from a disc and ran joupunbear that way. Now I'm no expert in attaining s-off, for as you can see I'm s-on myself, but from what I understand it's a matter of timing and persistence. Some users have posted that it took them a dozen or more attempts before they were able to get the timing right. So in this aspect it's a matter of trying until you succeed. Now as to Ubuntu, there I can help you, because I've been running Linux as my primary OS for over 15 years.

When you first install it you get what is known as a shell with no GUI or a minimum X interface unless you selected one during the install. The default UI for the version of Ubuntu recommended by joupunbear is Gnome. However as a Windows user you would probably feel a lot more comfortable in the KDE desktop environment, which looks and behaves a lot like Windows XP. My suggestion would be to look into Kubuntu. It is an officially supported fork of Ubuntu that uses KDE by default. Because of this it sets up KDE right from the installation so you can boot into it and have a friendly familiar looking GUI right from the get go. Try it and I'll think you'll be a lot more at home with it.

Now as to the other parts of your questions. Yes you can run other ROMs with s-on, but you'll be limited to Gingerbread based ones. Unfortunately, that would mean digging through old threads and finding one, plus being limited to only old stock based sense ROMs. There never was a usable functional CM or other aftermarket GB ROM for the Amaze.

You need the ICS radio baseband to run ICS and newer ROMs, and the only way to get it is to flash ICS firmware, and the catch-22 is you need s-off to flash ICS on devices that didn't have official manufacturer ICS ROMs as is the case with all of the Asian and unbranded Amaze. Which brings us back to square one.

Instead of installing Ubuntu or Kubuntu another option is to download the recommended version image and run it directly off of the disc. But if you'd like to do any Android development it's probably a good idea to install it and learn at least the basics, since nearly any Android dev work requires a functioning Linux environment.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

OK, a multi-part question, so a multi-part answer. First, you didn't have to install Ubuntu you could have just run it from a disc and ran joupunbear that way. Now I'm no expert in attaining s-off, for as you can see I'm s-on myself, but from what I understand it's a matter of timing and persistence. Some users have posted that it took them a dozen or more attempts before they were able to get the timing right. So in this aspect it's a matter of trying until you succeed. Now as to Ubuntu, there I can help you, because I've been running Linux as my primary OS for over 15 years.

When you first install it you get what is known as a shell with no GUI or a minimum X interface unless you selected one during the install. The default UI for the version of Ubuntu recommended by joupunbear is Gnome. However as a Windows user you would probably feel a lot more comfortable in the KDE desktop environment, which looks and behaves a lot like Windows XP. My suggestion would be to look into Kubuntu. It is an officially supported fork of Ubuntu that uses KDE by default. Because of this it sets up KDE right from the installation so you can boot into it and have a friendly familiar looking GUI right from the get go. Try it and I'll think you'll be a lot more at home with it.

Now as to the other parts of your questions. Yes you can run other ROMs with s-on, but you'll be limited to Gingerbread based ones. Unfortunately, that would mean digging through old threads and finding one, plus being limited to only old stock based sense ROMs. There never was a usable functional CM or other aftermarket GB ROM for the Amaze.

You need the ICS radio baseband to run ICS and newer ROMs, and the only way to get it is to flash ICS firmware, and the catch-22 is you need s-off to flash ICS on devices that didn't have official manufacturer ICS ROMs as is the case with all of the Asian and unbranded Amaze. Which brings us back to square one.

Instead of installing Ubuntu or Kubuntu another option is to download the recommended version image and run it directly off of the disc. But if you'd like to do any Android development it's probably a good idea to install it and learn at least the basics, since nearly any Android dev work requires a functioning Linux environment.

I hope this helps.
    Nice synopsis--that ought to sticky.

OK, a multi-part question, so a multi-part answer..., I hope this helps.

Nice synopsis--that ought to sticky.