[Q] Fastboot and Touchscreen Help!!!

Search This thread

Mr Gingernezz

Jun 9, 2014
Trumansburg
Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum. There are threads similar to this, but none that match my issues exactly, so get off me! :p

Anyway, I've had the Atrix HD for about a year now. About a month ago, it was lagging really badly (ended up being my own fault) so i smacked it and shattered the digitizer. I fixed it myself, obviously voiding the warranty. I did everything right, except the pre-bent cable on the new digitizer didn't quite sit right, so it may be folded in there now that it's all back together. All I know is, it has been working fine.

The other day, however, it started registering taps that weren't there, along with just plain ignoring my touch commands. It does this about 85% of the time now, so you can understand why I'm a little flustered. I'm thinking that it could be the digitizer, but I doubt it because it seems to be a software issue.

During my troubleshooting session, I came across another problem. I can't install the latest software update. Tried a soft data reset, nothing. When I went to try a hard data reset, I was unable to navigate through the fastboot menu, and it said "Device is LOCKED. Status code: 0" and below it said "connect usb data cable". I assume this is because I have the device rooted, but when I tried to flash the stock firmware back onto it, I ran into the issue of having to select a fastboot mode, which, as I said, I am unable to do. It's a real thorn in the side too, since it's already on the mode that I need. I simply can't select it.

I would really prefer not to take it to AT&T if I can avoid it, all attempts at helping will be greatly appreciated.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
That screen is the fastboot screen.

What ROM was on your phone? If it was JB and you're trying to flash an ICS ROM, it will not work without an unlocked bootloader.

Since you have not warranty on your phone, I suggest you use Myth Tools to unlock the bootloader first. Then use Myth Tools to flash a stock ATT ROM.

Reactions: Mr Gingernezz

Mr Gingernezz

Jun 9, 2014
Trumansburg

What ROM was on your phone? If it was JB and you're trying to flash an ICS ROM, it will not work without an unlocked bootloader.

Since you have not warranty on your phone, I suggest you use Myth Tools to unlock the bootloader first. Then use Myth Tools to flash a stock ATT ROM.

I appreciate the advice as far as Myth Tools, but what are you talking about when you say "that screen is the fastboot screen"? I didn't ask about the fastboot screen, in fact, I mentioned it specifically several times. I know what the fastboot screen is. The problem is I cannot use it. I can get to the screen (everyone keeps saying you have to press both volume button plus the power button, but you actually only use the volume down button and the power button) but that is it. I cannot use the volume buttons to navigate, nor can I select the mode that is on the screen by default when you go to the fastboot screen. Btw, I'm not sure if it's Jelly Bean or not, but it's 4.1.1.

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Okay, so you can get into fastboot, right? The fastboot screen is what you need to flash a ROM. You don't need access to the buttons to flash a ROM on the fastboot screen from what I recall. I used fast boot commands.

If you do not have an unlocked bootloader, I don't think you can downgrade the ROM.

Is this the screen you see or something like it: https://motorola-global-eng.custhelp.com/rnt/rnw/img/enduser/spdrmain22.png ?

Last edited:

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum. There are threads similar to this, but none that match my issues exactly, so get off me! :p

Anyway, I've had the Atrix HD for about a year now. About a month ago, it was lagging really badly (ended up being my own fault) so i smacked it and shattered the digitizer. I fixed it myself, obviously voiding the warranty. I did everything right, except the pre-bent cable on the new digitizer didn't quite sit right, so it may be folded in there now that it's all back together. All I know is, it has been working fine.

The other day, however, it started registering taps that weren't there, along with just plain ignoring my touch commands. It does this about 85% of the time now, so you can understand why I'm a little flustered. I'm thinking that it could be the digitizer, but I doubt it because it seems to be a software issue.

During my troubleshooting session, I came across another problem. I can't install the latest software update. Tried a soft data reset, nothing. When I went to try a hard data reset, I was unable to navigate through the fastboot menu, and it said "Device is LOCKED. Status code: 0" and below it said "connect usb data cable". I assume this is because I have the device rooted, but when I tried to flash the stock firmware back onto it, I ran into the issue of having to select a fastboot mode, which, as I said, I am unable to do. It's a real thorn in the side too, since it's already on the mode that I need. I simply can't select it.

I would really prefer not to take it to AT&T if I can avoid it, all attempts at helping will be greatly appreciated.

You need to flash a the stock AT&T 4.1.1 fastboot with RSD. Open up the fastboot's xml file and remove all the lines with oem in it. Search around for "modified fastboot xml"...I've come across no less than 20 in the past few months alone. I'd be more helpful, but I'm calling it a night.

If you bought a cheap digitizer, that could be the problem. Phantom touches and being unable to access the top 10% of the screen were the biggest complaints I saw with cheapos.

Mr Gingernezz

Jun 9, 2014
Trumansburg
You need to flash a the stock AT&T 4.1.1 fastboot with RSD. Open up the fastboot's xml file and remove all the lines with oem in it. Search around for "modified fastboot xml"...I've come across no less than 20 in the past few months alone. I'd be more helpful, but I'm calling it a night.

If you bought a cheap digitizer, that could be the problem. Phantom touches and being unable to access the top 10% of the screen were the biggest complaints I saw with cheapos.

Maaaaaan. If it's the digitizer, I'm gonna be pissed. Fixing it was a pain in the ass. Plus I've done all this screwing around with my firmware for nothing, if that's the case. I'll try what you suggested and get back to you. I appreciate the help.

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Maaaaaan. If it's the digitizer, I'm gonna be pissed. Fixing it was a pain in the ass. Plus I've done all this screwing around with my firmware for nothing, if that's the case. I'll try what you suggested and get back to you. I appreciate the help.

It's only 22 pain in the ass tiny screws, blow drying off some glue, the feeling like you're gonna snap the motherboard removing the adhesive and lcd screen....why wouldn't you want to do that again?

I'm thinking that when you tweaked your ribbon cable you might have messed something up. Those cables are real sensitive to odd bends.

With my old AHD, my headphone jack quit working. I flashed multiple roms, stock firmwares, and nothing helped. Eventually I found the app SoundAbout and I was able to at least use my phone with headphones. My problem was the sensor that detects the jack being plugged in was out, and sadly, my replacement AHD has a buggy headphone jack sensor...only works half the time, so I still use SoundAbout :(

Mr Gingernezz

Jun 9, 2014
Trumansburg
It's only 22 pain in the ass tiny screws, blow drying off some glue, the feeling like you're gonna snap the motherboard removing the adhesive and lcd screen....why wouldn't you want to do that again?

I'm thinking that when you tweaked your ribbon cable you might have messed something up. Those cables are real sensitive to odd bends.

With my old AHD, my headphone jack quit working. I flashed multiple roms, stock firmwares, and nothing helped. Eventually I found the app SoundAbout and I was able to at least use my phone with headphones. My problem was the sensor that detects the jack being plugged in was out, and sadly, my replacement AHD has a buggy headphone jack sensor...only works half the time, so I still use SoundAbout :(

Lol! I think it'd be easier now, though. Still not crazy about doing that nonsense again.

So, ya know how the ribbon cable is shaped to come down the center of the lcd back, and then turn over to the port? Well, when I went to plug it in, it was about half a centimeter above the port. I kinda just made it work, and it bent weird at the elbow.

..............................l l l l l
..............................l l l l l <---Cable
............................./ / / / /
____________ _ _ / / / / /
_ -- _--_-_-_---_--_-_/ / / / <------Where it went weird on me
---l _--_--_--_--_-_--/ / /
l
l <--- Port
---l

Pardon the poor representation :p

Last edited:

Mr Gingernezz

Jun 9, 2014
Trumansburg
Hey, I apologize for the poor response time. I have been letting a friend use my laptop, so my internet access is limited.

As I don't have my own laptop at the moment, I can't make any software modifications. I have instead been using this time to try to notice patterns in the phone's faults. I have noticed that, when in the upright position, the area of the screen where the letter "d" is on my keyboard is a trouble area. The d button works 1 out of 10 times. I opened one of those simple touch tester apps (just shows visual feedback of the touches) and realized that it wasn't registering touches in that same area. I'm now almost certain that it is the digitizer. Think I should just get one comin in the mail A.S.A.P.?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.