Koodo Note 2 compatibility?

Search This thread

Dragostini

Mar 30, 2013
A place.
Hi everyone. So I Just got a note 2 the other day after having been using a nexus 4 for the past six months. I never use stock Roms and haven't since I got my s3 a year or so ago (I seemingly change phones often...). That being said I was looking into how to root this device and which Roms were compatible etc.

It seems all Canadian note 2 devices are the same? Rogers, Bell, koodo/telus etc? Am I correct in assuming this, and if so that any of the Roms found in this forums sub forums for aosp as well as other Roms like PA etc are compatible? (if it's compatible with the att note 2 my koodo note 2 is good to go?)

Also, it seems this devices forums are outdated and dying sadly, so can anyone recommend a recently active Rom, be it aosp or not, that is highly themeable and configurable, and preferably has good s-pen support?

Much appreciated!

Oh, and a link to the correct post for rooting this device and flashing new recovery (twrp or cwm) in its latest compatible version would be awesome too.

Thanks everyone!

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6
There are two Canadian Note 2 models: the I317M (yours) and the T889V (mine).

So long as you don't try flashing a non I317M modem on your device, you can pretty much flash any t0lte/t0lteatt/t0ltetmo a.k.a N7105, I317(M) or T889(V) ROM out there. Along the same lines, do not flash anything meant for the N7100.

For a nice belt and suspenders approach: make backups of your EFS partitions with all known methods: EFS Professional text format, QPST qcn, "Synergy ROM" method recovery script. (I adapted the latter for the T889V and it should work as is for your device.)

Assuming your device already has the stock 4.3 ROM, you will burn the KNOX fuse by flashing anything custom or generally trying to root.

(There may be more steps involved for KNOX, you're on your own for that part: the only thing stock 4.3 I've flashed is the modem.)
To root, get the latest t0lte Odin-flashable TWRP image, apply SuperSU or superuser zip from there as desired.

There's still a fair amount of activity out here, I've been running Omni nightlies for a while now.

It's normal for things to slow down: Bugs get squashed, ROMs on a manual release schedule slow down because they've implemented what they wanted, automatically built ROMs get smaller incremental updates from upstream. There's been an uptick with the stock TouchWiz 4.4 releases in the pipeline (the N7105 Nordic Countries CSC has been pushed, others are incoming) and kernel sources also trigger some action. Another factor for slow down is that early adopter devices are going on two-years and people upgrade.

I hardly use the S-Pen so I can't help you that much with it. There's a couple open source apps that support it and that can be added to your choice of AOSP ROM to enable things like gestures or hand-drawn notes.

Last edited:

sumer1

Dec 29, 2010
Toronto

So long as you don't try flashing a non I317M modem on your device, you can pretty much flash any t0lte/t0lteatt/t0ltetmo a.k.a N7105, I317(M) or T889(V) ROM out there. Along the same lines, do not flash anything meant for the N7100.

For a nice belt and suspenders approach: make backups of your EFS partitions with all known methods: EFS Professional text format, QPST qcn, "Synergy ROM" method recovery script. (I adapted the latter for the T889V and it should work as is for your device.)

Assuming your device already has the stock 4.3 ROM, you will burn the KNOX fuse by flashing anything custom or generally trying to root.

(There may be more steps involved for KNOX, you're on your own for that part: the only thing stock 4.3 I've flashed is the modem.)
To root, get the latest t0lte Odin-flashable TWRP image, apply SuperSU or superuser zip from there as desired.

There's still a fair amount of activity out here, I've been running Omni nightlies for a while now.

It's normal for things to slow down: Bugs get squashed, ROMs on a manual release schedule slow down because they've implemented what they wanted, automatically built ROMs get smaller incremental updates from upstream. There's been an uptick with the stock TouchWiz 4.4 releases in the pipeline (the N7105 Nordic Countries CSC has been pushed, others are incoming) and kernel sources also trigger some action. Another factor for slow down is that early adopter devices are going on two-years and people upgrade.

I hardly use the S-Pen so I can't help you that much with it. There's a couple open source apps that support it and that can be added to your choice of AOSP ROM to enable things like gestures or hand-drawn notes.

Great Question and great response.

I recently got the Koodo note 2. I finally switched coming from my well aged HTC HD2. Anyway I have a quick question. If i'm using a TW or a AOSP rom I can't connect to my Mac adhoc network. The old roms I used on My HTC had something baked into them that allowed that. Note sure if there's a special file I have to change. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

CatalystWon

Aug 20, 2010
Vancouver

Thank you Darkshado for all your helpful posts!

1) I'm also considering one if these from Koodo, currently advertised to contain the dreaded 4.3 update. May I restate what your saying is t0lte for N7105, t0lteatt for I317M, and t0ltetmo for t0ltetmo. When I looked previously on the TWRP site I saw the 't' choices but no clear cross reference to device model number.

2) I've read for many many hours about the downgrade path to 4.1.1 to unlock and how this would blow the KNOX fuse. Considering I'd be buying the device new from Koodo, I'm not happy about the prospect of losing an entire 12 month warranty-assuming a broken KNOX.

DelphinusMinor

1) I'm also considering one if these from Koodo, currently advertised to contain the dreaded 4.3 update. May I restate what your saying is t0lte for N7105, t0lteatt for I317M, and t0ltetmo for t0ltetmo. When I looked previously on the TWRP site I saw the 't' choices but no clear cross reference to device model number.

2) I've read for many many hours about the downgrade path to 4.1.1 to unlock and how this would blow the KNOX fuse. Considering I'd be buying the device new from Koodo, I'm not happy about the prospect of losing an entire 12 month warranty-assuming a broken KNOX.

This is a Note 3 rom for our Note 2's. I have the same phone as you are asking about. That rom will work for the I317M/I317 variants also.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2504016

Comes with most of the N3 features including Air Command(very handy), and you can use the S5 GUI and some of the S5 apps also.

It's been very stable for me so far. I love it and it's my current daily driver.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: CatalystWon

Darkshado

Apr 16, 2011
Montréal
Nvidia Shield Tablet
Nexus 6

1) Nope, t0lte is just as fine for the I317M. (If anything I'm even surprised the TWRP team still builds three separate recoveries. I'd have to look at the code for any meaningful differences, but I'm short on time to do that. Maybe ask on IRC?)

2) It's unfortunate, but then again there are other options, you could get a code from Koodo or elsewhere online; if you're adamant about keeping KNOX untouched. My understanding is that in Europe, the onus is on companies to prove that the user's root and ROM related activities caused problems with a given device. I'm thinking that the same would hold in many Canadian provinces if someone put up a fight in small claims court.

Reactions: CatalystWon

CatalystWon

Aug 20, 2010
Vancouver
This is a Note 3 rom for our Note 2's. I have the same phone as you are asking about. That rom will work for the I317M/I317 variants also.

Comes with most of the N3 features including Air Command(very handy), and you can use the S5 GUI and some of the S5 apps also.

It's been very stable for me so far. I love it and it's my current daily driver.

Good luck!
Looks fascinating! A brief read indicates its for the N7100 - thanks for clarifying that it works for the i1317M. Does Call Recording work for you?

DelphinusMinor

Looks fascinating! A brief read indicates its for the N7100 - thanks for clarifying that it works for the i1317M. Does Call Recording work for you?

I haven't tried. I can't test it at the moment either because I need to top my minutes up. D'oh! I should be doing that tomorrow sometime.

It's a great rom. Been using it for several days and no issues.

CatalystWon

Aug 20, 2010
Vancouver
1) Nope, t0lte is just as fine for the I317M. (If anything I'm even surprised the TWRP team still builds three separate recoveries. I'd have to look at the code for any meaningful differences, but I'm short on time to do that. Maybe ask on IRC?)

2) It's unfortunate, but then again there are other options, you could get a code from Koodo or elsewhere online; if you're adamant about keeping KNOX untouched. My understanding is that in Europe, the onus is on companies to prove that the user's root and ROM related activities caused problems with a given device. I'm thinking that the same would hold in many Canadian provinces if someone put up a fight in small claims court.

Thanks.
1) No need to check the TWRP code as your response was clear and helpful.

2) A local unlocker business told me: they have a new way that no longer requires downgrading to 4.1.1. With his codes, I could unlock the device without any additional software or PC for C$40. I explicitly asked about KNOX - he wasn't 100% clear but said he did not think it would affect it. He said they buy lists of unlock codes based on IMEI and resell them for a small profit. Koodo requires 90 days on Koodo + the same unlock $ fee. I wasn't planning on staying on Koodo that long. In perhaps the 8 hours by now I've spent reading about this on XDA, its still not certain a device with 4.3 can be customized without blowing the Knox efuse. Towelroot 'might' give me root without tripping it but the risk of losing a full 12 month warranty is not welcome. A used device might be OK if it was still on 4.1.x. If it had been downgraded from 4.3, though unlikely, I probably wouldn't know until after I got home. Otherwise I could root+custom right way and never mess with samsung roms.

Any suggestions are welcome!

CatalystWon

Aug 20, 2010
Vancouver
I haven't tried. I can't test it at the moment either because I need to top my minutes up. D'oh! I should be doing that tomorrow sometime.

It's a great rom. Been using it for several days and no issues.

You should be able to test it without using any of your minutes. Just call Koodo customer service from your handset (*611 I think) it should be a free call. When the voice menu begins, start recording. Ask a few questions like "Do you support custom ROMs?" :cool: or "Do you know the winning lottery numbers", or whatever, this is just a 2-way voice recording test. I use this trick all the time when testing. Enjoy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Good luck!