Fixing GPS problems Thread

Search This thread

globatron

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
Ok, we have numerous reports of GPS not holding lock after upgrading to Honeycomb.

This thread is for the purpose of identifying the resolution to this issue.

To begin with I'll start with asking for details from those of you who are encountering the issue and also those who are not.

What I want to know is, what software you were running and also exactly how you got to that version. For example ist is not sufficient to say you did my S-OFF upgrade, I also need to know the device (wifi or 3g) and version of the upgrade you used and whether you switched from a different version of the software to your current version.

For example, something like this:

Not Working: US Wifi Flyer, S-OFF, originally upgraded with the WIFI package built from 3.55.405.1 3G package, re-flashed with the US wifi OTA.

Casual observation seems indicate that it is all or mostly Wifi flyers that are affected.

Kudzus

Nov 10, 2010
Had trouble with my US Wifi Flyer, S-OFF, originally upgraded with the WIFI package built from 3.55.405.1. Updated that to us OTA package and still had trouble.

Started all over downgraded to GB then went straight to Globatron’s latest (the big file)
Working now

Reactions: globatron

globatron

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2009
All over the place
Had trouble with my US Wifi Flyer, S-OFF, originally upgraded with the WIFI package built from 3.55.405.1. Updated that to us OTA package and still had trouble.

Started all over downgraded to GB then went straight to Globatron’s latest (the big file)
Working now

Thanks, this is consistent with my working assumption which is that it affects WIFI flyers that were flashed with the 3g ROM.

timropp

Apr 1, 2009
I have the US wifi flyer. S-Off, installed the 3.55.405.1 3G package followed by Leedroid rom. GPS was no good. Went back to the 3.55.405.1 3G package (from nandroid backup) and GPS no good.

Then installed the US WiFi rom. GPS is fine. Installed Leedroid and GPS is still fine.

Reactions: globatron

vince2008

Dec 1, 2011
hi globaltron,
US BB Wifi Flyer, S-OFF, originally upgraded with the HC WIFI package built from previous RUU_flyer_wifi_B10.zip, then installed LeeDrOiD HC V2.1.0 but GPS satellite lock wont stay on (dropping signal), tried all agps patches no go. Finally flashed new RUU_flyer_wifi_BBUS.B10.zip (2x) just to make sure over leedroid rom still the same results.

Last edited:

grippa

Feb 26, 2008
UK
GPS Dropping

DEVICE: UK WIFI FLYER, 16GB

NOT WORKING: S-OFF, 3.55.401 - roms tried: LeeDroid, WestFire, Globatron's B09 (originally upgraded with the WIFI package built from 3.55.405.1 3G package)

NOT WORKING: S-OFF, 3.55.1114.31 - roms tried: HoneyPot, Globatron's B10

WORKING: S-ON, OTA 3.55.1114.31 (updated from Stock GB)

Also, worth noting that I (may) have experienced bluetooth problems. I use a OBD2 bluetooth adapter with my car and Torque App was having none of it with HC custom roms (including B09/B10). Basically, it connects to the OBD2 adapter, but but never negotiates the protocol. Works fine with GB and HC OTA. I could be alone on this since I don't trust the OBD2 adapter.

Navigation apps I use: CoPilot 8 & 9, Google Maps.

vince2008

Dec 1, 2011
[QUOTE
WORKING: S-ON, OTA 3.55.1114.31 (updated from Stock GB)[/QUOTE]

so, with S-ON no GPS issues good to know. I have been trying to find a fix with no avail. I'm S-OFF US HC wifi rom.

Last edited:

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
My observations using the GPS Status app.
DEVICE: US BB WIFI FLYER, 16GB

Working: GB stock rooted & GB Leedroid

NOT WORKING: S-OFF, 3.55.1114.31 All configurations below
1. Globatron's B09 (originally upgraded with the WIFI package built from 3.55.405.1 3G package).
2. Globatron's B10 Cross-grade from Globatron's B09 Wifi
3. Globatron's B10 full clean install of US Wifi RUU over Globatron's B09 Wifi .

Not tested : HC OTA update from GB

Setup: Turn off screen timeout. Open GPS status or another app that uses GPS that shows you status constantly.

Symptoms to watch for:
GPS turns on and locks quite fast, first time will stay locked for 30 - 60 secs. Then it loses lock and starts searching, Acquires lock again in a few seconds, then loses lock again after about 10 sec. repeats the loss of lock from this point acquiring and then losing lock every few seconds.

Tried clearing AGPS data and re-downloading, no help.

Last edited:

MePascal

Referring to DigitalMD's post above

I have the BestBuy WiFi 16GB Flyer
I purshed it stock and took the OTA HC update.
Over the last two days I have since Rooted S-Off and am running Globatron's US Wifi RUU build.

Before I rooted my GPS did not maintain lock. It was symptomatic like your findings.
After I rooted and flashed HC, GPS was still symptomatic.

I have since edited the /system/etc/gps.conf folder.
The first string of text by default is:
NTP_SERVER=north-america.pool.ntp.org
I have changed it to read:
NTP_SERVER=us.pool.ntp.org

I used Root Explore and long pressed the gps.conf file and selected open in text editor. Make and save changes and reboot.

Having owned the HTC Thunderbolt, that device was plagued with similar GPS issues and this was a fix that was offered up in other threads here at XDA.

Reactions: vince2008

vince2008

Dec 1, 2011

Over the last two days I have since Rooted S-Off and am running Globatron's US Wifi RUU build.

Before I rooted my GPS did not maintain lock. It was symptomatic like your findings.

I used Root Explore and long pressed the gps.conf file and selected open in text editor. Make and save changes and reboot.

Having owned the HTC Thunderbolt, that device was plagued with similar GPS issues and this was a fix that was offered up in other threads here at XDA.

thanks, will try this now.....

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
Have you tried observing the actual status using a GPS status app? It may relock fast enough to satisfy some programs like Google maps and navigation even if it unlocks every few seconds.

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
Theoretically that should not be enough to keep it locked , but might help achieve first lock faster. This is a strange problem so I don't know whats going on.

cnewsgrp

Mar 22, 2008
NOT WORKING:
1.Lee Droid
2. Globatron's B10 full clean install of US Wifi RUU over Lee Droid.

Not tested : HC OTA update from GB

Setup: Drive around with Flyer. It loses GPS consistantly every 1-2 minutes.

Symptoms to watch for:
GPS turns on and locks quite fast, first time will stay locked for 30 - 60 secs. Then it loses lock and starts searching, Acquires lock again in a few seconds, then loses lock again after about 10 sec. repeats the loss of lock from this point acquiring and then losing lock every few seconds.

Kudzus

Nov 10, 2010
Have you tried observing the actual status using a GPS status app? It may relock fast enough to satisfy some programs like Google maps and navigation even if it unlocks every few seconds.

Could someone try this for me … open the locations app and allow it to find you. Wait for the GPS icon, at the bottom to disappear, exit that app and open GPS Status … see if you maintain lock

Elim

Feb 17, 2008
Antwerpen
A-GPS as cause?

Maybe I overlook it but what I see, is the problem a 3G ROM on a WiFi version. I am not an gps-expert but is this not normal because we have a A-GPS which is using also 3G and WiFi signals for a proper GPS signal?

I will check this theory and maybe it has nothing to do with the ROM-Version but with the build.prop and other specific GPS stuff which expect a proper 3G.

PS. And yes, I am no fan from removing some phone apps to have a WiFi-version. This is dirty and I am not sure but maybe this problem is the outcome.

grippa

Feb 26, 2008
UK
Maybe I overlook it but what I see, is the problem a 3G ROM on a WiFi version. I am not an gps-expert but is this not normal because we have a A-GPS which is using also 3G and WiFi signals for a proper GPS signal?

I will check this theory and maybe it has nothing to do with the ROM-Version but with the build.prop and other specific GPS stuff which expect a proper 3G.

PS. And yes, I am no fan from removing some phone apps to have a WiFi-version. This is dirty and I am not sure but maybe this problem is the outcome.

As you said, A-GPS or Assisted GPS relies on a data connection to acquire some satellite information to make the lock faster. Therefore, it makes sense, if it was not as stable with out a 3G connection on the move.

But then again, whats confusing is that, it is stable on gingerbread, at least for me. but not on Honeycomb. i'm always tethered to my phone on the move, so A-GPS should work normally.

*EDIT: I forgot to mention, it happens on both the 3G HC ROM and WiFi HC ROM.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    no, it's not hboot.

Working now
    I have the US wifi flyer. S-Off, installed the 3.55.405.1 3G package followed by Leedroid rom. GPS was no good. Went back to the 3.55.405.1 3G package (from nandroid backup) and GPS no good.

Then installed the US WiFi rom. GPS is fine. Installed Leedroid and GPS is still fine.

ok, from there can you try the Stock(original) WIFI RUU from the Stock ROMs thread?

It is definitely not related to S-OFF, but there are some modifications to my RUU, obviously with the unsecured boot image and busybox being installed it's not 100% stock.

It should be in every way stock then except for the S-OFF hboot if you run the RUU.

yeah i'm not entirely sure whats going on. anyways, i just did a fastboot erase boot/system/userdata/cache and flashed the stock RUU 3.55.1114.31.

will do a GPS test on the way back home and report back. gonna get back to work now! wasted pretty much all day flashing.

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

lost S-OFF after that re-flash.