Frequently Asked Questions for Asus Transformer TF300T Thread

Search This thread

Welcome to the Frequently Asked Questions for your Asus Transformer TF300T

This thread is here to help our community out as best as it can.
Why is this thread here?
There's 2 main reasons really. The first reason is to stop the development threads getting filled with questions which have nothing to do with the thread they're posted in. That then makes the thread go off-topic which is not what a development thread is there for.
The second reason is because there are too many repetitive questions being asked. The main problem with that is the fact that other users will sometimes attack the OP and 'flaming' them.

The main way which this thread will help to stop that happening is by helping you out as much as possible, while being in a friendly environment.
Below you will find the Thread Rules which I expect you all to follow and not to break them.

Thread Rules

1. Remember that while posting in this thread and across the whole site, you must not break the Forum Rules.
2. Even though this thread is for everyone to use, there'll be a lot if new members in here so no flaming or insulting anyone else.
3. As this is a help thread, remember that there is no such thing as a stupid question.
4. Even if you get your question answered by reading the 2nd post, be sure to come back here and read some more. It will help you to learn even more.

Hall Of Fame

As I'll be keeping an eye on this thread quite a lot, I'll be adding the people to this list who have been the most helpful and are contributing the most, and we need your help for a good FAQs

Code:
[B][CENTER]
[B]1.[URL="http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=4518416"][B][COLOR="Blue"] - QuantumFoam[/COLOR][/B][/URL] who is the chief editor of the FAQ
2. -  [URL="http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=2559267"][B][COLOR="Green"]tobdaryl[/COLOR][/B][/URL] - Help provider
5.[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER][/B]

Asus TF300 Moderators

If you report any posts, the report will go to our SM (Senior Moderator) and FSMs (Forum Specific Moderators). They are our SM - zelendel and our FSMs - babijoee, chrisd1a1, Divine_Madcat, GODZSON, Moscow Desire, zacthespack . If you have any questions about this forum in particular then feel free to drop them a PM or you can use the button report

First of all, I'm linking to some general XDA threads which can help you become more familiar with this site and how things run. I feel this is one thing which new users don't realize because they think it's okay to come to this site and post anywhere.
If you don't feel this applies to you, please move onto the Asus TF300T links further down this post.

The first of all is the Forum Rules, which is the first thread that you must read and implement for taking good time here

The XDA Tour and Report Posts

XDA New User Guide - I can't stress enough how important that thread is. If you follow what that guide says, you'll be well on your way to becoming an asset to the XDA forums.

[HOW TO] Make A Substantial Thread, Post, Question & Poll - This is also a must read thread. Why, you ask? Well it's simple. Reading this will show you the best way to post your thread to ensure that people will respond and be able to help you. Rather than just giving no information or a thread title called "Mah phone brikked. Hlp me plzzz!", following that thread will give you the best chance of being helped.

[HOW TO] Make A Good Signature - This really is needed because as you'll see in a lot of signatures, mine included, is that we list our current devices and what ROM/kernel we are using. This helps people to help us. Take a look at the thread to find out what else to include in your signature.

ASUS TF300T Helpful Links
- [INDEX][04 Feb 2013]TF300T & TG-INDEX of Roms/Dev Guides/Kernels/Recoveries/etc.
- [GUIDE]Upgrade your TF300t to Jellybean, recovery, root & remove bloatware[Noobproof]
- (TF300T)For All Your Jelly Bean discussions-problems
- (TF300TG)For All Your Jelly Bean discussions-problems
- Small guide for Install recovery and rooting when you are already to JB
- [GUIDE] Help for flash more faster when you use Fastboot Line Command
- How to install Universal Naked Drivers

In post 2 there'll be an FAQ which will help you out aswell

And don't forget to rate for this thread -
ratef.png
Thanks in advance ;)

Last edited:

fuzzynco

Oct 29, 2008
HTC One Max
Samsung Galaxy S9
USB ADB Drivers (both OS and Recovery modes)

I have a new TF300T factory ICS 4.0.3.

I was able to setup APX mode and its driver is correctly
installed. The tablet is recognized as an MTP device and the
internal (/sdcard) mount point is reachable.

After enabling setup/developer options/USB debugging,
ADB does not 'see' the device though, adb devices
does not return the serial number.

I'm guessing I need more / different drivers.
I have the 'naked driver 0.72' package, but the
.inf is not setup for 'install' and device manager
update driver says I have the latest driver installed?

Do I uninstall the USB driver ASUS sync installed and
and then install the 'naked driver' package from the
new device wizard? :confused:

Thanks

Reactions: kjwaugh

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
I have a new TF300T factory ICS 4.0.3.

I was able to setup APX mode and its driver is correctly
installed. The tablet is recognized as an MTP device and the
internal (/sdcard) mount point is reachable.

After enabling setup/developer options/USB debugging,
ADB does not 'see' the device though, adb devices
does not return the serial number.

I'm guessing I need more / different drivers.
I have the 'naked driver 0.72' package, but the
.inf is not setup for 'install' and device manager
update driver says I have the latest driver installed?

Do I uninstall the USB driver ASUS sync installed and
and then install the 'naked driver' package from the
new device wizard? :confused:

Thanks

First some info. Windows thinks it should make the choices about drivers and is designed to keep us from choosing something that might cause problems. We need to maintain control through the process. I just received a window computer last week and had the same issue. This will be a long post but was necessary for me.

Here are the choices I had to use to change my drivers
windows-start - in search type device manager and return.
right click on the entry you wish to change the driver for.
Update Driver Software.
Browse my computer for driver software.
Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
Have Disk
Browse
choose the universal naked drivers directory
click on the proper inf file
windows says not signed; install anyway

using this method you don't have to uninstall your current driver
if you deviate at any step windows will refuse to allow this change
Good Luck!

fuzzynco

Oct 29, 2008
HTC One Max
Samsung Galaxy S9
sigh MTP works but ADB doesn't

First some info. Windows thinks it should make the choices about drivers and is designed to keep us from choosing something that might cause problems. We need to maintain control through the process. I just received a window computer last week and had the same issue. This will be a long post but was necessary for me.

Here are the choices I had to use to change my drivers
windows-start - in search type device manager and return.
right click on the entry you wish to change the driver for.
Update Driver Software.
Browse my computer for driver software.
Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
Have Disk
Browse
choose the universal naked drivers directory
click on the proper inf file
windows says not signed; install anyway

using this method you don't have to uninstall your current driver
if you deviate at any step windows will refuse to allow this change
Good Luck!

can'tn test fastboot yet, but guessing when one work both will.

Attachments

• error-code-10.jpg
    error-code-10.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 802

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
can'tn test fastboot yet, but guessing when one work both will.

I'm sorry your screen capture is not large enough to see.
With your tablet unplugged open device manager; now plug your tablet into the computer and you will either see asus adb interface or maybe a driver failure. Either a larger screen capture or try to explain the changes in device manager is needed.
It would be good if I knew the state of your tablet while you are doing this.
My screenshot for adb (at the top ) and data at the bottom.
Screenshot.jpg

Last edited:

fuzzynco

Oct 29, 2008
HTC One Max
Samsung Galaxy S9
followup: tf300 adb drivers?

I'm sorry your screen capture is not large enough to see.
With your tablet unplugged open device manager; now plug your tablet into the computer
and you will either see asus adb interface or maybe a driver failure. Either a larger screen
capture or try to explain the changes in device manager is needed. It would be good if I
knew the state of your tablet while you are doing this.

Both tablets work normally with their OSes and the supplied apps work as expected.
For the ICS one all I did was set developer options to enable adb, the tablet does display
the icon in the lower right corner, so the 'server' is working. I wanted to experiment
with custom firmware, so I got a new tablet that still has ICS so it can run nvflash
for tf300t.

Normal boot (the ICS tablet is unrooted & locked as it came from factory,
the JB one is rooted, (using OTA Rootkeeper and OTA JB updates),
locked). I have 2 tablets (Black is JB and Blue is ICS).

MTP and APX modes are recognized, neither recognizes ADB
('adb devices' does not return serial number with normal 'desktop'
displayed).

I see code 10 on the ASUS Transformer ADB interface, (with the usual 'exclamation point' error flag).
MTP and APX drivers did install and work as expected. normal OS (either ICS or JB) boot).
As I said, after looking at the content of the .inf file, there is a section for tf101 and tf201
but not for tf300 and tf700, I wondered if that was the issue ? If so, where does one get the
correct tf300t drivers for adb modes and fastboot mode?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104

As usual ASUS support was less than helpful. They tell me there are no ADB drivers
or Fastboot drivers. :confused:

While I'm asking, is ICS supposed to support USB mass storage, (on my HTC devices
I'm prompted for USB connection mode, (charge only (used with adb), disk (UMS) or
HTC sync)? ASUS doesn't prompt for UMS or MTP connection modes?

Thanks

Last edited:

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
Both tablets work normally with their OSes and the supplied apps work as expected.
For the ICS one all I did was set developer options to enable adb, the tablet does display
the icon in the lower right corner, so the 'server' is working. I wanted to experiment
with custom firmware, so I got a new tablet that still has ICS so it can run nvflash
for tf300t.

Normal boot (the ICS tablet is unrooted & locked as it came from factory,
the JB one is rooted, (using OTA Rootkeeper and OTA JB updates),
locked). I have 2 tablets (Black is JB and Blue is ICS).

MTP and APX modes are recognized, neither recognizes ADB
('adb devices' does not return serial number with normal 'desktop'
displayed).

I see code 10 on the ASUS Transformer ADB interface, (with the usual 'exclamation point' error flag).
MTP and APX drivers did install and work as expected. normal OS (either ICS or JB) boot).
As I said, after looking at the content of the .inf file, there is a section for tf101 and tf201
but not for tf300 and tf700, I wondered if that was the issue ? If so, where does one get the
correct tf300t drivers for adb modes and fastboot mode?

As usual ASUS support was less than helpful. They tell me there are no ADB drivers
or Fastboot drivers. :confused:

While I'm asking, is ICS supposed to support USB mass storage, (on my HTC devices
I'm prompted for USB connection mode, (charge only (used with adb), disk (UMS) or
HTC sync)? ASUS doesn't prompt for UMS or MTP connection modes?

Thanks

The universal naked drivers work properly for our unit even though they are not marked as such.
Asus MTP, go to settings/storage and select (in my case) three dots in the upper right(options). This will give you usb computer connection, click that, place a check beside MTP.

Your device manager entry with code 10 is where you use the directions I provided earlier to install universal drivers. While you were away I made a post in general with screen shots that may help.

Uptate:
I forgot fastboot. The tablet will only present the fastboot interface to your pc when you are in fastboot mode. From bootloader menu volume down to the usb symbol and volume up to select. This is only available after you unlock!

Last edited:

fuzzynco

Oct 29, 2008
HTC One Max
Samsung Galaxy S9
progress ADB for JB works, ICS doesn't.

The universal naked drivers work properly for our unit even though they are not marked as such.
Asus MTP, go to settings/storage and select (in my case) three dots in the upper right(options). This will give you usb computer connection, click that, place a check beside MTP.

Your device manager entry with code 10 is where you use the directions I provided earlier to install universal drivers. While you were away I made a post in general with screen shots that may help.

Uptate:
I forgot fastboot. The tablet will only present the fastboot interface to your pc when you are in fastboot mode. From bootloader menu volume down to the usb symbol and volume up to select. This is only available after you unlock!

Since neither tablet is currently unlocked I'm just trying
to get 'adb devices' to return the serial number in normal
OS boot mode. With the tablets in APX mode, Windows
Device Manager does see the APX driver correctly.

After updating the driver per your instructions, Windows 7
+ JB works, Windows 7 + ICS does not.

Windows 7 Pro '"see's" the Jellybean TF300T ('adb devices' responds with device serial number)
That tablet is running 4.1.1 (OTA JB) started life as 4.0.3 and was rooted without unlock while
on ICS, OTA Rootkeeper saved, JB OTA updated, OTA Rootkeeper restored root successfully.

The new ICS tablet that has nothing other than USB debugging turned on, is not seen on the same
Windows 7 Pro that see's Jellybean fine. I'm puzzled, if JB is seen properly, the driver is installed
correctly, right?? Unless there is factory defect in the new tablet, what else might cause different
behavior for ICS vs JB firmware, with the same driver? :confused:

Thanks

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
Since neither tablet is currently unlocked I'm just trying
to get 'adb devices' to return the serial number in normal
OS boot mode. With the tablets in APX mode, Windows
Device Manager does see the APX driver correctly.

After updating the driver per your instructions, Windows 7
+ JB works, Windows 7 + ICS does not.

Windows 7 Pro '"see's" the Jellybean TF300T ('adb devices' responds with device serial number)
That tablet is running 4.1.1 (OTA JB) started life as 4.0.3 and was rooted without unlock while
on ICS, OTA Rootkeeper saved, JB OTA updated, OTA Rootkeeper restored root successfully.

The new ICS tablet that has nothing other than USB debugging turned on, is not seen on the same
Windows 7 Pro that see's Jellybean fine. I'm puzzled, if JB is seen properly, the driver is installed
correctly, right?? Unless there is factory defect in the new tablet, what else might cause different
behavior for ICS vs JB firmware, with the same driver? :confused:

Thanks

It is very possible that adb will not work properly on ICS unless it is unlocked. I can't remember but would say it is very likely since JB does work and both use the same drivers. In two days I was unlocked, on the latest JB, twrp installed and waiting for a non stock based rom.
There are some differences between JB and ICS. I received ICS input from wha2do concerning methods of entry into apx and bootloader while I was gathering info to update my thread. Here are the ones we identified.
or - no need to hold volume with these
8. adb reboot bootloader
or
9. fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot-bootloader
or
10. from terminal - you must be rooted for this to work
su
reboot bootloader

Note 1: If you have nvflash installed some of the commands presented in this post may not work; possibly 8, 9, and 10 - THANKS TO wha2do for this info!
I need to update my info to: If you have ICS or Nvflash.

I think you are ok but give adb another try on ICS when you unlock and if you have problems let me know.

Reactions: Sib64

fuzzynco

Oct 29, 2008
HTC One Max
Samsung Galaxy S9
OK - 1st try will be unlock and attempt adb again

I think you are ok but give adb another try on ICS when you unlock and if you have problems let me know.

on ICS tablet

Do the locked root process
OTA Rootkeeper save
Unlock ICS bootloader
test fastboot devices
test adb devices
(if ok)
adb backup
fastboot flash recovery
boot to recovery
test adb devices (in recovery mode)
nandroid backup

Hopefully everything will work as it should :)
if everything else worked I can try nvflash backup process

*sigh* I hope it works

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
on ICS tablet

Do the locked root process
OTA Rootkeeper save
Unlock ICS bootloader
test fastboot devices
test adb devices
(if ok)
adb backup
fastboot flash recovery
boot to recovery
test adb devices (in recovery mode)
nandroid backup

Hopefully everything will work as it should :)
if everything else worked I can try nvflash backup process

*sigh* I hope it works

Good list and order. I'm always in favor of getting adb and fastboot working properly before going forward. If you experience problems you have done everything possible to give yourself a path to recovery.
Let me know If I can help further.
Good Luck!
Be positive! It's going to work!
Just take your time and try to stick to your list.
Note: do not use WIPE DATA on the bootloader menu!!!

Reactions: Sib64

fuzzynco

Oct 29, 2008
HTC One Max
Samsung Galaxy S9
Note: do not use WIPE DATA on the bootloader menu!!!

Note: do not useWIPE DATA on the bootloader menu!!! :eek:

You know, I've often wondered why that is even there,

The right place to do 'wipes' is in a custom Recovery,
where there is an OS controlling the device mounts
and unmounts. The boot loader is more or less like
a PC's BIOS, while it can do it, its too early in the
boot process for it to have the right understanding
about whats happening in the devices setup, to
do it safely and properly.

Reactions: tobdaryl

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010

+1
Thanks for the explanation.

Reactions: Sib64 and fuzzynco

quantum3

Feb 13, 2010
how to unlock bootloader please?

I just received my asus t300 and updated all the software OTA so it is now on stock Jelly Bean. I have read in a few places saying use the ASUS bootloader unlocker but it was for ICS i believe. I have read posts of the asus unlocker bricking devices that have JB installed and I don't want to be one of those people. Please point me in the right direction on how to safely unlock the bootloader so I can root and try out a faster ROM. I have rooted my cell phones (note2, gsIII) all day long but for some reason I can't find the start of the "bread crumb" trial for this device.

Thanks!!!
Q

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
I just received my asus t300 and updated all the software OTA so it is now on stock Jelly Bean. I have read in a few places saying use the ASUS bootloader unlocker but it was for ICS i believe. I have read posts of the asus unlocker bricking devices that have JB installed and I don't want to be one of those people. Please point me in the right direction on how to safely unlock the bootloader so I can root and try out a faster ROM. I have rooted my cell phones (note2, gsIII) all day long but for some reason I can't find the start of the "bread crumb" trial for this device.

Thanks!!!
Q

Quot from Asus: ※This tool now only works with TF300T ICS & JB of TW,US,WW CN SKU. It won’t work on other devices.

Register your unit with Asus, log into play store, run the unlocker. The bricks I have seen unlocking have been caused by WIPE DATA on the bootloader/recovery menu. Never use that!

Note: I failed to add this link earlier. This is good simple directions for unlock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sib64 and kjplasma

Peopie

Feb 21, 2013
San Diego
I'm not sure how to search for my problem, but I can try to describe it

all of my root directory has been moved into a folder called 0, and now there are just some random folders in the new root directory

I recently unlocked my bootloader and flashed twrp, and I made a recovery image at that point.

Then I flashed CM10.1
Then I decided not to use CM10.1 , so i tried to restore from the recovery image

So now thats where I am, and I am trying to root it now.

The default root directory that i had previously placed the CM10.1 zip is in the folder 0, and it wouldnt read any zips i placed in the regular root directory.

So if i place the root-signed zip into the regular root directory, it doesn't read it.
It does read it if it is in the same directory as the CM10.1 zip, or the folder called 0

I flashed the zip, and it didnt seem to do anything.

I may have not done a certain step during the recovery or restoration process, but I was pretty sure to wipe cache before flashing stuff, and I reset to factory before flashing CM10.1

So the main problem I am having now is that I am unable to be rooted.

Im sorry this is horribly worded >.<

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Welcome to the Frequently Asked Questions for your Asus Transformer TF300T

This thread is here to help our community out as best as it can.
    Why is this thread here?
    There's 2 main reasons really. The first reason is to stop the development threads getting filled with questions which have nothing to do with the thread they're posted in. That then makes the thread go off-topic which is not what a development thread is there for.
    The second reason is because there are too many repetitive questions being asked. The main problem with that is the fact that other users will sometimes attack the OP and 'flaming' them.

The main way which this thread will help to stop that happening is by helping you out as much as possible, while being in a friendly environment.
    Below you will find the Thread Rules which I expect you all to follow and not to break them.

Thread Rules

1. Remember that while posting in this thread and across the whole site, you must not break the Forum Rules.
    2. Even though this thread is for everyone to use, there'll be a lot if new members in here so no flaming or insulting anyone else.
    3. As this is a help thread, remember that there is no such thing as a stupid question.
    4. Even if you get your question answered by reading the 2nd post, be sure to come back here and read some more. It will help you to learn even more.

Hall Of Fame

As I'll be keeping an eye on this thread quite a lot, I'll be adding the people to this list who have been the most helpful and are contributing the most, and we need your help for a good FAQs

Code:
    [B][CENTER]
    [B]1.[URL="http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=4518416"][B][COLOR="Blue"] - QuantumFoam[/COLOR][/B][/URL] who is the chief editor of the FAQ
    2. -  [URL="http://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=2559267"][B][COLOR="Green"]tobdaryl[/COLOR][/B][/URL] - Help provider
    5.[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER][/B]

Asus TF300 Moderators

If you report any posts, the report will go to our SM (Senior Moderator) and FSMs (Forum Specific Moderators). They are our SM - zelendel and our FSMs - babijoee, chrisd1a1, Divine_Madcat, GODZSON, Moscow Desire, zacthespack . If you have any questions about this forum in particular then feel free to drop them a PM or you can use the button report

First of all, I'm linking to some general XDA threads which can help you become more familiar with this site and how things run. I feel this is one thing which new users don't realize because they think it's okay to come to this site and post anywhere.
    If you don't feel this applies to you, please move onto the Asus TF300T links further down this post.

The first of all is the Forum Rules, which is the first thread that you must read and implement for taking good time here

The XDA Tour and Report Posts

XDA New User Guide - I can't stress enough how important that thread is. If you follow what that guide says, you'll be well on your way to becoming an asset to the XDA forums.

[HOW TO] Make A Substantial Thread, Post, Question & Poll - This is also a must read thread. Why, you ask? Well it's simple. Reading this will show you the best way to post your thread to ensure that people will respond and be able to help you. Rather than just giving no information or a thread title called "Mah phone brikked. Hlp me plzzz!", following that thread will give you the best chance of being helped.

[HOW TO] Make A Good Signature - This really is needed because as you'll see in a lot of signatures, mine included, is that we list our current devices and what ROM/kernel we are using. This helps people to help us. Take a look at the thread to find out what else to include in your signature.

ASUS TF300T Helpful Links
    - [INDEX][04 Feb 2013]TF300T & TG-INDEX of Roms/Dev Guides/Kernels/Recoveries/etc.
    - [GUIDE]Upgrade your TF300t to Jellybean, recovery, root & remove bloatware[Noobproof]
    - (TF300T)For All Your Jelly Bean discussions-problems
    - (TF300TG)For All Your Jelly Bean discussions-problems
    - Small guide for Install recovery and rooting when you are already to JB
    - [GUIDE] Help for flash more faster when you use Fastboot Line Command
    - How to install Universal Naked Drivers

In post 2 there'll be an FAQ which will help you out aswell

And don't forget to rate for this thread -
    ratef.png
    Thanks in advance ;)
    Do you think upgrading to the tf700 is worth the extra money? Or what about the Samsung note 10.1 or whatever it is

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Between the two I believe I would choose the tf700 based on your need for a keyboard. You could use bluetooth but I expect many are already doing that and frequencies are limited(which limits the number that can be used in a small space - 30 feet).
    Comparing price in the B&H(BandH.com) catalog that came today the tf300 32gb is 451.76 and the tf700 32gb is 469.99.
    Note that at least some of the issues with the tf300 exist in the tf700. This seems to be due to Asus trying to limit full access to their units.
    Reserved for FAQ

+1
    Thanks for the explanation.
    Aaaand I'll take #5 :cool: