[baseband/radio update tutorial] how to update g2x to the july 15 baseband

Search This thread

xali

Sep 2, 2010
Mississauga
THIS MAY OR MAY NOT ONLY WORK ON XP (it may or may not work with virtualization).
THIS MAY SOFT BRICK YOUR PHONE
YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY

HOW TO UPDATE YOUR G2X TO THE JULY 15 BASEBAND/RADIO FIRMWARE

DOWNLOAD:
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=420545&d=1287222698
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RUO49V2D

PREREQUISITES:
USB FILES MUSH BE INSTALLED ALREADY: http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/G2X-Driver/index.jsp should be enough though you may need other drivers. also the lg support tool is there, it updates your device in the same exact way as this nex l33t hacker stuff except it's a lot more clunky and a ***** and probably won't actually do anything other than messing up your phone)
also I personally did http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1248644 to guarantee success though i'm sure it will work with any custom rom. idk tho. also use this link IF YOU SOFTBRICKED YOUR PHONE
also BACKUP EVERYTHING to somewhere; not too sure but I think this even formats the sdcard(internal storage)

INSTRUCTIONS:
unzip first file and follow instructions in readme (install msxml.msi then run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe).

Then
-LEAVE IT CDMA AND DIAG
-select your kdz file
-click "Read phone information"
-then in the new window click "Upgrade start" (do not click read phone information here it will crash)
-then select different country and change language to english
-click ok and contemplate which rom you will flash after it's done

CONCLUSION:
Not only will this flash a brand spanking new baseband it will also throw in tmobile bloatware and all that ewness

CONTEMPLATION:
DOes this even do anything? Only the dates change the version numbers stay the exact same. Also on a more whishful tangent what are the chances do you think other random firmwares (like battery controller or something idk) also get updated?

REFERENCEs:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1183168
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=15878353#post15878353

DISCLAIMER: I don't know what these files are and what they do and have no idea what's going on; at the end there's a more recent date in the corner of my phone and I am happy LOL. For more information scour the previous link.

(if you tried it and it worked plz post what you used (roms, cwm or stock recovery) and what exactly happened (did it also format the internal sd or whatever). if it didn't work plz post the problem and what exactly happened)

Last edited:

chuckhriczko

Inactive Recognized Developer

DOWNLOAD:

PREREQUISITES:
USB FILES MUSH BE INSTALLED ALREADY (someone please indicate exactly which drivers are required, though as far as I know the usb driver at http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/G2X-Driver/index.jsp is enough. also the lg support tool is there, it updates your device in the same exact way as this nex l33t hacker stuff except it's a lot more clunky and a ***** and won't actually do anything)
also I personally did http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1248644 to guarantee success though i'm sure it will work with any custom rom. idk tho
also BACKUP EVERYTHING to somewhere; not too sure but I think this even formats the sdcard(internal storage)

INSTRUCTIONS:
unzip first file and follow instructions in readme (install msxml.msi then run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe).

Then
-LEAVE IT CDMA AND DIAG
-select your kdz file
-then in the new window click "Upgrade start" (do not click read phone information here it will crash)

CONCLUSION:
Not only will this flash a brand spanking new baseband it will also throw in tmobile bloatware and all that ewness

CONTEMPLATION:
DOes this even do anything? Only the dates change the version numbers stay the exact same. Also on a more whishful tangent what are the chances do you think other random firmwares (like battery controller or something idk) also get updated?

REFERENCE:

DISCLAIMER: I don't know what these files are and what they do and have no idea what's going on; at the end there's a more recent date in the corner of my phone and I am happy LOL. For more information scour the previous link.

Updated basebands generally give better battery life, inceease reception and data speeds.

xali

Sep 2, 2010
Mississauga
I doubt the rom matters but in retrospect I think flashing the recovery thing to stock (removing CWM) is required.

someone pls confirm/deny

oh and yea not to mention much better gps; i have come across a few posts stating their experience was better though I wonder why lg wouldn't bother changing the version name but just the date
personally i hardly noticed any changes, only because the phone was perfect when i first got it and its still perfect now WHOOO srsly though weak spots are still weak etc

Last edited:

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Now the noobs have a designated place to go when they f up the baseband flashing :D:p:D

Well I'm not a noob by any means and that stupid LG Flasher screwed up my phone royally. I waited and waited for a CWM flashable zip of the baseband that never happened and one day I had an itch. That itch led to my phone being totally dead and unrecoverable. The LG Flasher app froze up mid-flash and bricked my phone.

Tmobile charged me $20 for a replacement even after I called and complained several times and spoke to retentions and even cancelled my account (I was so mad).

Afterwards I did find a FULL NVFlash of 2.3 which resurrected the phone, but the damage was done. I took the swap when it arrived as my original one had a TINY micro scratch at the bottom of the screen. So it wasn't totally wasted money.

Just goes to show that it isn't always the persons fault for bricking these G2x's.

xali

Sep 2, 2010
Mississauga
to be able to rip something like that we need to be able to know how to communicate with the baseband. right now we're using lg's software.

for details on how to possibly figure this out you should go here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=18491630

It's accomplished by issuing commands directly to the baseband, once in fastboot (sw update screen) a serial interface becomes available.

If you look at the nvflash thread I created a proof of concept that demonstrates the first phase.

I don't want to hijack this thread, you can pm me for more info.

I would like to get the imei so I can pull the factory image though... this in my opinion is better than a nandroid.

xali

Sep 2, 2010
Mississauga
Well I'm not a noob by any means and that stupid LG Flasher screwed up my phone royally. I waited and waited for a CWM flashable zip of the baseband that never happened and one day I had an itch. That itch led to my phone being totally dead and unrecoverable. The LG Flasher app froze up mid-flash and bricked my phone.

Tmobile charged me $20 for a replacement even after I called and complained several times and spoke to retentions and even cancelled my account (I was so mad).

Afterwards I did find a FULL NVFlash of 2.3 which resurrected the phone, but the damage was done. I took the swap when it arrived as my original one had a TINY micro scratch at the bottom of the screen. So it wasn't totally wasted money.

Just goes to show that it isn't always the persons fault for bricking these G2x's.

...what? I don't know what your'e trying to convince yourself but you just explained is that you messed around your phone, decided to haggle tmobile for a replacement for a small scratch, recovered your phone and then got it replaced anyways

that doesn't even make sense.... how did you get a new phone AFTER recovering an old phone. maybe im not reading right

but by the way my phone is a wind mobile p9999 its not even from tmobile and the thing worked flawlessly. I DID flash the same nvflash that you did too (I was actually trying to make the official lg thing work but it kept on saying it was already updated even with just 2.2.2; wait i just realized i have no idea what I flashed originally. i remember 2.2 but i mysef posted 2.3 GB rom lolwat whatever)

Last edited:

Hauk00

Apr 27, 2008
My phone, like many, had the installation fail and was stuck on the s/w update screen, this is a soft brick, NOT permanent. The guide quoted bellow worked as described to fix this issue. Like it says, the kdz tool works ONLY on XP, I used vmware to make an xp virtual machine and it worked fine.

As many have stated, pushing the v21E_00.kdz via the KDZ_FW_UPD program does work. It's just touchy.

This is a step by step guide to get you back in to working shape.

Note: You MUST do this via a PC running Windows XP. Running Vista/7 in compatibility mode is not going to work, period.

Edit: As an alternative, a virtual environment running XP will do the job. Those steps are up to you.

Part 1: Download the files you will need below.

V21E_00.kdz
KDZ_FW_UPD_EN
One-Click-G2x-recovery-flasher-06-16.rar
LG USB Drivers G2x

Part 2:

1) Install the LG G2x USB drivers to your WinXP machine.
2) Extract the entire contents of the One-Click recovery in to a folder and keep it handy.
3) Remove the battery from the phone. Hold both volume buttons and plug in the USB cable. If you are asked for a driver, look in the APX folder where you extracted the One-Click recovery archive.
4) Run OneClickRecoveryFlasher.exe and flash the stock recovery. Wait for the process to finish and close all windows and unplug the phone.
Edit: It's been reported that some users have been able to boot in to their old rom after this point. If you can, you're done. Go
back and put CWR on and flash whatever you want. If you are still stuck, continue this guide.

5) Put the battery back into the phone and turn it on. You will be back at the S/W Upgrade screen. This is where you want to be! Now plug the USB cable back in to the phone. If everything is up to snuff you should have no driver problems at this point.
6) Extract KDZ_FW_UPD_EN.7z in to a folder. Inside is a msxml.msi. You need to run and install this first!
7) Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe.. Leave the type set to CDMA and the phone mode set to DIAG. DO NOT CLICK ON "Read phone information"
8) Click the folder icon and load the V21E_00.kdz
9) Click launch software update (and pray!)

What you will see:

The log window will immediatly show:
22:41:02 : Launching SW update
22:41:02 : Unpacking KDZ

Then it will stop for a while.
After this you will most likely see:
22:41:16 : KDZ file extraced
22:41:21 : Files were extracted.
22:41:21 : LGMobileDL Load.
22:41:21 : Port = 5
22:41:21 : Connecting to phone
22:41:33 : Check Phone mode = 1

It will pause again before you see:
22:42:08 : Phone type check.......
22:42:08 : LGMobileDL.DLL Loading....
22:42:08 : _SetAuthMark Fail
22:42:08 : AuthMark°¡ Á¤È®È÷ Phone¿¡ Write µÇÁö ¾Ê¾Ò½À´Ï´Ù!
22:42:08 : _SetAuthMark Fail
22:42:08 : LoadCDMAPhoneData() Error
22:42:08 : _DetachDLL Call
22:42:08 : _DetachDLL Call End
22:42:08 : Param : Path = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\V21E.wdb
22:42:08 : Param : moduleDir =
22:42:08 : Param : waitTime = 33000
22:42:08 : Param : UsbHighSpeed = 0
22:42:08 : Param : PhoneMode = 1
22:42:08 : Param : BinVersion = V21E_00
22:42:08 : Param : AuthMark = 0
22:42:08 : Call fn_StartUpgrade

Finally after another pause you should start to get spammed by the following message:
22:42:41 : CDMA: wParam = 2007, lParam = 0
22:42:41 : Model Dll Msg Not Found(2007, 0)

You will even hear the USB disconnect/reconnect sound several times.
The sound and spam will continue until the lParam counts to 100.
It should look like:
22:46:25 : CDMA: wParam = 2005, lParam = 100
22:46:25 : Model Dll Msg Not Found(2005, 100)
22:46:25 : CDMA: wParam = 2001, lParam = 0
22:46:25 : Model Dll Msg Not Found(2001, 0)

After it gets to 100, your phone will reboot to the LG logo before going
blank. After a few moments of the blank screen you will get the TMO G2x splash before being dropped back in to your working phone.

Be patient as this takes a while. If at any point the program freezes for more than a few moments, it's most likely going to fail and you will need to try again.

Hope this helps. =)

Thanks to everyone who helped figure this out.

Edit: Added some missing info.

Last edited:

xali

Sep 2, 2010
Mississauga
I used win7 with no problems. updated my post anyways though. tell me what else i should change

also that guide you qouted, although it is the same as what I posted (i found it minutes later after i posted this LOL) it's purpose is to reset your phone to stock and a much easier way to do so is
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1248644

if you already have the apx drivers installed, all you have to do is take out battery hold vol keys plub in usb let go keys and then run the bat

i've softbricked my phone multiple times

also is very difficult to hard brick this phone the nvflash apparently works on a very low level. the only problem is when you think you have have an o2x from wind and flash the wrong baseband. THEN your method (and my same method) will fix it

not to mention that the only difference in that and this guide is that that one requires you to flash to stock recovery. is why I asked later if it was required. someone confirm/deny!
(if you tried it and it worked plz post what you used. if it didn't work plz post the problem)

Last edited:

byt3b0mb

Oct 8, 2009
Seattle
i have a question - i updated one of my g2x with the lg mobile update tool, and the other with this method - why in the hell does the KDZ flasher only work with an internet connection if we have the firmware file?

xali

Sep 2, 2010
Mississauga
Because the kdz flasher is actually the LG tool but just striped down or something. Remember that no one has been able to reverse engineer or figure out how to interact with the baseband thus far. I'm not even sure that the kdz file is a rom lol.

You used both tools? What happened for u? The LG tool refused to work and said I was already updated for me

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App

xali

Sep 2, 2010
Mississauga
With further forum lurking I think the problem is when on win7 u don't have drivers and the tool starts doing weird stuff

So install as many relevemt drivers as you can... or you know just find XP and install the basic LG drivers in first post and then try

Also try different USB port and reboot phone
Also mckenzie sure USB developer or something is on

Last edited:

vn00914361

Dec 24, 2010
Westminster
With further forum lurking I think the problem is when on win7 u don't have drivers and the tool starts doing weird stuff

So install as many relevemt drivers as you can... or you know just find XP and install the basic LG drivers in first post and then try

Also try different USB port and reboot phone
Also mckenzie sure USB developer or something is on

Been using adb to do stuff with my phone for a really long time already. I'm positive that I include all the drivers needed for my phone. This phone is actually running on July 15 baseband. I'm just trying to "redo" it and see how it goes. Trying to figure out a better way to enhance my batteries after switching

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

kaldak

Oct 12, 2009
Is it advisable to update the baseband this way if you're using a carrier other than T-Mobile? When I looked at what the LG updater tool had for my carrier (videotron), the latest update had... I think a may baseband.

Basically, can a newer baseband than your carrier expects you to have screw stuff up?

LurkerRWO

May 2, 2011
I am trying to install the new baseband from a win7 computer. I know its up in the air if it will even work, but I thought I would test it and see what happens.

Everything is going smooth so far, but when I click "upgrade start" in the read phone information dialog box I get the error

"Please install CSMG B2C client TOOL Select Tool -> B2C Client Setup menu."

Did a little searching but all I found was some russian thread about the o2x and some jerk spammed a thread with this problem and was threatened with a banning :D

Any ideas about this? Pretty sure I have all the drivers installed and actually I just found out I get this error even when my phone IS NOT plugged into the pc. What the Eff?

daweeze02

Jul 10, 2009
I tried this for hours last night on my Tmobile G2x with a March baseband. The reasoon is my GPS takes sometimes 10 minutes to lock on. I have tried the GPS fix where you edit the GPS file and it didn't work, as well as a GPS fix from marketplace. Anyways I have all the drivers installed(WIN7)but the LG updater tool gets to 30% but fails communicating with my phone. I flashed back to the stock rom from the dev section to no avail as well. Should I nvflash back and try it that way? Oh and after going from CM7 to stock the GPS still didn't work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS MAY OR MAY NOT ONLY WORK ON XP (it may or may not work with virtualization).
    THIS MAY SOFT BRICK YOUR PHONE
    YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY

DOWNLOAD:

PREREQUISITES:
    USB FILES MUSH BE INSTALLED ALREADY: http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/G2X-Driver/index.jsp should be enough though you may need other drivers. also the lg support tool is there, it updates your device in the same exact way as this nex l33t hacker stuff except it's a lot more clunky and a ***** and probably won't actually do anything other than messing up your phone)
    also I personally did http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1248644 to guarantee success though i'm sure it will work with any custom rom. idk tho. also use this link IF YOU SOFTBRICKED YOUR PHONE

INSTRUCTIONS:

Then
    -LEAVE IT CDMA AND DIAG
    -select your kdz file

CONCLUSION:

CONTEMPLATION:

REFERENCEs:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=15878353#post15878353

(if you tried it and it worked plz post what you used (roms, cwm or stock recovery) and what exactly happened (did it also format the internal sd or whatever). if it didn't work plz post the problem and what exactly happened)
    D
    Deleted member 4128896
    I had the same issues and even when I got past that stage I kept getting a star model error. I'm curious if anyone else on wind has figured it out

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

I dont know, i went through the whole thread and downloaded a bunch of different files. But I still cant get mine to update. Im on the wind phone that people seem to be having trouble with. The one that says I have the latest rom, which I do not. Frustrating. And on top of it, im running windows 7 which makes the KDZ method crash. :/

I'm a wind user as well and I've had my share of headaches because of the KDZ updater, but thanks to a few xda members flashing basebands has become as easy as flashing a rom for me. Hopefully it'll be as easy for you too, so here's what needs to be done:

1) follow the instructions here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1248644&highlight=nvflash to nvflash stock 2.3.3 (Some people say this step is not needed but it's different for everyone and nothing goes wrong with stock)
    2) follow the instructions here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1610597 to update your baseband.

If you run into any problems let me know and i'll try give you more details.
    OK, I managed to finally do this with my Wind P999 that was on Jun 5 baseband.

I'm going to link to a couple of sources that helped me and then explain briefly what I did.

DEV KDZ update in Optimus 3d forum: here

Optimus 3D posts on flashing KDZ (in part): here

I couldn't use the "KDZ_FW launches LG update" because LG update complained I didn't need an update.
    Also, KDZ_FW_UPD crashed under windows 7 for me.

What I did differently that I havent seen anyone in the G2X forum post is this:

1) I put the phone into 'download mode' (ie; forced it to the s/w upgrade screen)
    I did this by removing the battery , plugging in the USB with only vol-down held down.

2) I used the KDZ_FW_UPD thats floating around on the g2x forum, not the ones listed in the threads above. For me, I used it inside "XP MODE" virtual pc that comes with windows ultimate/pro/etc.

3) No one posted in this forum is - you don't need to do the silly "Read phone info" garbage. You can use the 'launch software update' on the first page of the KDZ_FW tool. WITH TYPE "3GQCT" and PhoneMode "EMERGENCY"

4) I found that the USB disconnected every so often during the update, normally that shouldn't be a problem, but in a virtual environment you might have to quickly "re-attach" the local usb to the XP virtual box. Depends on your virtual box.

I am not knowledgeable about this stuff! I just know what worked for me.
    Big thanks to the guys over in the optimus 3d forum for having such good resources to take advantage of.

I'm sure there are many other variations that will work to do this.
    I uploaded these copies of what I actually used, Im afraid I can't attribute who I got the original files from since there are quite a few different ones around.

V21E P999 KDZ file: here
    KDZ_FW_UPD_EN file: here
    Getril just updates the RIL files, no change to the baseband.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Can you post the links to the files again? The ones on page 1 don't work thanks to the US.

Also can you confirm that you were on June baseband before?

Getril just updates the RIL files, no change to the baseband.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Can you post the links to the files again? The ones on page 1 don't work thanks to the US.

Also can you confirm that you were on June baseband before?

I know for sure I was on the march baseband before. What I did is, I did that l33t hacking stuff he said earlier, which links you to another thread. I installed v21 stock. So it removed my CWM. From there on I ran the LG updater tool. Like the one that lg made and not the hacked KDZ thingy. I ran the updater and bam! New baseband

Here is the link to the. KDZ that jboxer kindly re-loaded for me
    http://www.mediafire.com/?zrgr3mzw4xbe9oe

Sent from my G2X
    Hellfire Phoenix
    Hello people! Mind updating the link...cause Megaupload is gone forever and all...Thanks in advance :D

I posted about a week ago in a thread and included a link that I found and used. I'll see if I can dig it up. It was either on NVFlash/CWM thread or another baseband one...

EDIT: I'll host it for now, if anyone wants to seed this that would be awesome... not sure how long i'll have this up... but HERE is v21e