[APP][Nov-13-2013] Capacitive Buttons v1.0.13

Search This thread

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener

Thanks for the info. Could you try the attached APK to see if it works more correctly on your HTC Sensation: CapButnBrightness-eymas-01.apk

Note that you must first uninstall the version of the app that you got from the play store before installing this APK. Otherwise this test version will fail to install because it is signed with a developer key which will conflict with the version from the play store that is signed with the production key.

Please let me know how this version of the app works correctly on your HTC Sensation.

Thanks!

Attachments

• CapButnBrightness-eymas-01.apk
    428.4 KB · Views: 20

Farkonian

Mar 12, 2010
With the info you provided I have a guess at what a fix might be. Could you test the attached APK: CapButnBrightness-Farkonian-01.apk

Note that you must first uninstall the version of the app that you got from the play store before installing this APK. Otherwise the two will interfere with each other. Please let me know how this version of the app works for you.

Thanks!

So far this version seems to be working. I will update you again tomorrow. Thank you! You rock!

szzlgupta

Mar 15, 2013
New Delhi
Dim is not supported by my kernel > cyanogenmod 10.1 on Samsung Galaxy S Advance. Off and On works perfectly. Its very irritating that those lights turn up whenever I touch my screen! Thank You for this app :)

Reactions: denversc

eymas

Jan 14, 2012
Seems the same thing is happening apparently, Quite a bummer.

Code:
Application Version: eymas-01

Detected Device: HTC One X+ (evitareul)
Supports Setting Capacitive Buttons Backlight Brightness: Yes
Setting Capacitive Buttons Backlight Brightness Possible: Yes

/sys/class/leds/button-backlight/currents
File Exists: Yes
File Permissions: Read-Only
File Contents: 3

/sys/class/leds/button-backlight/brightness
File Contents: 1

/sys/class/leds/button-backlight/lut_coefficient
File Exists: No

Build.BOOTLOADER: 1.27.0000
Build.DEVICE: pyramid
Build.DISPLAY: cm_pyramid-userdebug 4.3.1 JLS36I 3f164eb28d test-keys
Build.MANUFACTURER: HTC
Build.MODEL: HTC Sensation
Build.PRODUCT: htc_pyramid
Build.VERSION.RELEASE: 4.3.1

Process UID: 10097

Farkonian

Mar 12, 2010
With the info you provided I have a guess at what a fix might be. Could you test the attached APK: CapButnBrightness-Farkonian-01.apk

Note that you must first uninstall the version of the app that you got from the play store before installing this APK. Otherwise the two will interfere with each other. Please let me know how this version of the app works for you.

Thanks!

Still working great! Thank you!! :good::D

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
Seems the same thing is happening apparently, Quite a bummer.

Oops. I just noticed from the debug information you pasted that I didn't actually implement the fix properly. I added the code to handle HTC Sensation but forgot to actually activate it. Can you try the APK attached here to this post: CapButnBrightness-eymas-02.apk. Sorry about that. Let me know how this one works on your HTC Sensation.

Attachments

• CapButnBrightness-eymas-02.apk
    428.4 KB · Views: 19

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
A new beta version of this app is available: v1.0.13-Beta1. This is primarily a bugfix release, but also adds support for HTC Sensation. Please test the attached CapButnBrightness-1.0.13-Beta1.apk and reply with your experiences, good or bad.

EDIT: This is no longer the latest beta version; please use v1.0.13-Beta2 instead: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=47322458#post47322458

Changes in v1.0.13-Beta1 (since v1.0.12)
  • fix issue where buttons backlight sometimes turns off after a few seconds instead of staying on
  • avoid cycling through the "dim" setting in the widget if dim is not even supported
  • fix issue where "dim not supported" is erroneously reported on when selecting "off" brightness when dim is not supported (HTC One X international quad-core variant only)
  • correct spelling error in a dialog: brigtness -> brightness

Please reply to this post with your feedback. If reporting issues, please go to the "Debug Information" screen, press the "copy" button, and paste its contents. This will immensely help with investigation of issues.

Reminder: This "beta version" of the app is signed with a developer key so it will fail to install if you have an official version of the app installed. So you must first uninstall any official versions of the app before installing this test version.

Attachments

• CapButnBrightness-1.0.13-Beta1.apk
    368.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
A new beta version of this app is available: v1.0.13-Beta2. This includes all of the changes in v1.0.13-Beta1 but also fixes HTC Sensation, which was reported to be fixed in v1.0.13-Beta1 but actually was not. Please test the attached CapButnBrightness-1.0.13-Beta2.apk and reply with your experiences, good or bad.

Changes in v1.0.13-Beta2 (since v1.0.13-Beta1)
  • fix brightness levels for HTC Sensation

• fix issue where buttons backlight sometimes turns off after a few seconds instead of staying on
  • avoid cycling through the "dim" setting in the widget if dim is not even supported
  • fix issue where "dim not supported" is erroneously reported on when selecting "off" brightness when dim is not supported (HTC One X international quad-core variant only)

Please reply to this post with your feedback. If reporting issues, please go to the "Debug Information" screen, press the "copy" button, and paste its contents. This will immensely help with investigation of issues.

Reminder: This "beta version" of the app is signed with a developer key so it will fail to install if you have an official version of the app installed. So you must first uninstall any official versions of the app before installing this test version.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• CapButnBrightness-1.0.13-Beta2.apk
    369.1 KB · Views: 64

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
A new version of this app is available: v1.0.13. This version fixes issues with the buttons backlight turning off, avoids cycling through "dim" in the widget if not supported, and adds HTC Sensation support. This version has been published to the Google Play Store in the "Pro" version; the free version will be updated to v1.0.13 on Dec 04, 2013.

The free version has also been updated to v1.0.12, and is available in the Play store and the APK is available at: http://dl.bintray.com/sleepydragon/CapacitiveButtons/CapButnBrightness-1.0.12.apk

Changes in v1.0.13 (Since v1.0.12)
  • HTC Sensation support added

NOTE: If you have a beta or test version of this app installed, you must first uninstall it before installing one of these two official versions. The reason is that having two versions of the app installed will interfere with each other. Also, the official APKs are signed with the "official" key, whereas the beta/test versions are signed with the developer key, and if keys don't match then the app will fail to install.

nickdoherty

Aug 14, 2012
Brantford
dirtyunicorns.com
Officially Supported Devices
  • HTC One X (evita and endeavoru)
  • HTC One (m7)
  • HTC One X+ (evitareul)
  • HTC One S
  • HTC Sensation

Unofficially Supported Devices
  • HTC One V
  • HTC Desire HD
  • HTC Evo 3D
  • HTC Droid MAXX
  • HTC Droid DNA
  • HTC Butterfly S
  • LG Optimus G

Officially Unsupported Devices (devices that are known not to work)
  • Samsung Galaxy S2
  • Samsung Galaxy S3

I didn't read the whole thread to see if this had changed but with your newest release its working good on my Galaxy S3 running CM11. Thought I would let you know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
I didn't read the whole thread to see if this had changed but with your newest release its working good on my Galaxy S3 running CM11. Thought I would let you know.
Thanks for the report. I'm honestly surprised, but pleasantly surprised! If you wouldn't mind, could you copy the contents of the app's debug information screen and paste it here? That will help me understand how it works on your phone.

nickdoherty

Aug 14, 2012
Brantford
dirtyunicorns.com
Application Version: 1.0.12

Detected Device: HTC One X+ (evitareul)
Supports Setting Capacitive Buttons Backlight Brightness: Yes
Setting Capacitive Buttons Backlight Brightness Possible: Yes

/sys/class/leds/button-backlight/currents

/sys/class/leds/button-backlight/brightness
File UID: 10032
File Contents: 0

/sys/class/leds/button-backlight/lut_coefficient

Build.BOOTLOADER: I747MVLDMF1
Build.DEVICE: d2att
Build.DISPLAY: Quantum v3-Beta 2
Build.MANUFACTURER: samsung
Build.MODEL: SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
Build.PRODUCT: d2uc
Build.VERSION.RELEASE: 4.4

Process UID: 10032
CPU ABI 1: armeabi-v7a
CPU ABI 2: armeabi

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Reactions: denversc

htnawsaj

Feb 5, 2013
Is it possible to have tasker integration ?

i am interested to have below profiles..

1.Switch off capacitive buttons when Video/Games
2.Switch off using proximity sensor.
3.dim under specific conditions..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Cap_Butn_Brightness_Title_Banner.jpg

This small application allows you to change the brightness of the capacitive buttons (back, home, and recent tasks) on many HTC devices and a few non-HTC devices, including the HTC One X (both dual-core and quad-core models), the HTC One X+, and the HTC One. Users have also reported success on other devices, including HTC One V, HTC One S, HTC Desire HD, and Evo 3g. Root is required in order for this application to work. This application works on any ROM, including CleanROM, ViperXL, Cyanogenmod, AOKP, and MIUI.

App review by Portal Administrator / Editor-in-Chief for XDA-Developers Will Verduzco: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/easily-dim-the-capacitive-buttons-on-many-htc-devices

Features
    • Intuitive UI to set the brightness of the capacitive buttons to bright, dim, or off
    • Home screen widget to cycle between brightness levels

Latest Versions
    Latest Pro Version: 1.0.13
    Latest Free Version: 1.0.13

Download
    Google Play (Pro version): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sleepydragon.capbutnbrightness.pro
    Google Play (Free version): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sleepydragon.capbutnbrightness
    APK (v1.0.13): http://dl.bintray.com/sleepydragon/CapacitiveButtons/CapButnBrightness-1.0.13.apk
    YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Zj-z02CR8

Differences in the Pro Version
    The Pro version receives new features and bug fixes 2-4 weeks earlier than the free version. That's it! Oh, and also the free version has a link at the bottom of the main UI to upgrade to pro. The main motivation to pay for the pro version is to get official app updates easily and automatically via the Google Play Store. If you're happy with waiting for updates or using beta versions then you can live a full and happy life with the free version.

Officially Supported Devices
    • HTC One X (evita and endeavoru)
    • HTC One (m7)
    • HTC One X+ (evitareul)
    • HTC One S
    • HTC Sensation

Unofficially Supported Devices
    • HTC One V
    • HTC Desire HD
    • HTC Evo 3D
    • HTC Droid MAXX
    • HTC Droid DNA
    • HTC Butterfly S
    • LG Optimus G

Officially Unsupported Devices (devices that are known not to work)
    • Samsung Galaxy S2
    • Samsung Galaxy S3

Frequently Asked Questions
    • Which brightness setting is "stock"? It depends. On Sense based ROMs (eg. CleanROM, ViperXL) "Bright" seems to be the default. On AOSP-based ROMs (eg. CM10, AOKP) "Dim" seems to be the default. It all depends on how/if the ROM maintainer tweaked the default setting. The "default default" (ie. if you RUU to stock) setting is "bright". In v1.0.4, a "Default" button was added to allow reverting to stock brightness.
    • How do I get back to the default setting? The most reliable way is to click the "Default" button on the main screen of the application then simply reboot. Or, you can just set the brightness setting that is the default.
    • What happens if I uninstall the app? Nothing. Well, it doesn't change the brightness setting if that's what you're wondering. After a reboot, though, the brightness setting will revert back to the ROM's default setting.

Known Issues
    • "Dim" does not work on all ROMs and kernels
    • "Off" does not stick when "GV Integation" app installed

Source
    This application is released under the GPL3 open-source license. Source code is published at https://code.google.com/p/hox-cap-butn-brightness

Reporting Bugs
    Use the "Bug Reports" feature of this DevDB project or add a post to this thread. Please include the contents of the application's "Debug Information" page (available from the "Settings" screen) when reporting bugs, as it contains invaluable information for developers to use when investigating issues. There is a "Copy" button in the top-right corner of the screen for easy cut & paste.

Credits
    Turge - for providing a MOD to perform the same task (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1694375)
    gridlock489 - for providing higher-resolution images for the buttons in the main UI
    slimdizzy - for testing on the HTC One X+ and letting me borrow his device to try things out
    TToivanen - for testing on the International HTC One X (endeavoru)
    lesscro - for providing the title banner that you see at the top of this post
    skdubg - for testing on the HTC One X+, especially the new "dim" support

Change Log (brief - see full change log in the next post)
    • 1.0.13 (Nov 14, 2013) Fixed buttons turning off issue, skip dim in widget if not supported, HTC Sensation support added
    • 1.0.12 (Oct 24, 2013) Fixed "default" button error: "Changing permissions of file failed"
    • 1.0.11 (Oct 23, 2013) Fixed long-standing issues with UI lags and superuser permissions usage, animation added to home screen widget
    • 1.0.10 (Sept 10, 2013) Home screen widget added, HTC One brightness levels fixed
    • 1.0.9 (Sept 03, 2013) HTC One support added, support for devices without the "currents" file added
    • 1.0.8 (Jan 02, 2013) dim support for all devices, new home screen icon, debug information and credits screen added, fixed about screen scrolling
    • 1.0.7 (Dec 10, 2012) fixes bug where brightness setting does not persist when turning screen off then back on; only affects endeavoru and evitareul
    • 1.0.6 (Dec 06, 2012) added support for HTC One X+ and International HTC One X (endeavoru); added detected device name at bottom of "About" screen
    • 1.0.5 (Nov 25, 2012) fixed pixelated button images in main UI (thanks to gridlock489 for providing higher-resolution images)
    • 1.0.4 (Nov 03, 2012) visual indication when buttons pressed, better error message if not rooted, "Default" button added, some words translated
    • 1.0.3 (Oct 11, 2012) Brightness setting now sticks across reboots
    • 1.0.2 (Oct 03, 2012) Change theme to Holo (dark), replace button text off/dim/bright with pretty icons
    • 1.0.1 (Oct 02, 2012) Added to Google Play, new application icon, added "About" screen
    • 1.0.0 (Sept 29, 2012) Initial release

Old APKs:

Feel free to bake the free version of this app into custom ROMs or publish it in other places. No need to ask permission from me. However, I am quite interested personally in different places that this app is used. So if you do include it in a ROM or whatever feel free to post a note to this thread to let me know! The app is licensed under the GPL, which means you can even take it apart and include it in your own stuff... I just ask that you honor the spirit of the GPL (unlike HTC's 120-day policy... grrr!)

Threads for this app for other devices (obsolete - please use this thread instead):

XDA:DevDB Information
    Capacitive Buttons, a App for the Android General

Contributors
    denversc

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.0.11
    Stable Release Date: 2013-10-23

Created 2013-10-24
    Last Updated 2013-12-07
    A new beta version of this app is available: v1.0.13-Beta1. This is primarily a bugfix release, but also adds support for HTC Sensation. Please test the attached CapButnBrightness-1.0.13-Beta1.apk and reply with your experiences, good or bad.

EDIT: This is no longer the latest beta version; please use v1.0.13-Beta2 instead: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=47322458#post47322458

Reminder: This "beta version" of the app is signed with a developer key so it will fail to install if you have an official version of the app installed. So you must first uninstall any official versions of the app before installing this test version.
    This app was previously managed in several different forums, one per device. As the list of supported devices has grown it has become more and more difficult to manage each thread. As a result, I've created this centralized DevDB project to track all development of this app going forward. Links to the device-specific forums are in the OP, but I'd encourage you to use this thread here instead. Android Rocks!
    A new version of this app is available: v1.0.12. This version fixes the "default" button which was broken by yesterday's v1.0.11 release. This version has been published to the Google Play Store in the "Pro" version and will be available to pro users in the next few hours from the Play Store; the free version will be updated to v1.0.12 on Nov 13, 2013.

Changes in v1.0.12 (since v1.0.11)
    • Fix "default" button error: "Changing permissions of file failed: /sys/class/leds/button-backlight/brightness (Operation not permitted)" (see screenshot)
    A new version of this app is available: v1.0.11. This version addresses some long-standing issues with UI hangs and superuser permissions usage. It also adds an animation to the home screen widget. This version has been published to the Google Play Store in the "Pro" version; the free version will be updated to v1.0.11 on Nov 13, 2013.

Changes in v1.0.11 (Since v1.0.10)
    • Animation added to home screen widget
    • Improved superuser permissions usage
    • Fix lags and hangs of the UI when changing brightness levels
    • Fix occasional issue turning buttons backlight back on with screen on HTC One XL (evita)
    • HTC One S officially supported
    • Logcat log messages cleaned up