PocketShield prevents Pocket Player from turning off screen

Search This thread

guney

Mar 17, 2008
I'm running into a usability issue with PocketShield on the Touch HD.

I use Pocket Player for audio book listening quite a bit. Pocket Player has an option to turn off the display after 60 seconds to conserve battery power, while still playing the audio. After I installed PocketShield, it was initially turning off my device every time Pocket Player turned off the screen. (So the audio was stopping too.) I then added Pocket Player to the "application permissions" in PocketShield, so that the device is not locked while Pocket Player is loaded. That prevented the turn-off problem.

But, now, PocketShield is effectively preventing Pocket Player from turning off the screen. Any time Pocket Player times out after 60 seconds and turns off the screen, the screen goes off for only a split second, only to come right back on again. (I know that this is like a power cycle for the device, because if I leave a menu in Pocket Player open--like I sometimes do with the seek menu, to be able to rewind quickly, if I have to, while listening--the menu is closed when the screen comes on again.) Of course, this now means that, as long as PocketShield is on, the screen is always on while using Pocket Player, which multiplies battery usage by a factor of five or more, naturally.

The only workaround that I can think of is to turn PocketShield off (or "disable" it) any time I'll use Pocket Player, and turn it back on after I'm done. This is hardly convenient, and it leaves the door open for forgetting to turn PocketShield back on and ending up with pocket dialing again and all sorts of unintended button use while in my pocket, which completely defeats the purpose of using PocketShield. I look through the settings in PocketShield and I can't see any that would hold any hope in helping me with this problem.,

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know of a workaround? I doubt that Pocket Player would be the only media player with which this would happen.

For anyone interested in the details, my current PocketShield settings are as follows:

LOCKING OPTIONS:

Power off when lock: Disabled
If wakes up, power off in 20 secs: Disabled
Disable hardware keys: Enabled
When phone starts ringing: Keep keys disabled
Do not lock on external power: Enabled

UNLOCKING OPTIONS:

With light: Enabled
With finger slide: Enabled
With movement gestures: Disabled
Round center button: Disabled
On stylus out: Enabled
Produce vibration feedback: Disabled
Application permissions: Pocket Player

pckshd

Dec 30, 2008
Hello,
Its something on how PocketPlayer internally performs the screen off operation, I think it’s a very particular (maybe not standard?) way to do it.

Some other applications that also perform “screen off” do not cause this effect on PocketShield, they all work “in peace” (you can confirm this by using for example HTorch or xdaShutdown or even the native “screen off” during call the HTC Phone has.

The only workaround I can suggest is to disable the “60 secs” timer on PocketPlayer and rely on the “20 secs power off” of PocketShield together with the Application Permissions you already have set. This way, if your device turns on by any event, PS will do screen off after 20 seconds if no unlock is done. And if you want to manually screen off just press the power button. None of the mentioned will stop the player.

Regards