Nook Touch Root Guide is OUT.

Search This thread

case-sensitive

Nov 4, 2010
Hmm I guess this means i am going to be running by barnes and noble to buy one on the way home from work today. It is really too bad they saw this coming and didn't put 3g in it.

If you (or anyone) do get a NookTouch and root it, I'd be most appreciative if you could share you experience regarding several points:

(1) pdf -- zooming and landscape (NookTouch does not have multitouch; can we at least use the "+/-" zoom buttons in the free acrobat pdf reader? -- assuming that we can sideload apps!)

(2) can we install an alternate launcher? (e.g. zeam)

(3) can we access (google) calendar/contact/gmail?

(4) connectbot? terminal emulator?

(5) kindle/aldiko/etc?

(6) battery life?

Thanks!

adityahbk

Nov 9, 2010
Mumbai,India
www.adityat.com
If you (or anyone) do get a NookTouch and root it, I'd be most appreciative if you could share you experience regarding several points:

(1) pdf -- zooming and landscape (NookTouch does not have multitouch; can we at least use the "+/-" zoom buttons in the free acrobat pdf reader? -- assuming that we can sideload apps!)

(2) can we install an alternate launcher? (e.g. zeam)

(3) can we access (google) calendar/contact/gmail?

(4) connectbot? terminal emulator?

(5) kindle/aldiko/etc?

(6) battery life?

Thanks!
all except 6 can be possible, thought 6 is possible but if you are ready to give up performance then you can use setcpu which requires root. :)

case-sensitive

Nov 4, 2010
all except 6 can be possible, thought 6 is possible but if you are ready to give up performance then you can use setcpu which requires root. :)

I agree/believe that the first five bullet points I raised are possible; what I'm interested in is the *experience* -- e.g. is it realistic to use a rooted NookTouch to sideload the acrobat reader to read a 20 page science paper in pdf with equations *comfortably* (the latter would likely mean reading in the landscape mode).

As for item #6: this entire thread is about rooted device :) My question is whether using the rooted NookTouch to run regular (not flash) apps like acrobat reader/aldido/brower would kill the battery (e-ink uses energy only when it reflashes, but if you have to scroll your pdf file/webpage frequently then this might still be an issue...).

kimgkimg

Jun 8, 2011
Is sideloading the only option for loading apps onto the rooted Touch, or is it possible to get apps on there via an app store?

pbcal

Sep 22, 2010
Is sideloading the only option for loading apps onto the rooted Touch, or is it possible to get apps on there via an app store?

If we can sideload Ammazon Market it should let you download app. I will try it tonight.

Once we have Adb working possibilities are endless.:)

ubuntu1138

Dec 10, 2010
I was ready to run out and pick one up, but even if rooted, the screen refresh makes it seem frustrating for web browsing.

Video: liliputing.com/2011/06/139-nook-touch-has-a-web-browser-no-rooting-required.html

Having said that, apps that don't require fast screen updates (words with friends, chess, sudoku) will probably work well.

mjj777

Jun 8, 2011
Looks like this is the nook touch developers forum for now.

That's fantastic that it was rooted so quickly.

It sounds like the next step is getting a launcher working. As of now, it seems the only way to run apps is via adb wifi.

It would be nice to keep the original interface and have the option to get to an apps screen via the top bar.

Anyone currently working on this?

Last edited:

3DogLover

Jun 9, 2011
I can't get the files to root Nook Touch

I clicked on the links in the NookDevs site to get the two files I needed to root my Nook Touch and I got caught up in some crazy website where it kept wanting me to load their software and not the files I wanted. What's up with that? How exactly do those links work? Is there an easier way to get those files downloaded?

zonyl

Jul 24, 2007
Anyone try rooting and getting the Kindle app and/or Google Books on there?

I installed it, however, I cannot get it to launch.

Maybe someone can spot my error. Im trying this in the shell

# am broadcast -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.amazon.kindle/com.amazon.kcp.application.ReddingApplication
Broadcasting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cmp=com.amazon.kindle/com.amazon.kcp.application.ReddingApplication }
Broadcast completed: result=0

Which doesnt do anything. Is there some other magic needed?

ph0n33z

Sep 23, 2007
I'm going to be following this closely. I really hope development progresses to the point of being able to use the kindle app and some other android productivity apps. As soon as it is confirmed, I'm off to go buy one.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This seems to be the source code of the new nook (if i'm not wrong)
    images.barnesandnoble.com/PResources/download/Nook/source-code/nook2_1-0.tgz

(Il found it on that page
    barnesandnoble.com/nook/legal/)

(Sorry i can't post links)
    Nook Touch Root Guide is OUT.

Link.

I'm sure something will be worked out. Give it time. :p
    I should get one, I'm pretty sure one can cook up a modified CM7 for this easily.
    As others have observed, we need a specific forum for the Nook Touch (if there is one now I haven't found it). I got a Nook Touch yesterday and rooted it using the instructions linked to this thread. It all went well but now I've got several questions.

This rooted Nook Touch is running off the micro SD card, I presume (my rooted Nook Color runs CM7 on internal memory). If I swap out the nooter card for a generic micro SD the Touch boots to stock. If I install nooter on a faster micro SD will it have a meaningful effect on the speed of my installation (refresh rate and such)?

My 2gb micro SD shows as being a tiny fraction of that size -- a consequence of burning the nooter image I guess. Could I have burned the image in such a way that it would have retained the full size of the card but still generated the bootable image I need?

I have Market but, even though I can type in the Search box I can't make it actually search for apps. Is this a known problem or am I overlooking something?

I can't find a way to use my own images as wallpapers. I'd be happy to have NO wallpaper just to have the most readable homescreens. Anybody figure out how to do either one?

I'm no longer a complete noob at this stuff but just barely. All wisdom welcomed.

It doesn't run off the SD card. You have no room on the SD card because it partitioned it to roughly 80mb for the install. Once it's done and working take it out and format it and you can use your full card.

The search box problem is standard right now. Try to find a market link on the web for specific apps or use the browser and go to Market.Android.com to open the market page. As for wallpapers...I just downloaded a wallpaper app and set it that way. Works fine for me