Verizon Not Going To Throttle Unlimited 4G Afterall

Search This thread

Roefastford

Oct 18, 2011
Honestly I think it may have been a good idea, after all why should data hogs get to slow everyone else's speeds down ? If someone is using a ridiculous amount of data why should everyone else have to suffer for it ?

dante020

Dec 17, 2010
Honestly I think it may have been a good idea, after all why should data hogs get to slow everyone else's speeds down ? If someone is using a ridiculous amount of data why should everyone else have to suffer for it ?

Or maybe, since some customers are entitled to unlimited data, Verizon should keep their infrastructure updated and upgraded to handle the demand rather than blame someone for using a service they're paying for.

Roefastford

Oct 18, 2011
Or maybe, since some customers are entitled to unlimited data, Verizon should keep their infrastructure updated and upgraded to handle the demand rather than blame someone for using a service they're paying for.

I"am talking about the real data hogs the ones that stream videos all day long. With all their customers it would be nearly impossible to be able update that much to where the data hogs dont affect all the others using data, they can only do so much its not like they can just pull those kind of updates out of there arse.

I"am talking realistically that is why verizons data is slower than at&t's because verizons is already congested enough then add on data hogs and everyone else feels the effects of the over users, which its the ones that brag about how much data they use like they are proud of it and try to use as much as they can and have no reguard for anyone but themselves.

dante020

Dec 17, 2010
I"am talking about the real data hogs the ones that stream videos all day long. With all their customers it would be nearly impossible to be able update that much to where the data hogs dont affect all the others using data, they can only do so much its not like they can just pull those kind of updates out of there arse.

I"am talking realistically that is why verizons data is slower than at&t's because verizons is already congested enough then add on data hogs and everyone else feels the effects of the over users, which its the ones that brag about how much data they use like they are proud of it and try to use as much as they can and have no reguard for anyone but themselves.

Streaming videos all day long should be an acceptable use of unlimited data. The real problem is people torrenting and tethering and racking up 100+GB/mo. Even then, those people are a vast minority and I doubt they have a realistic effect when looking at the big picture.

robocuff

Jul 23, 2011
I"am talking about the real data hogs the ones that stream videos all day long.

Well, the problem with that is, from what I've read Verizon has said the top so called 5 percent (of "data hogs") supposedly is those that use 4 GBs and up. I find it hard to believe that 4 gigs makes the top 5 percent. I'm one who still has unlimited data. I use anywhere from 4 GB's to 6 GB's of data a month. Something that isn't hard to do. If I happen to use 5 GB's, or even 10, I'd like to know how my 5 congest the network anymore than somebody who's on a 10 gig plan and uses 5 in that same month does.

To me, it's obvious this was nothing more than a ploy to try to force those that still have unlimited data to get off it. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with it if they'd do the same with everyone. But to just single somebody like me out when the guy who has a 10 gig plan uses more than I do is, well, like I said, it's obvious what it is.

It seems to me if they want to get rid of the unlimited data users they should just eliminate the plan. Can't quite figure out why they don't do that. Nobody who has unlimited has a contract with them anymore so I can't see any legal type reason. Perhaps there are more of us left out there than I think and they are worried that it would cause too many customers to jump and run. So, instead, try to squeeze them out slowly and eventually when there isn't enough of them left to worry about, eliminate the plan all together.

Can anybody tell me how my 4-6 GBs a month congests the network anymore than the guy who has a 10 GB plan and uses the same does? I didn't think so. ;)

Last edited:

Roefastford

Oct 18, 2011
Streaming videos all day long should be an acceptable use of unlimited data. The real problem is people torrenting and tethering and racking up 100+GB/mo. Even then, those people are a vast minority and I doubt they have a realistic effect when looking at the big picture.

I think they should be cut to at least half speed when they go over 5 gb's that is fairly reasonable. I think they slow things down more than people realize, you have to take in to account how congested a lot of towers can be in populated areas and they are infringing upon the rights of others, Why should they be able to slow everyone else down ?

dante020

Dec 17, 2010
I think they should be cut to at least half speed when they go over 5 gb's that is fairly reasonable. I think they slow things down more than people realize, you have to take in to account how congested a lot of towers can be in populated areas and they are infringing upon the rights of others, Why should they be able to slow everyone else down ?

I think you're missing the point - if you're sold an "unlimited" service it should be unlimited. It's fully Verizon's responsibility to provide the infrastructure that can support the service they sold. If they can't support said service then they shouldn't have it as an option.

Roefastford

Oct 18, 2011
Well, the problem with that is, from what I've read Verizon has said the top so called 5 percent (of "data hogs") supposedly is those that use 4 GBs and up. I find it hard to believe that 4 gigs makes the top 5 percent. I'm one who still has unlimited data. I use anywhere from 4 GB's to 6 GB's of data a month. Something that isn't hard to do. If I happen to use 5 GB's, or even 10, I'd like to know how my 5 congest the network anymore than somebody who's on a 10 gig plan and uses 5 in that same month does.

To me, it's obvious this was nothing more than a ploy to try to force those that still have unlimited data to get off it. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with it if they'd do the same with everyone. But to just single somebody like me out when the guy who has a 10 gig plan uses more than I do is, well, like I said, it's obvious what it is.

It seems to me if they want to get rid of the unlimited data users they should just eliminate the plan. Can't quite figure out why they don't do that. Nobody who has unlimited has a contract with them anymore so I can't see any legal type reason. Perhaps there are more of us left out there than I think and they are worried that it would cause too many customers to jump and run. So, instead, try to squeeze them out slowly and eventually when there isn't enough of them left to worry about, eliminate the plan all together.

Can anybody tell me how my 4-6 GBs a month congests the network anymore than the guy who has a 10 GB plan and uses the same does? I didn't think so. ;)

I"am not talking about total data per say I"am talking about data hogs that slow down others in populated areas, if the data speed is there then I think it shouldn't matter but when they are infringing upon the rights of others by slowing them down because they are being a " Data Hog " then they should be cut to half speed.

I"am not saying cut them to 3g speed but cut them to half the lte speed if they are affecting the use of others speed wise.

dante020

Dec 17, 2010

There are actually people out there with unlimited contracts. In fact, I renewed my contract several months ago and kept my unlimited data. There are still ways around it.

I"am not talking about total data per say I"am talking about data hogs that slow down others in populated areas, if the data speed is there then I think it shouldn't matter but when they are infringing upon the rights of others by slowing them down because they are being a " Data Hog " then they should be cut to half speed.

I"am not saying cut them to 3g speed but cut them to half the lte speed if they are affecting the use of others speed wise.

The only fair solution here is to throttle everyone equally. As stated by robocuff, throttling unlimited plans is just a ploy to get people to move over to metered plans.

Roefastford

Oct 18, 2011
I think you're missing the point - if you're sold an "unlimited" service it should be unlimited. It's fully Verizon's responsibility to provide the infrastructure that can support the service they sold. If they can't support said service then they shouldn't have it as an option.

Cellular providers have a different definition of unlimited, most providers have a 2 to 3 gb limit even on unlimited plans. I think sprint capped theirs at 5 gb's at some point not sure anymore. They have to limit or you have people using their cell data plan for their home internet and use 100 gb's or more tethering to computers.

I"am not talking about saving them money what I"am talking about is how these abusers affect the other data users why should the normal user be affected by these data hogs, how is that fair to the average user ?

They should be slowed to 1/2 lte speed if they are affecting others as they have no right to abuse and affect everyone else.

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

There are actually people out there with unlimited contracts. In fact, I renewed my contract several months ago and kept my unlimited data. There are still ways around it.

The only fair solution here is to throttle everyone equally. As stated by robocuff, throttling unlimited plans is just a ploy to get people to move over to metered plans.

If they hog the data then they should be slowed down, that would not be fair to the average user. Why should data hogs be allowed to put their needs over everyone else ?

dante020

Dec 17, 2010
Cellular providers have a different definition of unlimited, most providers have a 2 to 3 gb limit even on unlimited plans. I think sprint capped theirs at 5 gb's at some point not sure anymore. They have to limit or you have people using their cell data plan for their home internet and use 100 gb's or more tethering to computers.

I"am not talking about saving them money what I"am talking about is how these abusers affect the other data users why should the normal user be affected by these data hogs, how is that fair to the average user ?

They should be slowed to 1/2 lte speed if they are affecting others as they have no right to abuse and affect everyone else.

The solution is for Verzon to upgrade their infrastructure or stop offering unlimited plans. Aside from that, I think we should agree to disagree since this is going in circles.

Reactions: blestsol

robocuff

Jul 23, 2011

I understand that but the problem with it is Verizon isn't talking about just those that you're talking about. They're including those that may use less data than somebody on a tiered plan. I fail to see how that can be optimizing anything when they allow others to use more and not throttle them too.

Roefastford

Oct 18, 2011
I understand that but the problem with it is Verizon isn't talking about just those that you're talking about. They're including those that may use less data than somebody on a tiered plan. I fail to see how that can be optimizing anything when they allow others to use more and not throttle them too.

Yeah maybe they should just throttle anyone to half lte speed after they use so much data in one day, such as limit each one line to a data limit of 1 gb then over 1 gb in a day and lte speeds go to 1/2 speed of the others that used less than 1 gb.

That would be extremely reasonable and fair and would slow down the hogs using 100 gb's and such so even on unlimited they could still get up to 30 gb's in a 30 day period all at full speed and anything over the 1 gb per day goes to 1/2 the lte speed of others.

dante020

Dec 17, 2010
If they hog the data then they should be slowed down, that would not be fair to the average user. Why should data hogs be allowed to put their needs over everyone else ?

One more response and then I'm done. Data isn't a limited resource, although bandwidth sometimes is. Consider the case where someone with an unlimited plan uses 5GB of data on an uncongested tower and affects nobody. Then, they move to a different and congested tower. Is it fair that, according to you, they should be throttled simply because they have "unlimited" data and already used their allowance of unthrottled data? Keep in mind that Verizon has no problem letting a limited plan run as fast as possible. In fact, if a limited plan passes its limit, service isn't interrupted - the account is charged and data keeps on flowing. It is beneficial for Verizon to keep all limited plans running at full speed so that they can maximize revenue.

Bottom line is, this is just a money-making ploy. You can still be a "data hog" with a limited plan so long as you keep your wallet open so your argument of "fairness" isn't valid.

Roefastford

Oct 18, 2011
One more response and then I'm done. Data isn't a limited resource, although bandwidth sometimes is. Consider the case where someone with an unlimited plan uses 5GB of data on an uncongested tower and affects nobody. Then, they move to a different and congested tower. Is it fair that, according to you, they should be throttled simply because they have "unlimited" data and already used their allowance of unthrottled data? Keep in mind that Verizon has no problem letting a limited plan run as fast as possible. In fact, if a limited plan passes its limit, service isn't interrupted - the account is charged and data keeps on flowing. It is beneficial for Verizon to keep all limited plans running at full speed so that they can maximize revenue.

Bottom line is, this is just a money-making ploy. You can still be a "data hog" with a limited plan so long as you keep your wallet open so your argument of "fairness" isn't valid.

They should just throttle anyone to half lte speed after they use so much data in one day, such as limit each one line to a data limit of 1 gb then over 1 gb in a day and lte speeds go to 1/2 speed of the others that used less than 1 gb.

That would be extremely reasonable and fair and would slow down the hogs using 100 gb's and such so even on unlimited they could still get up to 30 gb's in a 30 day period all at full speed and anything over the 1 gb per day goes to 1/2 the lte speed of others.

Div033

Aug 17, 2010

This right here. The only instance where 4.6 gigs is the "top 5 percent" is when you factor in ALL data plans, including the cheap ones. I'll bet you any money that's how they arrived at that number.

It should've been the top 5 percent of unlimited data users only.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

robocuff

Jul 23, 2011
This right here. The only instance where 4.6 gigs is the "top 5 percent" is when you factor in ALL data plans, including the cheap ones. I'll bet you any money that's how they arrived at that number.

It should've been the top 5 percent of unlimited data users only.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
My thoughts exactly. I'd be willing to bet they're including those who aren't using smart phones. So called dumb phones. They use data too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Verizon is the one trying to abuse, not us unlimited users.

Verizon is trying to tell me that because I use 60gbs a month and $30 a month I'm clogging up the network and ruining everyone's experience, BUT if I pay $225 its completely ok and not ruining anyone's experience.....it's bull crap. We saw it, and thankfully the FCC saw it as it was.

Roefastford sorry but you just sound angry and jealous of the people who have unlimited unthrottled data. Why are you so worried about the network being clogged up anyway, don't you have WiFi and home internet?? ???

Edit:
    Also as unlimited data user that uses 50-60gb's a month easy you can imagine I'm very rarely ever on WiFi, and with "so many of us clogging up the network" my data experience is pretty damn good so good in fact that I use 50-60gb's. So idk what you're crying about man.

WHO am I ???? I"am a paid user that should not be screwed over by someone that thinks its his right to abuse and has no disreguard for anyone but himself, that is WHO I am

Your talking out of your arse you or any other dta hog has the right to slow everyone else down because you want to try to use as much data as you can not caring how it affects everyone else. What gives you the right to screw everyone else over that is using the same tower ? Answer is you dont have the right to abuse the service and everyone else...

There is a difference between being a user and an abuser if your using gigabits a day of data then your an abuser and actually verizon should then throttle you to 1/2 the lte speed of others why should you be able to affect everyone else answer is you shouldnt be able to.

I dont need unlimited data that is what wifi and home internet are for, are you one of the ones that are too cheap to pay for home internet so you abuse cell data to get away with it and in the process cheat everyone on your tower out of data speed they are using because you want to be a " DATA HOG "

Your posts on this sound like you care about no one but yourself and you love being nothing but an abuser and you could care less if you slow everyone elses data speeds, you care about no one but YOURSELF...

Again, please demonstrate how you're being "screwed over by someone else", that someone else simply availing themselves of what Verizon has offered, and they've paid for?

Verizon says that the "excessive" data users are less than 5%, and therefore they have decided there's no need to throttle them, because they deem their infrastructure capable of handling the amount of projected traffic.

If you go to a restaurant where there's both a menu and an all-you-can-eat buffet, do you scream at the people in the buffet line that they're eating up your food and not being fair to you and everyone else? Didn't think so.

You showed your hand when you started ranting about "fairness" and socialistic ideas like bringing the unlimited plan owners in line with "everyone else". For whatever reason, you're butthurt because you don't have unlimited data, and you're for damn sure wanting to bring everyone down to your own level. Not because you've suffered at all from unlimited data users (or, abusers, as you want to call them to justify your own ideas on the subject), but because it's faiiiirrrrrr.

What's fair is, I paid for unlimited data, which means I get to use as much as I want without paying more, or penalty. You paid for whatever tiered plan you're on, and you're limited to what you agreed to and can afford to pay for. Verizon has seen fit to leave unlimited plans in place, as they're not having the impact that people like you seem to have a hard-on about.

That's FAIRNESS.