[Rom] [30/12/2011] Moscow's A501 3.2 Alexandra II Rev4 OC/UV

Search This thread

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Moscow Desire's Alexandra II r4 ROM OC/UV Kernel

NO Random Re-boots. 'Nuff said! And no more Display freeze..

OC Speeds to 1600. RTrip's version 3.4+ kernel. Solid Stability with A501 internal 3g.

BATTERY MODS Available. See 3rd post below!

Note: This is for the Acer A501, and not the A500.

500 users can run this, but you will need to modify the build.prop file to reflect Wifi-only. (if you get an occasional Please Insert Sim, remember it's for an A501)

Why do you want to use this Rom?
1. It's stock Android. 3.2. No tweaks to the Apks except for graphics.
2. It's overclocked Kernel is by one of the best.
3. Longer battery Life in comparison with normal and overclocked speeds. Better than Stock.

Second release based on Acer_A501_4.027.15_COM_GEN1. Kernel HoneyVillain-3.4+ kernel based on longer battery life with OC speed with undervoltage. Min, 216, Max 1646. Modded nav buttons with a light blue theme.

First release retired due to restrictions enforced at XDA on using a certain Dev's code.

For Credits, I would like to thank:
KJY2010- for giving me the insight to do this, and actually publish it. A wealth of knowledge as he got me going.
Thor2002ro - You're the man
Civato- I stole some buttons dude! And man, I'm still stealing...
RichardTrip- Use of his kernel (src link on his thread)
JaeKar99- I ripped off your boot animation.
Krid of-k - Base Battery Mod
And for all the Dev's that made all this possible. We cannot thank you enough.

First off, this is my first modded rom. So I would appreciate any feedback. Some things need improved, and will be, in the next couple of weeks. But the core 3.2 is unmodified, except for the System UI and Framework-res, to allow button mods and a couple of other things.

What works.... everything that is included. This includes GPS. Initial start took 1.5 minutes to lock on to most sat's for precise loction in Moscow. If you try it from your basement or toilet, well, good luck.

What doesn't work, nothing that I can see.

What's removed:
Just about everything Acer.
All games.
There's still 1 or 2 annoying things that I will take care of soon.
Apps Installed:
Other than the usual SU and Busybox...
AdFree
Asus Weather
Bluetooth File Transfer
CPU Master Free
File Manager HD
ES File Explorer
Hackers Keyboard
MX Video Player w/codecs
Polaris Office
Open VPN
SDrescan

Language Support:

Cestina, Dansk, Deutsch, English, Spanish, French, Italian, Nederlands, Norsk Bokmal, Polish, Portugese, Suomi, Svenska, Russian, 1 Arabic and 4 Asian (don't ask)

Installation:
Advise you upgrade your CWM recovery to Thor202ro's latest. So much easier.

1. Wipe User Data
2. Wipe Cache
3. Wipe DalviK
4. Wipe Battery Stats

Note: Optional Formatting.
If you really want to remove EVERYTHING in Internal Memory, at this point, go to Backup and Restore. Select "Toggle backup and restore of internal storage (/data/media). Enable this setting by selecting it. By default, it is disabled. Then proceed to the formatting steps. This will format the Entire Internal Memory when you proceed.

If you want to save all the things like downloaded files, apps, pdf's etc, then DO NOT enable this toggle, and just proceed to the Format steps.

Select Go Back, Goto Mounts and Storage
1. Format System
2. Format Cache
3. Format Dalvik
4. Format Flexrom

Select Go Back and select Install from Zip File (for those of you who refuse to update their recovery, select Install zip from SD)

Select Alexandra II r2 A501 .zip

NOTE: you may get an Offset error xxxx. Ignore it. Seems common these days. After installation is complete, Go Back, and Reboot system.

You'll see a small "flash" during the Acer Logo. This is normal, as it is the custom kernel loading. Also, when running for the first time, you will get an "OK" prompt as the "Acer" (cough cough) installer finishes. One of the things I hope to delete in the future.

For Overclocking, use CpuMaster and set your CPU speed. 1504 is what I run the most. Set your governor to "on demand" or "Interactive" for longer battery life. Set to "Apply at Boot". If you don't like CPUMaster, then you are free to uninstall it, and Use SetCpu or PimpMyCpu.

Disclaimer:

You flash this Rom at your own risk. If you follow the instructions exactly, there is no reason why you should have issues installing the Rom. If you feel you are smarter than the instructions, and can save a little time by bypassing some steps, don't come crying. Figure it out.

Titanium Backup users, I don't want to hear it. And this goes for anybody else running 2.3 Gingerbread apps on Honeycomb. It is much better, to download an app fresh. Google loves you.

This is a first release, and of course, all comments are welcome, good or bad.
DOWNLOAD

What's coming next? I will continue working on the theme, and incorporate some of the newer updates. If I can light a fire in the 501, I will.

Attachments

• homescreen.jpg
    homescreen.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 3,182
  • CPU_Master.jpg
    CPU_Master.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,237
  • GPS_15_sec_lock.jpg
    GPS_15_sec_lock.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 2,034
Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Change Log

Third Release V4

Changed kernel to Villain 3.4+ due to 3g screen freeze. A501 is not so forgiving to overclocked kernels as the A500. The internal 3g is very sensitive to system board voltages. At this time, the version 3.4+ kernel offers stability, increased speed, and increased battery power. Stability is the most important.

Second Release

Changed kernel to Villain 3.7 due to XDA policy on using Thor kernel

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
BATTERY MODS

Ok. Here are some Battery Mods.

If you see a battery mod you would like me to add, send me a link and I will check it out and include the images in a new mod. I'm definately not a good Photoshop person, but we'll see.

1. All Blue Circle type. Remains Blue until the very end. Download

2. All Blue Circle type, however changes to warning colors at 20% battery Download

3. All Blue Circle only Dots. Download

4. Multi Colored Circle. Download

5. Return to original Alexandra II Rom type. Download

NAV Button Mod

Return to Stock HC 3.2 Nav Buttons Download
This should not effect Battery Mods.
Wipe;
Cache
Dalvik Cache

You can check the image below to see the Circular Mods. Dotted Circular means just that.... Dotted.

To Install Battery Mod Only:
1. Download and Copy the zip to your SD card.
2. Reboot your Tablet into CWM Recovery (Vol- and PWR)
3. Wipe ONLY the following;
a. Cache
b. Dalvik Cache
c. Battery Stats. (Important to do this)

"go back"

4. Select "Install Zip from SD
5. Choose the battery mod zip you downloaded, and confirm.

When finished, re-boot the tablet. Note that it will take a minute or 2 to finish re-booting.

WARNING: These Battery and Button Mod's are for the A501_4.027.15_COM_GEN1 base Rom ONLY. It is possible they will work on other roms with the same base Rom, but I will not promise this.

Attachments

• BatteryCharging.jpg
    BatteryCharging.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 629
Last edited:
Reactions: ubutnux
K

kjy2010

Good job bro! I knew you could get it out by the end of the week. Just had to increase alcohol and coffee intake! :eek:
Looks great. More lovin' for the A501!
Where are all the people that were complaining about no roms for this device now?
;)

ubutnux

May 21, 2010
bandung
nice to see new dev here for a501. downloading right now.
happy new year everyone :)

edit: one more thing, i think you should mention one or two reasons why people want to use this rom

Last edited:

civato

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2011
Well as long it's the buttons of the rom and not the buttons of my wife here shirt I'm all OK with that. :D

Need some more stuff just pm me !

ps: sorry Luke but you cannot post the link of the darside , if the rebel forces see that gatway they will close it down.

May the dark force be with you!!!

Last edited:

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
Awesome .. now maybe we will have less complaining about 501 support..

Loosen up the buttons Baby... Sharing is caring... we would have ics complete roms by now if there were more sharing and co-operation.
but what do i know im just a couch tator..

civato

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2011

Loosen up the buttons Baby... Sharing is caring... we would have ics complete roms by now if there were more sharing and co-operation.
Not sharing , ask KJY , he had a glimps of my lady , sheeeeeeeeee is mine , mine , mine...

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator

More information than most of us need to know........;)

"Peel" those clothes off baby. Let me see your (tater) core...

Get it? Tater peels....;)

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Well as long it's the buttons of the rom and not the buttons of my wife here shirt I'm all OK with that. :D

Need some more stuff just pm me !

If it were a shirt, it would be on the floor near the end of my bed. Along with panties, bra, etc.:D (erica and werecalf, relax)

Bunch of perverts....

No, I will PM you later. About "HC" buttons :D

now where did I leave that bottle.......

Edenprime

Dec 27, 2010
Manchester, UK
Goooood joooob. Good job. Gooooooooooooood joooooooooob - do you hear Hancock here? :) anyway good job for us A501 users not loved by the devs. Hope to see it more and more improved (but does it really need to be improved) even though the over-hyped ICS is knocking on the Iconia door.

Sent from my Subar...khem...A501

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Moscow Desire's Alexandra II r4 ROM OC/UV Kernel

NO Random Re-boots. 'Nuff said! And no more Display freeze..

OC Speeds to 1600. RTrip's version 3.4+ kernel. Solid Stability with A501 internal 3g.

BATTERY MODS Available. See 3rd post below!

Note: This is for the Acer A501, and not the A500.

500 users can run this, but you will need to modify the build.prop file to reflect Wifi-only. (if you get an occasional Please Insert Sim, remember it's for an A501)

Why do you want to use this Rom?
    1. It's stock Android. 3.2. No tweaks to the Apks except for graphics.
    2. It's overclocked Kernel is by one of the best.
    3. Longer battery Life in comparison with normal and overclocked speeds. Better than Stock.

Second release based on Acer_A501_4.027.15_COM_GEN1. Kernel HoneyVillain-3.4+ kernel based on longer battery life with OC speed with undervoltage. Min, 216, Max 1646. Modded nav buttons with a light blue theme.

First release retired due to restrictions enforced at XDA on using a certain Dev's code.

For Credits, I would like to thank:
    KJY2010- for giving me the insight to do this, and actually publish it. A wealth of knowledge as he got me going.
    Thor2002ro - You're the man
    Civato- I stole some buttons dude! And man, I'm still stealing...
    RichardTrip- Use of his kernel (src link on his thread)
    JaeKar99- I ripped off your boot animation.
    Krid of-k - Base Battery Mod
    And for all the Dev's that made all this possible. We cannot thank you enough.

First off, this is my first modded rom. So I would appreciate any feedback. Some things need improved, and will be, in the next couple of weeks. But the core 3.2 is unmodified, except for the System UI and Framework-res, to allow button mods and a couple of other things.

What works.... everything that is included. This includes GPS. Initial start took 1.5 minutes to lock on to most sat's for precise loction in Moscow. If you try it from your basement or toilet, well, good luck.

What doesn't work, nothing that I can see.

What's removed:
    Just about everything Acer.
    All games.
    There's still 1 or 2 annoying things that I will take care of soon.
    Apps Installed:
    Other than the usual SU and Busybox...
    AdFree
    Asus Weather
    Bluetooth File Transfer
    CPU Master Free
    File Manager HD
    ES File Explorer
    Hackers Keyboard
    MX Video Player w/codecs
    Polaris Office
    Open VPN
    SDrescan

Language Support:

Cestina, Dansk, Deutsch, English, Spanish, French, Italian, Nederlands, Norsk Bokmal, Polish, Portugese, Suomi, Svenska, Russian, 1 Arabic and 4 Asian (don't ask)

Installation:
    Advise you upgrade your CWM recovery to Thor202ro's latest. So much easier.

1. Wipe User Data
    2. Wipe Cache
    3. Wipe DalviK
    4. Wipe Battery Stats

Note: Optional Formatting.
    If you really want to remove EVERYTHING in Internal Memory, at this point, go to Backup and Restore. Select "Toggle backup and restore of internal storage (/data/media). Enable this setting by selecting it. By default, it is disabled. Then proceed to the formatting steps. This will format the Entire Internal Memory when you proceed.

If you want to save all the things like downloaded files, apps, pdf's etc, then DO NOT enable this toggle, and just proceed to the Format steps.

Select Go Back, Goto Mounts and Storage
    1. Format System
    2. Format Cache
    3. Format Dalvik
    4. Format Flexrom

Select Go Back and select Install from Zip File (for those of you who refuse to update their recovery, select Install zip from SD)

Select Alexandra II r2 A501 .zip

NOTE: you may get an Offset error xxxx. Ignore it. Seems common these days. After installation is complete, Go Back, and Reboot system.

You'll see a small "flash" during the Acer Logo. This is normal, as it is the custom kernel loading. Also, when running for the first time, you will get an "OK" prompt as the "Acer" (cough cough) installer finishes. One of the things I hope to delete in the future.

For Overclocking, use CpuMaster and set your CPU speed. 1504 is what I run the most. Set your governor to "on demand" or "Interactive" for longer battery life. Set to "Apply at Boot". If you don't like CPUMaster, then you are free to uninstall it, and Use SetCpu or PimpMyCpu.

Disclaimer:

You flash this Rom at your own risk. If you follow the instructions exactly, there is no reason why you should have issues installing the Rom. If you feel you are smarter than the instructions, and can save a little time by bypassing some steps, don't come crying. Figure it out.

Titanium Backup users, I don't want to hear it. And this goes for anybody else running 2.3 Gingerbread apps on Honeycomb. It is much better, to download an app fresh. Google loves you.

This is a first release, and of course, all comments are welcome, good or bad.
    DOWNLOAD

What's coming next? I will continue working on the theme, and incorporate some of the newer updates. If I can light a fire in the 501, I will.
    I think this is an excelent rom, great job.

Sent from my A501 using xda premium

Appreciate it! Enjoy!:D
    BATTERY MODS

Ok. Here are some Battery Mods.

If you see a battery mod you would like me to add, send me a link and I will check it out and include the images in a new mod. I'm definately not a good Photoshop person, but we'll see.

1. All Blue Circle type. Remains Blue until the very end. Download

2. All Blue Circle type, however changes to warning colors at 20% battery Download

3. All Blue Circle only Dots. Download

4. Multi Colored Circle. Download

5. Return to original Alexandra II Rom type. Download

NAV Button Mod

Return to Stock HC 3.2 Nav Buttons Download
    This should not effect Battery Mods.
    Wipe;
    Cache
    Dalvik Cache

You can check the image below to see the Circular Mods. Dotted Circular means just that.... Dotted.

To Install Battery Mod Only:
    1. Download and Copy the zip to your SD card.
    2. Reboot your Tablet into CWM Recovery (Vol- and PWR)
    3. Wipe ONLY the following;
    a. Cache
    b. Dalvik Cache
    c. Battery Stats. (Important to do this)

"go back"

4. Select "Install Zip from SD
    5. Choose the battery mod zip you downloaded, and confirm.

When finished, re-boot the tablet. Note that it will take a minute or 2 to finish re-booting.

WARNING: These Battery and Button Mod's are for the A501_4.027.15_COM_GEN1 base Rom ONLY. It is possible they will work on other roms with the same base Rom, but I will not promise this.
    Damn, so what is new and unusual??:confused:

Got tired of running the really cooked ones, getting display freezes and such (on internal 3g), so decided to go for a more stock internal workings.

Way too many patches need to be added sometimes on the really "cooked" ones. And a lot of people are not comfortable with doing a whole lot of flashes, or removing things they really don't feel comfortable with.

This is just an alternative.
    @Moscow Desire
    Thank you for this very nice rom, it's definitely a keeper for my A501!

I do have a little request :p
    Could you please insert the compilation date into your filename, this would make it much easier to see if the current download is an update compared to the one we downloaded a few days ago..

No Problem. Always willing to please! And thanks for your comments!!

If I do anything, I'll make a post of it, put it in the change log, and change revision number.

Had to do things fast due to a couple of kernel issues in the beginning ;)

Hopefully, if I don't freeze to death, I'll push an update in about 2 weeks or so.