T Mobile Update To 4.4.2 with S-OFF?

Search This thread

b1969

Oct 28, 2012
My phone right now is unlocked and with s-off. I was thinking I could relock the bootloader and run RUU to go back to complete stock (with S-OFF). My question is can I install the tmo update with S-OFF? Has anyone done this before? Or do I have to go back to S-ON in order to install the update?

I know that rumrunner does not work with HBOOT 1.56.

Any help would greatly be appreciated, thank you.

mb_guy

Sep 6, 2008
Winnipeg
My phone right now is unlocked and with s-off. I was thinking I could relock the bootloader and run RUU to go back to complete stock (with S-OFF). My question is can I install the tmo update with S-OFF? Has anyone done this before? Or do I have to go back to S-ON in order to install the update?

don't think S-OFF or unlocked matters, just stock rom and recovery required

Fuzi0719

Jul 15, 2009
Palm Springs, CA

My phone is unlocked/S-OFF. On the previous OTA updates, all I had to do was reflash the stock recovery and the updates proceeded normally, installed just fine. On this new OTA update to 4.4.2, however, that didn't work. I tried relocking the bootloader, flashed the stock recovery... nothing worked (it would get the red slash during the recovery part of the OTA update). Evidently, T-Mobile/HTC are now much more picky about modified devices.

So, to get the OTA to work, I had to run the last RUU from T-Mobile. That, of course, wiped my phone clean, but installed a locked fresh 4.3.1 ROM (still S-OFF). Then the OTA update ran perfectly, resulting in the 4.4.2 OS installed. Then I unlocked it, flashed TWRP recovery and rooted it. It's working beautifully.

Reactions: inspron

b1969

Oct 28, 2012
My phone is unlocked/S-OFF. On the previous OTA updates, all I had to do was reflash the stock recovery and the updates proceeded normally, installed just fine. On this new OTA update to 4.4.2, however, that didn't work. I tried relocking the bootloader, flashed the stock recovery... nothing worked (it would get the red slash during the recovery part of the OTA update). Evidently, T-Mobile/HTC are now much more picky about modified devices.

So, to get the OTA to work, I had to run the last RUU from T-Mobile. That, of course, wiped my phone clean, but installed a locked fresh 4.3.1 ROM (still S-OFF). Then the OTA update ran perfectly, resulting in the 4.4.2 OS installed. Then I unlocked it, flashed TWRP recovery and rooted it. It's working beautifully.

Thank you for the information.

Mikey

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Wheaton, Il
Google Pixel Fold

4.3.1???
Im only on 4.3 and cant update. Ex:3.24.531.3
no-root, Unlocked and s-off only

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.