How to avoid bricking your device.

Search This thread

raze_da_noize

Feb 3, 2014
Hey people, I am slightly new to xda developers but I am an experienced rooted user. So I saw many people who are inexperienced at rooting their phones brick their phones very easily. Yes I did notice a few "how to avoid bricking your phone" threads but they are quite old. Since the new versions of updates and apps are rolling out, I thought it might be a good time to post a newer thread.

Ways to avoid bricking your device.

* When flashing a custom rom or kernel, ALWAYS use the kernel or rom that is for your device and your device only.
I realized that online it does not say anything about always flashing the custom rom or device that is for your device only. Many users are out there who brick their phones by flashing the wrong rom or kernel. ( I myself have once bricked my phone like this).

*Avoid apps that can brick your device.
Many people brick their phones like this because once you have a rooted device, you want to try out all the cool root apps. Also please people name some apps that will brick your device as well.
*** APPS THAT CAN BRICK YOUR DEVICE***
Fonts installer(root), Chain fire 3D when installed on AOS 4.0 and above, switchme when installed on a custom rom, and so on. (I have more apps I could list but I am sure people out there will post it). The basic idea is read the comments about the app and see if the app is safe. Many people just get the apps online without researching and end up bricking their phones. EDIT: Any type of font installer app that is for rooted phones only have a high chance of bricking your device. One tap root apps can give a virus to your device without knowing and have chances that it will brick. After all, it is an application that roots your device, there is always a catch. z4 root for example will give you a virus and brick your device. Rom manager *can* brick your device if you try to flash a custom recovery. For Rom manager, there are users who have successfully flashed a custom recovery and users who have bricked their phones. There is definitely a risk, so I recommend flashing a custom recovery on a safer application like goo manager. Goo manager will be safe if you READ the instruction, if you do not, you will be carrying a brick in your pocket.

*When flashing/installing or in a rooting progress be patient
When flashing or rooting be patient. Do not unplug or turn off the device when in a rooting or flashing progress because that will brick the device, and I am not talking about boot loop/soft brick. Im talking about hard brick, a black screen no sign of life brick. (Once bricked my phone like that lol).

*Research and follow instructions.
Many people tend to skip the reading and researching and do it by their feeling. Then what happens? They carry around a brick in their pocket.
Research about your phone and learn it. All I got to say for this one is, READ READ AND READ.

Anyways everyone that is all I got to say, I have more things but they are minor and someone will definitely post it. Please everyone take the time to comment your thoughts and ideas on how to avoid bricking your device. I hope many users found this helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssurikoii

Adameur

Feb 3, 2021
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
Hey people, I am slightly new to xda developers but I am an experienced rooted user. So I saw many people who are inexperienced at rooting their phones brick their phones very easily. Yes I did notice a few "how to avoid bricking your phone" threads but they are quite old. Since the new versions of updates and apps are rolling out, I thought it might be a good time to post a newer thread.

* When flashing a custom rom or kernel, ALWAYS use the kernel or rom that is for your device and your device only.
I realized that online it does not say anything about always flashing the custom rom or device that is for your device only. Many users are out there who brick their phones by flashing the wrong rom or kernel. ( I myself have once bricked my phone like this).

Many people brick their phones like this because once you have a rooted device, you want to try out all the cool root apps. Also please people name some apps that will brick your device as well.
Fonts installer(root), Chain fire 3D when installed on AOS 4.0 and above, switchme when installed on a custom rom, and so on. (I have more apps I could list but I am sure people out there will post it). The basic idea is read the comments about the app and see if the app is safe. Many people just get the apps online without researching and end up bricking their phones. EDIT: Any type of font installer app that is for rooted phones only have a high chance of bricking your device. One tap root apps can give a virus to your device without knowing and have chances that it will brick. After all, it is an application that roots your device, there is always a catch. z4 root for example will give you a virus and brick your device. Rom manager *can* brick your device if you try to flash a custom recovery. For Rom manager, there are users who have successfully flashed a custom recovery and users who have bricked their phones. There is definitely a risk, so I recommend flashing a custom recovery on a safer application like goo manager. Goo manager will be safe if you READ the instruction, if you do not, you will be carrying a brick in your pocket.

When flashing or rooting be patient. Do not unplug or turn off the device when in a rooting or flashing progress because that will brick the device, and I am not talking about boot loop/soft brick. Im talking about hard brick, a black screen no sign of life brick. (Once bricked my phone like that lol).

Many people tend to skip the reading and researching and do it by their feeling. Then what happens? They carry around a brick in their pocket.
Research about your phone and learn it. All I got to say for this one is, READ READ AND READ.

Anyways everyone that is all I got to say, I have more things but they are minor and someone will definitely post it. Please everyone take the time to comment your thoughts and ideas on how to avoid bricking your device. I hope many users found this helpful.
I bricked my poco X3 NFC by installing a recovery image by *flashify* app
p.s: i had root access and i already have TWRP, but the reason i wanted to switch to orange fox it's because i haven't access to the whole storage on TWRP recovery so i wanted to install Orange Fox to try it out, and i was too lazy to install it by PC, and i said to myself , why not installing it by the phone it self! After installing it on *Flashify* it asks to reboot, after that i got a bootloop and i don't even know if it's installed .😖🙂 Now the phone it's returned to the shop so it can be fixed...
But altough it's happened, i'm planning to flash more custom rom, ad try the cool Kernel s cause it's fun.

Reactions: ssurikoii

nihitthakkar

Jan 25, 2021
USA
Bricking is a condition when a device is usually interrupted in an attempt to update the device. There can be 6 steps to avoid bricking
(1) custom recovery,
(2) know ADB and Fastboot commands;
(3) keep a factory image on your phone;
(4) keep a Nandroid backup on your phone;
(5) keep copies of both backups on a computer;
(6) if you can't replace your battery, know how to hard reset your phone.

LorD IchigO

May 13, 2021
Xiaomi Poco F1
p.s: i had root access and i already have TWRP, but the reason i wanted to switch to orange fox it's because i haven't access to the whole storage on TWRP recovery so i wanted to install Orange Fox to try it out, and i was too lazy to install it by PC, and i said to myself , why not installing it by the phone it self! After installing it on *Flashify* it asks to reboot, after that i got a bootloop and i don't even know if it's installed .😖🙂 Now the phone it's returned to the shop so it can be fixed...
But altough it's happened, i'm planning to flash more custom rom, ad try the cool Kernel s cause it's fun.
U gave ur phone in shop what did they said?

kingozilla

Account currently disabled
Sep 12, 2020
Usa
Honestly one of the most laughable things imo is to return your phone to the shop or any technical expert shop.
Guys what you want the shop to do for you? Factory Reset? Don't think them as a real experienced ones, they just know the basics. Any any one who have an experience of installing custom ROMs or TWRP & Rooting, is better than most of the shop repairs.
They are just experiencers for the AVERAGE people. I maybe even when I sometimes go to the shop to fix my devices, I tell the employee what to do, because they hardly know about their tools.
IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SPEND A LOT OF TIME, DON'T ROOT. Basic Logic, Root isn't for normal users and wont give you a huge advantages. Root is ONLY for fun and amusing, there are no real need of Root. So if you're too lazy to search for solution and trying many methods of solving your problem, and you just hurry to fix your device. DON'T ROOT IT.

anonymous_0014

Jan 20, 2024

I can't find any custom rom for my redmi a1+ so can I install rom made for similar phone redmi 6a almost have all artitechture of device same
What major difference was with fingerprint scanner that's is absent in 6a unlike in a1 plus

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Those members posted in 2016! So don't expect a reply... Flashify app hasn't been updated since 2015...be ware.