micro SDXC 64GB

Search This thread

premier69

Jan 23, 2008
Kristianstad
I'm wondering if the SanDisk Ultra SDXC 64GB would work in the HTC magic?

If it works, what file system is to be used? exFat doesn't work right? So Will I have to, like use partition magic to force a 64gb fat32 partition?

I have no experience with android 2.1 or any version for that matter, still awaiting delivery of my first android phone. The HTC Magic (unbranded, naturally)

Binary100100

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 6, 2008
Detroit, Mi

If it works, what file system is to be used? exFat doesn't work right? So Will I have to, like use partition magic to force a 64gb fat32 partition?

I have no experience with android 2.1 or any version for that matter, still awaiting delivery of my first android phone. The HTC Magic (unbranded, naturally)

My question... is who in the hell would want to put a $350+ card in a $200 cell phone. :rolleyes:

Binary100100

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 6, 2008
Detroit, Mi
Me obviously.

and the reason is so i can switch from using the card in my digital camera, my HTC shift and the android phone. and not to have to keep switching multiple cards.. really a lot of reasons.

Well it sounds like someone here has money to burn. :p

In theory it should work... however I haven't heard of anyone using one before so I cannot say for certain. Give it a try and let us know either way.

narutofma

May 26, 2008
Do Not bother getting it. A friend of mine working for FCC center. I snagged one to try out. Man it does not work with any format. Seems like this is hardware of the phone that can not handle it. Friend got technician to look at it, they are all confused why not.
All newer phone from Nexus One, will all takes in the card and read and writes it. But just slow.

Plus $350 is a rip off. The MSRP price for a 64GB SDXC is on $210 to authorized premier resellers.

premier69

Jan 23, 2008
Kristianstad
Do Not bother getting it. A friend of mine working for FCC center. I snagged one to try out. Man it does not work with any format. Seems like this is hardware of the phone that can not handle it. Friend got technician to look at it, they are all confused why not.
All newer phone from Nexus One, will all takes in the card and read and writes it. But just slow.

Plus $350 is a rip off. The MSRP price for a 64GB SDXC is on $210 to authorized premier resellers.

Thanks, of what I understand from your message.

premier69

Jan 23, 2008
Kristianstad
so wait, sdxc actually works with android on newer phones like the nexus one?

A few of the phone specs I've seen has said up to 32gb but from my experience they're pretty unreliable at updating those figures as newer and bigger cards get released, that's why I started this thread asking for confirmation.

I'm going to sell off my HTC MAGIC vodafone branded and buy , either samsung galaxy 9000 or the new HTC Desire HD (european EVO4G). I just can't decide yet.

Not all new phones are ready for sdxc memory cards. They are both hardware and software prerequisite.

I would do some research on what phone u want to get. But at same time galaxy s sux, sdxc. Do not work with the card.
Warning spoiler : galaxy s pro will be compatible with sdxc. The phone will only be exclusive in Korea.

sent from myTouch 3g 1.2 using XDA app

riahc3

Oct 28, 2009
It wont work because (AFAIK) Android doesnt contain drivers for SDXC. If you insert a SDXC card into your Android device, it will problably just treat it as a SDHC card.

wizzbang3

Nov 18, 2010

That's a regular SD c ard, not a micro format, there are no known 64gb micro SDXC cards in existence. Also a 32gb, regular SDHC card is still 65$ US - and that's class 4, I can't begin to imagine how much a 64gb SDXC is going to cost.
Also how reliable will it be, there's limits to this stuff when managing the size of flash chips.

Rred

Oct 2, 2010
Now that the cards are proven to exist
And ignoring the question of cost, which is not a technical concern
There are a few objective questions that might merit answers, such as:

1-Are the micro-SDHC and micro-SDXC physical formats, the card sizes and contacts, the same or not? Web posts say that they are and are not, apparently half of those posts are in error and it seems that if the sdxc cards are working in sdhc phones--they are?

2-Is a specific file system driver, in the phone's OS distribution, needed? If so, what?

3-Is a specific file system format of the sdxc card itself required? If so, what? (Presumably requiring a format on a computer that provides for that option if the phone doesn't.)

And then of course, a list of phones actually known and confirmed to work with the precious beasts.

Personally, yes, I think 64GB on the removeable card is ridiculous. But then again, it will cost less than an iPod Classic and it will let me take an extensive music collection "everywhere". Which my own 32GB card won't right now.

There's a reason the iPhone4S has a 64GB memory option now. For some of us, the extra memory will be gladly put to good and economical use. If our phones support it.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
At present no phone fully supports microsdxc, even if it reads the card, you wont get the full size or speed from a phone, even the fastest phone on the market cannot take full advantage of the speed of present card, and most phones accepts microsdhc at class 2-10, but you only get low transfer rate, I have the new 16GB uhs1 microsdhc from both toshiba (class 10) and sandisk (class 6), both have verys low speed just like that of class 2-4 when used in mobile phones, so uhs 1 microsdhc is out of the question in mobile phone.

I also seen available the sandisk 64GB microsdxc available in hong kong, not really expensive when compared to the USA, it's approximate USD150, will get one next month to try out.

Last edited:

Rred

Oct 2, 2010
That's way better than the US prices. Please DO let us know how it works out.

Personally, I don't care about not having full xc speed, etc., I'd be happy just to double the storage capacity. Sandisk US has no interest in the matter, all they know is that Moto "only supports" 32GB. Which they really don't understand means only that no one has tested 64GB sdxc in the phone, so no one has anything to say about it.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
That's way better than the US prices. Please DO let us know how it works out.

Personally, I don't care about not having full xc speed, etc., I'd be happy just to double the storage capacity. Sandisk US has no interest in the matter, all they know is that Moto "only supports" 32GB. Which they really don't understand means only that no one has tested 64GB sdxc in the phone, so no one has anything to say about it.

the guy in post 15 has tried it on the samsung.

wazzle638

Apr 11, 2012
hi kms108, I see you own an Xperia Ray. Did you try the 64gb sd in the Ray? Can you share with us if it works or not? While Googling I only find people speculating that since it works on the Play, it should work on the Ray too, but I hope you can confirm this for real..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not all new phones are ready for sdxc memory cards. They are both hardware and software prerequisite.

What he said. You can't just pop an SDXC card on an SDHC-compatible device. It's like saying you're wearing size 14 shoes because your size 11 foot fits inside those shoes.
    I decided to bet on it, and bought the 64GB microSDXC, class 6, from Sandisk, and I can confirm that it works on the Xperia Ray. I know this is an HTC sub-forum, but since this answers a question I raised here, I thought I might post the answer here as well.

I had to format the sdcard to FAT32 format, I guess Android doesn't read exFat. The formatting had to be done on my computer, I didn't find an option for formatting in Android.