Wireless charging probkems

Search This thread

famouscollin

Jul 30, 2012
Just wanted to chime in, I think I've only used my usb cord twice to charge my phone. and I've had it since release, I us a QI enabled charger, and it works with my otterbox, quite spendy I must say its 'ideal' a japanese brand, but has 6+/- mm charging distance, id say the problem some people are having is look into the charge distance on your charging device. If its lower and your using any kind of case that could be the issue.. and as for it heating up and WARPING the back cover you have kernel or charging problem my phone has charged and ran ice cold since day one

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

d3fiance

Oct 3, 2013
I was having an issue at first with the fat boy as well. Phone heating up and not charging, or just cycling through charging/not charging. What stopped all the issues for me is making sure the charging pad is sitting at the top of the pillow. So I just opened the pillow and pushed the charging pad against the top of the pillow to make sure it's sitting flat and flush. No issues after a year. Just throwing my experience out there, because I was getting aggravated with it as well.

Jaggar345

May 24, 2012
Amston
What kind of wireless charger do yall recommend I'm thinking about investing into one.

Sent from my DLX using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

thayl0

May 26, 2013
Why did u even waste my on one. Same as a wall charger

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Uzephi

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
Why did u even waste my on one. Same as a wall charger

No it isn't. Imagine a year or two plugging and unplugging your phone into a charger. That use will wear out the charging port. With wireless charging, the port doesn't get used as often thus prolonging the life of the port.

If you plug your phone in at night, that is 365(6 for leap years) more plug ins on your port rather than just placing it on the wireless pad. Sometimes more than that, if you get an email text or call after you plug it in and need to grab it off the charger and plug it back in.

Sent from my dlx using xda app-developers app

thayl0

May 26, 2013
No it isn't. Imagine a year or two plugging and unplugging your phone into a charger. That use will wear out the charging port. With wireless charging, the port doesn't get used as often thus prolonging the life of the port.

If you plug your phone in at night, that is 365(6 for leap years) more plug ins on your port rather than just placing it on the wireless pad. Sometimes more than that, if you get an email text or call after you plug it in and need to grab it off the charger and plug it back in.

Still pointless and a waste of money. It would be better if they invented to to where the phone doesn't half to seat on the charger

Uzephi

Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
Still pointless and a waste of money. It would be better if they invented to to where the phone doesn't half to seat on the charger

How is it pointless? Some people do own their devices longer than a year. 8 months after owning my Rezound, the charging port wore down, now I have to wiggle it a certain way for it to charge. Wireless charging prevents the port from wearing out.

JHouse

Jan 23, 2014
My HTC just quit charging too. It's my fourth phone because I seem to drop them a lot. So it is relatively new , maybe a few months old. I use the Energizer charger.

Jaggar345

May 24, 2012
Amston
My HTC just quit charging too. It's my fourth phone because I seem to drop them a lot. So it is relatively new , maybe a few months old. I use the Energizer charger.

Mine is over a year old and I have had zero issues with it. I finally decided to invest in a wireless charger and got the Nokia dt-900 from AT&T for 25$ so far I haven't had any issues with it at all. It doesn't get very warm at all and charges it up all the way. Have you tried another charger or tested another device on your charger to ensure its not the charger? Also are you on a custom rom that could be causing the issue?

JHouse

Jan 23, 2014
Mine is over a year old and I have had zero issues with it. I finally decided to invest in a wireless charger and got the Nokia dt-900 from AT&T for 25$ so far I haven't had any issues with it at all. It doesn't get very warm at all and charges it up all the way. Have you tried another charger or tested another device on your charger to ensure its not the charger? Also are you on a custom rom that could be causing the issue?

My Saga is over. I took the phone back for a warranty claim, and they sent me an LG G2 by mistake. They said the exchange shipping would cost more than the phone so they let me keep it. But I did have to drive to the Verizon store to get a new Sim card, because they said that the LG Sim card was more advanced.

Jaggar345

May 24, 2012
Amston
My Saga is over. I took the phone back for a warranty claim, and they sent me an LG G2 by mistake. They said the exchange shipping would cost more than the phone so they let me keep it. But I did have to drive to the Verizon store to get a new Sim card, because they said that the LG Sim card was more advanced.

Wow you got lucky. Good luck with your new device.

Bartikus

Aug 8, 2012
Was going to post my frustrations as well, then I saw this. I have had two fatboys, one for work, one for home, since I got the phone maybe a month after launch. I love them, they're so convenient. I just noticed last night that after my phone was on the fatboy for a few hours, it had actually discharged since I put it down. Tried it on my other fatboy today at work and it's charging, but the phone is getting extremely hot. I know from months of use with the two wireless chargers that it doesn't get that hot. In fact, it is getting so hot I can't touch it, let alone put it in my pocket. I'm now curious how hot it is getting, if it got hot enough to mess up my home charger, and whether its dangerous to use my wireless charger. I'm expecting to wake up one day with a massive burn mark where the internal battery used to be.

Finerva

Feb 19, 2014
Droid DNA Ran Over by Truck

My wireless charging worked fine until a truck ran over it and smashed it down into the snow really deep.

There was zero physical damage to the phone, it looks brand new, but ever since that day it won't wirelessly charge.

I've had it for over a year, so I am going to try replacing the OTA with a ROM and see if I can get some better performance out of her, but I think the wireless hardware must be really sensitive.

Jaggar345

May 24, 2012
Amston
My wireless charging worked fine until a truck ran over it and smashed it down into the snow really deep.

There was zero physical damage to the phone, it looks brand new, but ever since that day it won't wirelessly charge.

I've had it for over a year, so I am going to try replacing the OTA with a ROM and see if I can get some better performance out of her, but I think the wireless hardware must be really sensitive.

Is that a joke? I'm pretty sure of your phone got ran over by a truck it would be done functioning all together. Unless you had some heavy duty case protecting it but I doubt any case can prevent damage when a truck runs a phone over.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Uzephi

Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
Is that a joke? I'm pretty sure of your phone got ran over by a truck it would be done functioning all together. Unless you had some heavy duty case protecting it but I doubt any case can prevent damage when a truck runs a phone over.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

These DNAs are pretty durable. If you read him right. It was in snow, meaning it probably didn't have much weight on the phone at all.

My DNA got dropped in a pool of water during my auto accident and it still functions fine. It is amazing what these things can go through.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New Kid on the Block :)

I've only ever had one possible problem with my Nokia wireless charger. I say possible problem because I'm not sure if it was actually a charger issue or my own stupidity. A few days ago, an hour after i had taken my phone of the charger, i looked at my phone and noticed it was almost dead. For some reason the phone hadn't been charged over night. I could swear it was on the charger, but i can't day for sure. So it could have been my fault.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA running CyanogenMod 10.1

Mine had slipping problems after cleaning, applying significant pressure, etc until I replaced it. The replacement unit has been much better, with no real problems. Some Orbs are definitely better than others when it comes to adherence, and if you're having an issue get it replaced.

Here's my story:
    I got the Nokia DT-900 few months back (Google's orb is not available in India) and had a tough time with my Nexus4, read so many forums on xda, androidcentral and elsewhere to find the right solution. Later realized that Nexus4 isn't fully Qi compatible. Still, from the forums I knew everyfrickinbody has some issue or the other, whether with the Nexus4 or any other Qi phone (like the Nokia Lumia 920, HTC droid, etc.).

Now my old guy, with a couple of other old ones have this high freq inductor/transformer making workshop and I told them I want us to make a wireless charger, and do it right! They said we ain't got the money - ha! I said I don't need no money, I just need ur tech and tools..ur brains and grains! With a grin, it was okay'd And 2 months in, we've got the Qi compatible electronics ready and tested!! Now we just gotta design a good form. We even have a name - Qitah (say cheetah)...hehe, yeah.
    Here's are the pain points we've addressed uptil now:
    a) Phone Alignment - it's a 3coil configuration that allows free positioning. After all, what's the point of a wireless charger if you still gotta put in effort for the phone to charge
    b) Remembering to charge - we realized while brainstorming that the major pain point is not of plugging in a wire with your wall charger..in fact it's remembering to charge your phone daily. Even if I forget to charge once a week, it's kinda disastrous. We are really working hard and smart to tackle this
    c) Looks - Apart from the orb, all the other solutions (mostly pads) are uhhgly!! And the orb is so painful with 'sticky' issues. Hey, if the Qitah is to sit on your office/home desk, it better look so frockin awesome yet unintrusive that you feel great about it!
    d) Travel/Incline - it's pretty sad that we either have pads or inclines in the market. We are hell bent on coming up with a travel friendly design to get rid of this simple pain point.

Here's where I need all your help..tell us your pain points! tweet "@projecQitah", post on facebook - "projectQitah" and let us know what you want it to be like. I'll be following up on all suggestions/criticisms.
    Cheers!
    What kind of wireless charger do yall recommend I'm thinking about investing into one.

Sent from my DLX using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I've had great luck with the Nokia 900. AT&T has had it on sale for $25 for about a month now:
    http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/accessories/chargers/sku6290260.html#fbid=YbSQonZHfrD