Unbearable Browser Froyo ATT 3G Image Compression [FIXED]

Search This thread

ArcanaXVIII

Apr 28, 2010
Paris
Changing this and restarting the connection does nothing.

Fixed it!
Clearing the Proxy and Port lines of the APN settings did the trick. Pages load in their full glory now.
Thank goodness :D

Thank you very much Mutantblack for your settings and all others for confirming this issue.
I will now test MMS and a few other settings to see if all else is fixed.

Always glad to help. ^^

attn1

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 18, 2010
yup, I can confirm. Makes sense, actually, since this ROM was meant for T-Mobile units that don't support ATT 3g. My guess is that the APN was modified to make edge bearable with a flash browser enabled. Good find.

Last edited:

aloudermilk

Jan 19, 2010
I tried and still have problem

I applied all of the settings changes listed:
Changed APN Proxy,APN Port, and APN Type to not set.

This did not resolve problem for me.

Scrtcwlvl

Aug 4, 2008
I applied all of the settings changes listed:
Changed APN Proxy,APN Port, and APN Type to not set.

This did not resolve problem for me.
Uh oh...
Copy down your APN settings here exactly (Like I did, a page back) to see if we can see what the issue is.

You sure you cleared your browsers Cache before trying to load the page again?

mutantblack

Sep 22, 2006
Tornados City
Changing this and restarting the connection does nothing.

Fixed it!
Clearing the Proxy and Port lines of the APN settings did the trick. Pages load in their full glory now.
Thank goodness :D

Thank you very much Mutantblack for your settings and all others for confirming this issue.
I will now test MMS and a few other settings to see if all else is fixed.

glad to help. that was the very first time I actually went in and look up the apn setting. lol

mistadman

Nov 30, 2006
Good find and fix!!

Thanks @Scrtcwlvl! I noticed this issue on a couple of sites, but thought it was a site issue. I guess I have been too busy playing with Flash to care! ;-)

Thanks again!!

Scrtcwlvl

Aug 4, 2008
Has anyone else noticed an increased number of connection time outs and dead connections? increase as in any at all compared to none?
Not sure if these are related, but possibly taking us off the ATT proxy server may have other less desirable effects.
anyone else? I notice this primarily with gtalk but it has happened in the browser too

G

GuestK0050

I've been playing with this fix. Once I do this, kill all applications and restart Speedtest.net, it completely destroys my upload speed.

It's weird that having the proxy set makes uploads 10 times faster.

At least now I know what was causing my sucky uploads.

So I can choose slow upload, or crappy compressed pictures.

I love AT&T.

Scrtcwlvl

Aug 4, 2008
I have noticed certainly a greater fluctuation of download speeds since the proxy kill, but my upload has been consistently between 1Mb/s and 2Mb/s.

I've personally stopped using a task manager after reading further into why it doesn't really make a difference and I've not noticed any performance changes. (Compared to always killing everything) other than programs that I ran recently open instantly because they are still open.
(Mileage may vary however, as running your browser with Flash ties down more system resources when minimized.)

Other than the actual connection timeout I experienced, my upload has been fine, just download has been all over the map.
Sometimes as low as 586Kb/s, others as high as 3.5Mb/s. Not just during high hours, but at all hours of the night.