[12/29] Restore for MJ5 --Doesn't trip Knox and optionally provides root--

Search This thread

bailey2408

Aug 4, 2012
What do u mean of hemdall wouldnt install?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

hemdall itself installed. when I installed drivers through zadiq it said successful. added the two necessary files in hemdall and when i clicked start it gained access to device and after about 10 seconds it released the phone and didnt install anything. don't understand since I can use odin so easily. You know how to get root installed by chance? im right at step 10 mi9 with mj5 firmware (no root) and all is working good. just ready to root so i can use your stuff for custom roms

evilpotatoman

hemdall itself installed. when I installed drivers through zadiq it said successful. added the two necessary files in hemdall and when i clicked start it gained access to device and after about 10 seconds it released the phone and didnt install anything. don't understand since I can use odin so easily. You know how to get root installed by chance? im right at step 10 mi9 with mj5 firmware (no root) and all is working good. just ready to root so i can use your stuff for custom roms

If you used Designgears system.img, you won't be able to root, you'll run into a corrupt ext4 inode and hit a kernel panic. The img I uploaded is modified and avoids that issue. I also slightly changed the way that the root_de_la_vega exploit works. (Runs a bit sooner in the boot process)

When using heimdall and getting the error you described earlier (same thing happens to me sometimes), try;

1 - unplug and re-plug the USB cord into your phone

-If that doesn't work-

2 - plug the USB cord into a different port, reinstall the driver using zadiq, and click start once more.

Last edited:

bailey2408

Aug 4, 2012
I just restored mine and it worked perfectly. Thanks evilpotatoman

figured it would for you of cours:laugh: but im stuck like chuck... 2 different computers (both windows 7) 2 different usb cords (stock and not stock) and about 7 different usb ports yet still hemdall refuses to work with my phone. I'm at wits end. least i havent tripped knox and everything shows official. is there anyway to take your system.img and make a .tar file? i'm sure probably not but thought i'd ask. thanks again guys for tyring to get me through this. or do you think command line *might* work for me- if so ive done alot of looking and not sure which commands to use. guess i'll just leave it in its bootloop when i take to att store tonight!!!!!!

Last edited:

evilpotatoman

figured it would for you of cours:laugh: but im stuck like chuck... 2 different computers (both windows 7) 2 different usb cords (stock and not stock) and about 7 different usb ports yet still hemdall refuses to work with my phone. I'm at wits end. least i havent tripped knox and everything shows official. is there anyway to take your system.img and make a .tar file? i'm sure probably not but thought i'd ask. thanks again guys for tyring to get me through this. or do you think command line *might* work for me- if so ive done alot of looking and not sure which commands to use. guess i'll just leave it in its bootloop when i take to att store tonight!!!!!!

Quick question - 64 or 32 bit windows?

seedoubleyou

Jul 4, 2009
of course you tease me with a glimmer of hope as im gonna be away from computer for about 5 hours now!!! will definately give that a whirl soon as i get home and will post if it works..:highfive:

I've got a "clean" MJ5 install, rooted, now unrooted, but with "custom" status still. Is this the only way currently without a legit Odin image to get rid of the Custom status by stopping pre-root? Or does that still leave me stuck at 'custom.' The walk-through also makes it sound like it ends up a MJ5/MI9 hybrid at that point, which sounds dirtier than where i'm at now. I'd like to get back to stock unrooted without tripping anything at all.

evilpotatoman

I've got a "clean" MJ5 install, rooted, now unrooted, but with "custom" status still. Is this the only way currently without a legit Odin image to get rid of the Custom status by stopping pre-root? Or does that still leave me stuck at 'custom.' The walk-through also makes it sound like it ends up a MJ5/MI9 hybrid at that point, which sounds dirtier than where i'm at now. I'd like to get back to stock unrooted without tripping anything at all.

If you stop prior to rooting, that will leave you with MJ5 Firmware and a MI9 system. The lock screen and custom status would be removed, however you would not be able to update to MJ5 via the normal OTA.

I believe you could run this file directly after the sec_csc.zip file. This should get you to %99.99 stock MJ5. (My mods to the MI9_fix.img.ext4 would still be present)

I'm sure I could whip up a stock MI9 image with no Root De La Vega which you could use to make your note 100% stock MJ5 after patching, (with no possibilities of rooting ;)) Would you be interested in such an image?

seedoubleyou

Jul 4, 2009
If you stop prior to rooting, that will leave you with MJ5 Firmware and a MI9 system. The lock screen and custom status would be removed, however you would not be able to update to MJ5 via the normal OTA.

I believe you could run this file directly after the sec_csc.zip file. This should get you to %99.99 stock MJ5. (My mods to the MI9_fix.img.ext4 would still be present)

I'm sure I could whip up a stock MI9 image with no Root De La Vega which you could use to make your note 100% stock MJ5 after patching, (with no possibilities of rooting ;)) Would you be interested in such an image?

Yeah, my concern is that as it is now, I think I can still get any future OTA updates since I don't believe Knox is tripped at this point. My employer is forcing MobileIron down our throat and I'd like to get back to "stock" as possible. What exactly trips the "custom" status? I'm wondering if AdAway residue is what's tripped it. Unfortunately a factory reset didn't fix it. :(

I guess my best bet is waiting for something out of Sammobile.

evilpotatoman

Yeah, my concern is that as it is now, I think I can still get any future OTA updates since I don't believe Knox is tripped at this point. My employer is forcing MobileIron down our throat and I'd like to get back to "stock" as possible. What exactly trips the "custom" status? I'm wondering if AdAway residue is what's tripped it. Unfortunately a factory reset didn't fix it. :(

I guess my best bet is waiting for something out of Sammobile.

sysscope trips the custom flag when it detects the folder path /system/bin/.ext (which is created during su installation)

Reactions: seedoubleyou

seedoubleyou

Jul 4, 2009
sysscope trips the custom flag when it detects the folder path /system/bin/.ext (which is created during su installation)

That's interesting then since I did the SuperSu un-root uninstall and I don't see that anything in /system/bin called .ext (and yes I enabled hidden files in ES).

I wonder if there's some way to re-set it back. Again though, I think Knox is doing its job and I can still check for OTA updates without receiving a 'system modified' warning. Oh well, i'll keep an eye out for a legit Odin image to reflash. Thank you all for your wisdom and my apologies for thread-jacking.

EDIT: I was just thinking about this some more, and I had originally tried to set it back by doing a Factory reset. Because SuperSu remained before and after that, I'm thinking that was when it was tripped. Now that i've done a full SuperSu uninstall un-root, I'm wondering if *another* factory reset would take care of it. Hrm...

Last edited:

evilpotatoman

That's interesting then since I did the SuperSu un-root uninstall and I don't see that anything in /system/bin call .ext (and yes I enabled hidden files in ES).

I wonder if there's some way to re-set it back. Again though, I think Knox is doing its job and I can still check for OTA updates without receiving a 'system modified' warning. Oh well, i'll keep an eye out for a legit Odin image to reflash. Thank you all for your wisdom and my apologies for thread-jacking.

It's a one - time trip. I don't think it ever checks to see if that folder is gone. I know if I were coding that check, and detected a .ext folder at one point, it wouldn't make sense to set the flag back to official:angel:

mikeyhim

Dec 9, 2013
I wonder if I flash this MI9 on my rooted MJ5 now, the regionlock away works again

Sent from my IM-A870K using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

ahmarchi

Aug 20, 2008
Greensboro
Quick question. This does not trip knox correct. And 2, after restoring mj5 to stock does it complete wipe the phone as if it's a new Odin flash?

Last edited:

wetard@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2013
Quick question. This does not trip knox correct. And 2, after restoring mj5 to stock does it complete wipe the phone as if it's a new Odin flash?

I performed the procedure and it did not trip the knox flag. As for wiping the phone i believe this will occur by design after performing the update from the external SD card in recovery mode.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update:
    After repeatedly, and unsuccessfully, attempting to take total ownership of my phone, I've switched to T-Mobile and will no longer maintain this thread. Thanks to those great many donors who've contributed to support this device and my effort, and best of luck to those who still have the drive to support this device.
    A Special Thanks to the Following Donors:
    @acdcflame
    @lilhacker
    @JAKISTER
    @royal1262
    ---UPDATE---
    If this is your first time recovering to MJ5, please follow all steps.

If you've already ran through this method successfully once, you can start at step 5

**Thanks to:
    147aaron - OTA update
    Designgears - RDLV
    A.S._id - MJ5 Firmware
    drakeymcmb - kn0x0ut support / mirror

1) Download and install Heimdall from here for windows. You'll need this and this to avoid missing .dll file errors

2) Download the following files;Put everything except for the system.img on your external SD card

3) Download and install the MJ5 partions. Use Odin to flash these files (match the file names with the different upload slots)
    Odin.png

4) Now is the time to use Heimdall.

Reboot into Download Mode once Odin finishes.
    Install the vcredist packages downloaded from step 1.
    unzip the heimdall .zip file to c:/
    go to c:/Heimdall Suite/Drivers and click on zadig.exe
    click the middle menu button to select "Show All Devices"
    heimdall1.png

from the dropdown, select MSM8960
    heimdall2.png

click the "install driver" button.
    heimdall3.png

you should see a success message
    heimdall4.png

5) Navigate on your computer to c:/Heimdall Suite/ and open heimdall-frontend.exe.

IMPORTANT -- Go to the Utilities tab and click the "Detect" button
    Go to the Flash tab on Heimdall, click Browse and select the HLTE_USA_ATT_32G.pit file downloaded from step 3
    Click the 'add' button, then next to 'partition name' select system from the dropdown.
    heimdall5.png

click the Browse button underneath the dropdown, and select the MI9_fix.img.ext4 image you downloaded from step 2.

6) Click Start. ***I usually check the 'No Reboot' box to prepare for booting into recovery
    heimdall6.png

heimdall7.png

7) Heimdall and your Note will report a bad flash at around 95% -- but don't worry -- your system.img got uploaded ;) Reboot directly into recovery mode.

8) Once in recovery, select "Choose update from external" in the recovery, and select the sec_csc.zip you downloaded earlier (did you remember to put that file on your external SD card?). This will install the CSC files and run the preload checkin so you don't FC all over the place

9) IMPORTANT--After flashing the sec_csc, the Note will reboot.
    Try to catch it in time to reboot BACK into recovery
    Once in recovery, select "Choose update from external" in the recovery, and select the 2400258.zip you downloaded earlier.

This will give you a stock MJ5 system. You can choose to stop here if you don't want to root.

10) Extract rldv.zip to the root of your internal sdcard (NOTE **my script removes Knox apps). Reboot, then once SuperSu installs, Reboot again.
    rldv.png

This leaves you with a rooted MJ5 device.

If this helped, please hit thanks or donate :cool:

I'm finishing up a custom rom image for us. We'll be able to flash it without the inventive, but dirty, kn0x0ut script.
    Thanks alot. Now people shouldnt be scared to try out my rom flashing thread. I have good news for you, if you go to my thread, i think i found a fix for all the problems people were having with the international roms. Its the last post in my thread.

Keep up the good work,this is useful

If your already on mj5 and you softbrick, does this still work?
    If your already on mj5 and you softbrick, does this still work?

It does indeed. I was softbricked but recovered using this method.
    Check the OP. Dedicated hosting now -- downloads away!!
    Mirror

I have mirrored the files for all of you on my site http://fs1.androidfilesharing.com.

Here is the link: http://fs1.androidfilesharing.com/43c0495cc4214840

This single zip file contains Heimdall, Odin, the image file and the CP, AP and BL files. You will have to download the Microsoft packages for Heimdall separately as I forgot to add them to the zip. Hope some of you find this helpful