[Q] Rooting Questions

Search This thread

dudeian

Sep 15, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
Hi guys,

I am new to the xda forums and I have been researching about rooting my note 10.1 2014 p600 (WIFI). I have three questions about rooting my device.

1. How would I update my tab with root? I heard you can't get OTA updates.

2. What is the best and safest way to root?

3. How do I get TWRP and is it good?

I haven't installed knox on it yet and I am a beginner to linux and have done research so I know what root is.

Last edited:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Hi guys,

I am new to the xda forums and I have been researching about rooting my note 10.1 2014 p600 (WIFI). I have three questions about rooting my device.

I haven't installed knox on it yet and I am a beginner to linux and have done research so I know what root is.

Ok, First, for the p600 if you root, you will trip Knox which will void your warranty and there is no way around this and this is the only way to root your model (p600), If you don't care about warranty then continue...
1) Download this file https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11938873/CF-Auto-Root-lt03wifi-lt03wifixx-smp600.zip then unzip, you will see this file CF-Auto-Root-lt03wifi-lt03wifixx-smp600.tar.md5.
2) Turn Off Tablet, Hold Volume Down + Power. Follow the instructions on the screen to get to download mode (Odin mode).

Rooting Instructions
1.Flash the CF-Auto-Root-lt03wifi-lt03wifixx-smp600.tar.md5 file with Odin v3.09 (put in AP slot, don't change any other settings, click start)
2.Let it do its trick! boot up then go to play store download and install supersu in order to update supersu to the latest binary.
3. Boot back into Odin mode and flash TWRP version 2.6.3.3 found here https://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/lt03wifiue/
That's all!

Last edited:
Reactions: dudeian

dudeian

Sep 15, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
Ok, First, for the p600 if you root, you will trip Knox which will void your warranty and there is no way around this and this is the only way to root your model (p600), If you don't care about warranty then continue...
1) Download this file then unzip, you will see this file CF-Auto-Root-lt03wifi-lt03wifixx-smp600.tar.md5.
2) Turn Off Tablet, Hold Volume Down + Power. Follow the instructions on the screen to get to download mode (Odin mode).

Rooting Instructions
1.Flash the CF-Auto-Root-lt03wifi-lt03wifixx-smp600.tar.md5 file with Odin v3.09 (put in AP slot, don't change any other settings, click start)
2.Let it do its trick! boot up then go to play store download and install supersu in order to update supersu to the latest binary.
3. Boot back into Odin mode and flash TWRP version 2.6.3.3 found here
That's all!
Thanks! This is great help.

dudeian

Sep 15, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
Knox is just a shortcut to the install link, Does this mean it's not installed or is the shortcut just extras (I don't know how to post screenshots).

Last edited:

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Knox is just a shortcut to the install link, Does this mean it's not installed or is the shortcut just extras (I don't know how to post screenshots).

I don't understand what you are saying???
When I said tripped Knox void warranty is that your device detected that you installed unauthorized software which tripped the knox counter. You can see this by boot into download mode (Odin mode) and you should see a line like this:
Warranty bit: 1 (factory is 0x0)
I hope that what you're asking!

Reactions: dudeian
ok, now i'm getting confused.

my p600 is still on 4.3 jellybean. but from what i read, as long as did not update to kitkat firmware, i can still unroot and reverse the warranty bit bcoz they don't have knox yet. but it'll be too late if i updated to kikat right? btw, i used cf-auto-root.

just weeks ago i rooted my p600 and flashed stock recovery, so now my p600 thinks its stock official firmware, even say so in about device.
i haven't tried unrooting it yet to confirm that i can get warrenty back by flashing back whole stock firmware bcoz i don't want to redo all settings again. but thats the impression i'm geting.

anyhow if i can't really reverse that warranty thing i don't really care anyways. i warranty my stuff better than they do it, and since i think i can still get updates, it bothers me even less if its unreversible. but in the case if i'm right, and i can reverse that warranty bit. maybe one day i'd like to update to kitkat. then what? i'll have to have knox in my system and i can't reverse warranty counter anymore?

is there a way i can update to a custom kikat firmware (one day) and not have knox so i'll still be able to get warranty back?
i kind of realized the dilemma i have here since if i own the device for more than a yr, my warranty wouldn't matter anymore. am i just thinking too much and worrying myself?

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
ok, now i'm getting confused.

my p600 is still on 4.3 jellybean. but from what i read, as long as did not update to kitkat firmware, i can still unroot and reverse the warranty bit bcoz they don't have knox yet. but it'll be too late if i updated to kikat right? btw, i used cf-auto-root.

just weeks ago i rooted my p600 and flashed stock recovery, so now my p600 thinks its stock official firmware, even say so in about device.
i haven't tried unrooting it yet to confirm that i can get warrenty back by flashing back whole stock firmware bcoz i don't want to redo all settings again. but thats the impression i'm geting.

anyhow if i can't really reverse that warranty thing i don't really care anyways. i warranty my stuff better than they do it, and since i think i can still get updates, it bothers me even less if its unreversible. but in the case if i'm right, and i can reverse that warranty bit. maybe one day i'd like to update to kitkat. then what? i'll have to have knox in my system and i can't reverse warranty counter anymore?

is there a way i can update to a custom kikat firmware (one day) and not have knox so i'll still be able to get warranty back?
i kind of realized the dilemma i have here since if i own the device for more than a yr, my warranty wouldn't matter anymore. am i just thinking too much and worrying myself?

Yes you're confused!!. Knox has nothing to do with warranty bit, once this tripped, you can't undo doesn't matter you on 4.3 or 4.4.

jbarr3

Nov 26, 2013
I'm a little confused on a few other issues. I have read over 40 pages on another thread here about rooting etc and I couldn't find the answer to a few questions. I've just successfully rooted using the most recent instructions (P600 - CF Auto root) but in earlier instructions (about a year ago) you had to also install the stock recovery file using Odin. Is that a necessary step? Is it needed for OTA updates? Since I've read that OTA updates will unroot and possibly prevent you from rooting at all, is it best to just forget about OTAs and flash up to date files from this site? Is it also prudent to turn off auto updating in the settings.

If I'm not installing custom roms and backed up using Titanium Pro do I really need to install TWRP? Any other benefits other than nandroid? Thanks

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
I'm a little confused on a few other issues. I have read over 40 pages on another thread here about rooting etc and I couldn't find the answer to a few questions. I've just successfully rooted using the most recent instructions (P600 - CF Auto root) but in earlier instructions (about a year ago) you had to also install the stock recovery file using Odin. Is that a necessary step? Is it needed for OTA updates? Since I've read that OTA updates will unroot and possibly prevent you from rooting at all, is it best to just forget about OTAs and flash up to date files from this site? Is it also prudent to turn off auto updating in the settings.

If I'm not installing custom roms and backed up using Titanium Pro do I really need to install TWRP? Any other benefits other than nandroid? Thanks
Once you rooted you can't use OTA update any more. So the easiest going forward is to flash TWRP and use it to flash pre-rooted rom from this site.

jbarr3

Nov 26, 2013
Thanks buhohitr

I guess I'm installing TWRP tonight. There are many versions up to 2.8 I think. Which one do you recommend for P600? I've tried searching for "installing TWRP" but there were no obvious hits like there were for rooting. Which is the key thread?

To my first question, I'm assuming that the later root methods automatically installs or leaves the stock recovery as earlier methods needed to load it. Am I right?

jbarr3

Nov 26, 2013
I've tried searching for "installing TWRP" but there were no obvious hits like there were for rooting.

OK found the thread and I just read the last 55 pages (that took a while) and boy is it scary. So many problems. Touch not accurate, inverted screens, certain versions failing eg 2.7, can't access external SD card, continual looping, booting into the old recovery , OTG cables not working, time zones can't be set properly, some say turn off autoboot in odin and some say don't change default settings etc etc. the list goes on and on. I likened it to a bushfire or tornado. Some houses still stand and some don't and you want to know the silly thing here, I am an experienced computer teacher with a degree in computer science and I've upgraded firmware on over a hundred devices over the years and yet all this rooting and recovery stuff is another world. The rooting process, admittedly, was a piece of cake and the instructions for flashing TWRP seems easy too but after that there seems to be so many problems. So hit and miss.

All i want to do is load TWRP on a P600. I will only load custom ROMs when a new firmware version comes out. Can someone alleviate my fears who has successfully loaded TWRP recently on a P600 using ODIN without massive tweaking to get it going. What version TWRP did you use and did you turn off autoboot or not?

PS Have I posted this in the correct section?

jbarr3

Nov 26, 2013
Took the plunge and loaded the latest TWRP 2.8.1 and it worked perfectly except I could only back to the main SD storage and not my extSD. I ended up, as a work around, moving the backup files to the extSD drive and PC.

I think I was worried unnecessarily. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

1) Download this file https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11938873/CF-Auto-Root-lt03wifi-lt03wifixx-smp600.zip then unzip, you will see this file CF-Auto-Root-lt03wifi-lt03wifixx-smp600.tar.md5.

Rooting Instructions
    3. Boot back into Odin mode and flash TWRP version 2.6.3.3 found here https://goo.im/devs/OpenRecovery/lt03wifiue/
    That's all!

I don't understand what you are saying???
    When I said tripped Knox void warranty is that your device detected that you installed unauthorized software which tripped the knox counter. You can see this by boot into download mode (Odin mode) and you should see a line like this:
    Warranty bit: 1 (factory is 0x0)
    I hope that what you're asking!