[Q] how to increase ram by partitioning

Search This thread

dheeraj (dhlalit11)

Sep 30, 2011
fatehabad (hry)
Hi guys m running fusion cm9 beta and want to increase the size of ram with the help of swap size I want to know how to partition my sdcard and want to create 2nd partition as swap partition and which app to use to set the swapiness without moving apps to external

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2011
Austin, TX
Increasing your swap space on any operating system does not increase your RAM. The OS might be able to start more processes, etc., but your RAM size remains the same.

The RAM in the Captivate is just that--RAM. Its size is fixed. All of your other solid-state memory is not RAM--it is behaving as file system storage.

DaNaRkI

Apr 28, 2011
???
It is possible I have done it on my galaxy mini about 2 months ago and every Linux devices ram can be increased

well how did you do it for the galaxy mini? I can't see there being a big difference in how something like that would be done from one phone to another.

Also, are you sure that there was an improvement in how the galaxy mini performs?
I ask because google specifically designed android to not have a swap partition nor to use one.

dheeraj (dhlalit11)

Sep 30, 2011
fatehabad (hry)
well how did you do it for the galaxy mini? I can't see there being a big difference in how something like that would be done from one phone to another.

Also, are you sure that there was an improvement in how the galaxy mini performs?
I ask because google specifically designed android to not have a swap partition nor to use one.
after creating swap partition the system thinks swap partition as ram and uses it for some background and foreground tasks it works great on mini

but the problem is I don't know how to partition sdcard through windows. before that I can partition through cwm recovery but in this mobile there are 2 SD cards so am fearing of partitioning internal one

RootTheMachine

Oct 4, 2011
after creating swap partition the system thinks swap partition as ram and uses it for some background and foreground tasks it works great on mini

but the problem is I don't know how to partition sdcard through windows. before that I can partition through cwm recovery but in this mobile there are 2 SD cards so am fearing of partitioning internal one

You can probably google it. To do it, I'm pretty sure you use command prompt in windows

Sent from my CM9 ICS i897 Captivate

prbassplayer

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Mar 29, 2011
Mayagüez
I don't see that actually improving your experience. Android manages the ram pretty efficiently since GB (even better on ICS). As Danarki said google design it without swap partition. The method used on your galaxy mini should work (mostly) for our i897. If it was a .zip file open it up and look at the code see what it did exactly. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: dheeraj (dhlalit11)

dheeraj (dhlalit11)

Sep 30, 2011
fatehabad (hry)
I don't see that actually improving your experience. Android manages the ram pretty efficiently since GB (even better on ICS). As Danarki said google design it without swap partition. The method used on your galaxy mini should work (mostly) for our i897. If it was a .zip file open it up and look at the code see what it did exactly. Just my 2 cents.
its not a zip file its a second partition of our sdcard and I want to know how to partition my external sdcard

pc103

Jul 7, 2007
I used Swapper from the Market when I tried your approach. The way I used my Cappy on stock GB the benefits seemed to fade over time.

I switched to SD Boost & SD Tools both before and after flashing Doc's Master ICS. Conclusion: speeding up disk i/o had a much more noticeable effect (especially on ICS) than RAM tweaking.

4l1279.png
2nb52f7.png

pierut

Oct 16, 2011
If the kernel supports it...

Open android terminal emulator and cd to /etc... run

$ cat fstab
(it might be a variation of fstab... its vold.fstab on my transformer)

This will give you you sd card device name... i think it is referred to as 'emmc' rather than sdcard... sdcard is the internal memory... idk why they insist on this.. it's just confusing.. in short locate emmc not sdcard!

Run
$ fdisk
Delete the partitions and create 2 new ones... you'll need to change the type of the first partition to swap and the 2nd to Linux..then write the changes to the disk.

Run
$ mkswap

Then run
$ swapon /dev/emmc0 (not literal... device is probably different but it needs to be the first partition..which is 0)

Then for the rest of the card run

$mkfs.ext4 /dev/emmc1 (again not literal)
(or mkfs.vfat)

The kernel must support swap before swapon will work. I'd make absolutely sure that the external sd card is emmc... it is on mine but this might be different between roms... also, a higher class SD would make swap faster.

I don't see how trying swap could hurt anything....other than potentially deleting the wrong partitions. That's part of the beauty of Linux... messing with it to see what you can do. It's one of the reasons i love android.. i wish more of these android newbs would realize this and encourage poking around with the coolest part of android and give the information that was requested rather than reasons why its dumb or impossible. Nothing is impossible or dumb except the ones discouraging you.

If you want to hack around on your devices... do it!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:
Reactions: dheeraj (dhlalit11)

dheeraj (dhlalit11)

Sep 30, 2011
fatehabad (hry)

$ cat fstab

This will give you you sd card device name... i think it is referred to as 'emmc' rather than sdcard... sdcard is the internal memory... idk why they insist on this.. it's just confusing.. in short locate emmc not sdcard!

Run
$ fdisk
Delete the partitions and create 2 new ones... you'll need to change the type of the first partition to swap and the 2nd to Linux..then write the changes to the disk.

Run
$ mkswap

Then run
$ swapon /dev/emmc0 (not literal... device is probably different but it needs to be the first partition..which is 0)

(or mkfs.vfat)

The kernel must support swap before swapon will work. I'd make absolutely sure that the external sd card is emmc... it is on mine but this might be different between roms... also, a higher class SD would make swap faster.

I don't see how trying swap could hurt anything....other than potentially deleting the wrong partitions. That's part of the beauty of Linux... messing with it to see what you can do. It's one of the reasons i love android.. i wish more of these android newbs would realize this and encourage poking around with the coolest part of android and give the information that was requested rather than reasons why its dumb or impossible. Nothing is impossible or dumb except the ones discouraging you.

thanks man will surely do it in future after backing up my data and you are right it's emmc but it's mount point is /mnt/emmc will it be a prob

please reply on this thread also
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1535360

ar_156

Mar 3, 2007
Any new about this? Repartition or use some internal memory for system memory?
I am starting to get not enough memory when updating apps but when I check the app storage there is 45 MB free on Running, and 9 GB free on internal SD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

$ cat fstab

Run
    $ fdisk

Run
    $ mkswap

Then run

(or mkfs.vfat)