[APP][Nov-13-2013] Capacitive Buttons v1.0.13

Search This thread

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
UPDATE: The camera app froze on me once again (still on the 10-12 nightly) and the phone rebooted by itself. When I unlocked the phone after it had rebooted, I saw text that said "Capacitive buttons brightness has been granted superuser permissions." Then, it shut off the capacitive lights like it should at boot. However, right after they shut off, they immediately came back on. So I believe the app is shutting them off initially (which is the option I have selected; also, it gives the "granted superuser permissions" text), and then somehow they come back on. Hope this helps! I'm still trying to man up to get that logcat haha.

Thanks for the update. I think you're right, that the app is indeed setting the capacitive button brightness on boot, but then something else is setting it to some other value. Perhaps some other app that you've installed is doing it, or there is some CM10 ROM setting that is changing the brightness. I'm currently running CM10, cm-10-20121012-NIGHTLY-evita.zip (which is the same as you), and I don't see any options to control the capacitive button brightness nor do I experience the issue that you are.

Did you by any chance flash Turge's MOD to set the capacitive button brightness: link? If you did then my app and his MOD would be "competing" to set the brightness on boot.

Also, let me know if there is anything "blocking" you from capturing a logcat. A logcat is the most standard log captured by Android developers and is an incredible tool for debugging problems just like this. If you're concerned about posting it publicly, you could even PM it to me.

Reactions: cecilyen

jkel777

Apr 10, 2012
Thanks for the update. I think you're right, that the app is indeed setting the capacitive button brightness on boot, but then something else is setting it to some other value. Perhaps some other app that you've installed is doing it, or there is some CM10 ROM setting that is changing the brightness. I'm currently running CM10, cm-10-20121012-NIGHTLY-evita.zip (which is the same as you), and I don't see any options to control the capacitive button brightness nor do I experience the issue that you are.

Did you by any chance flash Turge's MOD to set the capacitive button brightness: link? If you did then my app and his MOD would be "competing" to set the brightness on boot.

Also, let me know if there is anything "blocking" you from capturing a logcat. A logcat is the most standard log captured by Android developers and is an incredible tool for debugging problems just like this. If you're concerned about posting it publicly, you could even PM it to me.

I didn't download Turge's MOD, so I'm still at a loss for what's causing it. I don't think I installed any apps that would compete with your app... when the next nightly comes out, I'll flash it and then see if everything gets fixed.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
Version 1.0.4 released. You can either install the APK from the link in the OP, or wait for a few hours for the new version to become active in the Google Play Store.

Chanes in v1.0.4
  • provide visual indication when the brightness buttons are clicked
  • produce better error message if device is not rooted or root permission denied
  • "Default" button added to enable reverting the brightness setting to the default
  • images are not as badly pixelated as before (still a bit though)
  • translations for the words "Settings" and "About" added
  • contentDescription attribute added to ImageView elements, to improve accessibility

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
This small application allows you to change the brightness of the capacitive buttons (back, home, and recent tasks) on the HTC One X. Root is required in order for this application to work. This application works on any ROM, including CleanROM, ViperXL, Cyanogenmod, AOKP, and MIUI.

Feel free to bake this app into custom ROMs or publish it in other places. No need to ask permission from me. However, I am quite interested personally in different places that this app is used. So if you do include it in a ROM or whatever feel free to post a note to this thread to let me know! The app is licensed under the GPL, which means you can even take it apart and include it in your own stuff... I just ask that you honor the spirit of the GPL (unlike HTC's 120-day policy... grrr!)

@sleepydragonsw

Very good! I plan on using this in my next build of CleanROM!

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
Very nice. How well does this affect battery life?

I haven't measured, but it probably has negligible impact on battery life. The capacitive button backlight is on so rarely in the grand scheme of things and is such a small light that I imagine it makes no noticeable difference.

The primary motivation for me personally using this app is aesthetics. For example, when watching a YouTube video in a dark room it is nice to have the backlight buttons off. Also, I prefer the "dim" setting compared to the bright for normal use.

Reactions: xGIBRALTERx

xGIBRALTERx

Oct 27, 2012
I haven't measured, but it probably has negligible impact on battery life. The capacitive button backlight is on so rarely in the grand scheme of things and is such a small light that I imagine it makes no noticeable difference.

The primary motivation for me personally using this app is aesthetics. For example, when watching a YouTube video in a dark room it is nice to have the backlight buttons off. Also, I prefer the "dim" setting compared to the bright for normal use.

Ah hah. Thanks for sharing this is pretty cool.

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
Version 1.0.5 released. You can either install the APK from the link below (and in the OP), or wait for a few hours for the new version to become active in the Google Play Store.

Changes in v1.0.5
  • fixed pixelated button images in main UI (thanks to gridlock489 for providing higher-resolution images)

There is a screenshot attached showing the improvements in the button images from v1.0.4 to v1.0.5. No more pixelation!

APK Download URL for v1.0.5: http://code.google.com/p/hox-cap-butn-brightness/downloads/detail?name=CapButnBrightness-1.0.5.apk

Attachments

• v104vsv105screenshots.jpg
    v104vsv105screenshots.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 382

slimdizzy

Sep 2, 2008
Version 1.0.5 released. You can either install the APK from the link below (and in the OP), or wait for a few hours for the new version to become active in the Google Play Store.

Changes in v1.0.5
  • fixed pixelated button images in main UI (thanks to gridlock489 for providing higher-resolution images)

There is a screenshot attached showing the improvements in the button images from v1.0.4 to v1.0.5. No more pixelation!

APK Download URL for v1.0.5: http://code.google.com/p/hox-cap-butn-brightness/downloads/detail?name=CapButnBrightness-1.0.5.apk

New images look way better. Thnx!

Sent from my One X using xda premium

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
Version 1.0.6 released. You can either install the APK from the link below (and in the OP), or wait for a few hours for the new version to become active in the Google Play Store.

Changes in v1.0.6
  • add support for the International One X (endeavoru) and the HTC One X+
  • re-architected some of the code to support multiple devices
  • show detected device type at the bottom of the "About" screen
  • if all is well, there should be no noticeable difference (other than the device name in the "About" screen) from v1.0.5 for North American HTC One X (evita) users

APK Download URL for v1.0.6: http://code.google.com/p/hox-cap-butn-brightness/downloads/detail?name=CapButnBrightness-1.0.6.apk

didopicha

Aug 8, 2006
Varna
Great app but I have a problem with it. I'm using the newly supported endeavoru and it works but after the screen locks it forgets its settings and after I unlock the phone the brightness is restored to default settings. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
Great app but I have a problem with it. I'm using the newly supported endeavoru and it works but after the screen locks it forgets its settings and after I unlock the phone the brightness is restored to default settings. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.

No, you're not missing something. It's a legitimate issue with the app that affects endeavoru and evitareul devices (not evita though). I've been working on a fix in conjunction with a couple of users in the endeavoru thread and I think I have a fix. There is a test version of the app with a proposed fix, so I'd encourage you to try it and report your findings: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35234848#post35234848.

Reactions: didopicha

didopicha

Aug 8, 2006
Varna
Works like a charm, thank you :) The app retains its settings both after screen unlock and reboot.
The ROM I'm currently using is Epsilon Project - AOKP 4.1.2.

denversc

Jul 1, 2012
Kitchener
Version 1.0.7 released. You can either install the APK from the link below (and in the OP), or wait for a few hours for the new version to become active in the Google Play Store.

Changes in v1.0.7
  • fixes bug where brightness setting does not persist when turning screen off then back on; only affects International One X (endeavoru) and HTC One X+ (evitareul) devices

APK Download URL for v1.0.7: http://code.google.com/p/hox-cap-butn-brightness/downloads/detail?name=CapButnBrightness-1.0.7.apk

NOTE: If you installed one of the two "test" versions that were released while investigating the fix that went into this version you must uninstall it before installing this official version. The reason is that the "test" versions are signed with a developer key where v1.0.7 is signed with the "official" key. If you forget to uninstall the test version first then installation of the official version will fail. If you have a previous official version installed (eg. v1.0.6) then you do not need to uninstall it first.

cell30

Jan 28, 2012
I'm also experiencing the issue of the settings not sticking on boot. Was this ever resolved?

Sent from my One X using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: Please use the DevDB thread for all devices instead of this device-specific thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2496347
    Cap_Butn_Brightness_Title_Banner.jpg

This small application allows you to change the brightness of the capacitive buttons (back, home, and recent tasks) on many HTC devices and a few non-HTC devices, including the HTC One X (both dual-core and quad-core models), the HTC One X+, and the HTC One. Users have also reported success on other devices, including HTC One V, HTC One S, HTC Desire HD, and Evo 3g. Root is required in order for this application to work. This application works on any ROM, including CleanROM, ViperXL, Cyanogenmod, AOKP, and MIUI.

App review by Portal Administrator / Editor-in-Chief for XDA-Developers Will Verduzco: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/easily-dim-the-capacitive-buttons-on-many-htc-devices

Features
    • Intuitive UI to set the brightness of the capacitive buttons to bright, dim, or off
    • Home screen widget to cycle between brightness levels

Latest Versions
    Latest Pro Version: 1.0.13
    Latest Free Version: 1.0.13

Download
    Google Play (Pro version): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sleepydragon.capbutnbrightness.pro
    Google Play (Free version): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sleepydragon.capbutnbrightness
    APK (v1.0.13): http://dl.bintray.com/sleepydragon/CapacitiveButtons/CapButnBrightness-1.0.13.apk
    YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Zj-z02CR8

Differences in the Pro Version
    The Pro version receives new features and bug fixes 2-4 weeks earlier than the free version. That's it! Oh, and also the free version has a link at the bottom of the main UI to upgrade to pro. The main motivation to pay for the pro version is to get official app updates easily and automatically via the Google Play Store. If you're happy with waiting for updates or using beta versions then you can live a full and happy life with the free version.

Officially Supported Devices
    • HTC One X (evita and endeavoru)
    • HTC One (m7)
    • HTC One X+ (evitareul)
    • HTC One S
    • HTC Sensation

Unofficially Supported Devices
    • HTC One V
    • HTC Desire HD
    • HTC Evo 3D
    • HTC Droid MAXX
    • HTC Droid DNA
    • HTC Butterfly S
    • LG Optimus G

Officially Unsupported Devices (devices that are known not to work)
    • Samsung Galaxy S2
    • Samsung Galaxy S3

Frequently Asked Questions
    • Which brightness setting is "stock"? It depends. On Sense based ROMs (eg. CleanROM, ViperXL) "Bright" seems to be the default. On AOSP-based ROMs (eg. CM10, AOKP) "Dim" seems to be the default. It all depends on how/if the ROM maintainer tweaked the default setting. The "default default" (ie. if you RUU to stock) setting is "bright". In v1.0.4, a "Default" button was added to allow reverting to stock brightness.
    • How do I get back to the default setting? The most reliable way is to click the "Default" button on the main screen of the application then simply reboot. Or, you can just set the brightness setting that is the default.
    • What happens if I uninstall the app? Nothing. Well, it doesn't change the brightness setting if that's what you're wondering. After a reboot, though, the brightness setting will revert back to the ROM's default setting.

Known Issues
    • "Dim" does not work on all ROMs and kernels
    • "Off" does not stick when "GV Integation" app installed

Source
    This application is released under the GPL3 open-source license. Source code is published at https://code.google.com/p/hox-cap-butn-brightness

Reporting Bugs
    Use the "Bug Reports" feature of this DevDB project or add a post to this thread. Please include the contents of the application's "Debug Information" page (available from the "Settings" screen) when reporting bugs, as it contains invaluable information for developers to use when investigating issues. There is a "Copy" button in the top-right corner of the screen for easy cut & paste.

Credits
    Turge - for providing a MOD to perform the same task (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1694375)
    gridlock489 - for providing higher-resolution images for the buttons in the main UI
    slimdizzy - for testing on the HTC One X+ and letting me borrow his device to try things out
    TToivanen - for testing on the International HTC One X (endeavoru)
    lesscro - for providing the title banner that you see at the top of this post
    skdubg - for testing on the HTC One X+, especially the new "dim" support

Change Log (brief - see full change log in the next post)
    • 1.0.13 (Nov 14, 2013) Fixed buttons turning off issue, skip dim in widget if not supported, HTC Sensation support added
    • 1.0.12 (Oct 24, 2013) Fixed "default" button error: "Changing permissions of file failed"
    • 1.0.11 (Oct 23, 2013) Fixed long-standing issues with UI lags and superuser permissions usage, animation added to home screen widget
    • 1.0.10 (Sept 10, 2013) Home screen widget added, HTC One brightness levels fixed
    • 1.0.9 (Sept 03, 2013) HTC One support added, support for devices without the "currents" file added
    • 1.0.8 (Jan 02, 2013) dim support for all devices, new home screen icon, debug information and credits screen added, fixed about screen scrolling
    • 1.0.7 (Dec 10, 2012) fixes bug where brightness setting does not persist when turning screen off then back on; only affects endeavoru and evitareul
    • 1.0.6 (Dec 06, 2012) added support for HTC One X+ and International HTC One X (endeavoru); added detected device name at bottom of "About" screen
    • 1.0.5 (Nov 25, 2012) fixed pixelated button images in main UI (thanks to gridlock489 for providing higher-resolution images)
    • 1.0.4 (Nov 03, 2012) visual indication when buttons pressed, better error message if not rooted, "Default" button added, some words translated
    • 1.0.3 (Oct 11, 2012) Brightness setting now sticks across reboots
    • 1.0.2 (Oct 03, 2012) Change theme to Holo (dark), replace button text off/dim/bright with pretty icons
    • 1.0.1 (Oct 02, 2012) Added to Google Play, new application icon, added "About" screen
    • 1.0.0 (Sept 29, 2012) Initial release

Old APKs:

Feel free to bake the free version of this app into custom ROMs or publish it in other places. No need to ask permission from me. However, I am quite interested personally in different places that this app is used. So if you do include it in a ROM or whatever feel free to post a note to this thread to let me know! The app is licensed under the GPL, which means you can even take it apart and include it in your own stuff... I just ask that you honor the spirit of the GPL (unlike HTC's 120-day policy... grrr!)

Threads for this app for other devices (obsolete - please use this thread instead):
    Version 1.0.8-Beta1 APK is attached. If no serious issues arise with this beta then it will become the official v1.0.8 release.

Changes in v1.0.8-Beta1 (since v1.0.7)
    • "dim" support added for the International (quad-core) HTC One X and HTC One X+ (note: does not work on all ROMs/kernels/hboots)
    • "Debug Information" screen added, from the "Settings" screen
    • New application icon (thanks to XDA user lesscro)
    • "Credits" screen added, accessible from "About" screen
    • Complete re-write of code that sets capacitive buttons brightness, to allow it to support multiple devices
    • Fixed scrolling in "About" screen
    • Fixed crash when device is rotated in the "Settings" screen

Note that the newly-added "dim" support for the quad-core Tegra3 devices has been reported to work by some users and others have reported no difference between "dim" and "bright". Unfortunately, the root cause of the issue is unknown but I still plan to release this in v1.0.8 since some users report success. "Dim" fully works for the dual-core S4 North American HTC One X (a.k.a. "XL").

Please reply to this post with your feedback. If reporting issues, please go to the new "Debug Information" screen, press the "copy" button, and paste its contents. This will immensely help me investigate issues. You can also attach a screenshot of this screen if that is easier.

If anyone is willing, I've created a set of "regression tests" that can be executed manually in about 20 minutes to ensure that the entire application works correctly. Any of these test case failures is a legitimate issue. If you would like to run these tests, please see them at https://code.google.com/p/hox-cap-butn-brightness/wiki/ReleaseTests

Reminder: This "beta version" of the app is signed with a developer key so it will fail to install if you have an official version of the app installed. So you must first uninstall any official versions of the app before installing this test version.

Finally, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Changes in v1.0.5

Version 1.0.8 released. You can either install the APK from the link below (and in the OP), or wait for a few hours for the new version to become active in the Google Play Store.

Changes in v1.0.8 (compared to v1.0.7)
    • "Dim" support added for the International (quad-core) HTC One X and HTC One X+ (note: does not work on all ROMs/kernels/hboots)
    • New application icon (thanks to XDA user lesscro)
    • "Debug Information" screen added, accessible from the "Settings" screen
    • "Credits" screen added, accessible from the "About" screen
    • Complete re-write of code that sets capacitive buttons brightness, to allow it to support multiple devices
    • Fixed scrolling in "About" screen
    • Fixed crash when device is rotated in the "Settings" screen

APK Download URL for v1.0.8: http://code.google.com/p/hox-cap-butn-brightness/downloads/detail?name=CapButnBrightness-1.0.8.apk

NOTE: If you have installed a "test" or "beta" version of this application then you must uninstall it before installing this official version. The reason is that the "test" versions are signed with a developer key where v1.0.8 is signed with the "official" key. If you forget to uninstall the test version first then installation of the official version will fail. If you have a previous official version installed (eg. v1.0.7) then you do not need to uninstall it first
    Version 1.0.4 released. You can either install the APK from the link in the OP, or wait for a few hours for the new version to become active in the Google Play Store.

Chanes in v1.0.4
    • provide visual indication when the brightness buttons are clicked
    • produce better error message if device is not rooted or root permission denied
    • "Default" button added to enable reverting the brightness setting to the default
    • images are not as badly pixelated as before (still a bit though)
    • translations for the words "Settings" and "About" added
    • contentDescription attribute added to ImageView elements, to improve accessibility