Back to stock 4.0.4 ICS after new update 4.1.2 JB

Search This thread

Mystique5022

May 16, 2011
Do you think there will be another method to go back to 4.0.4 or maybe a JB 4.1.2 root/bootloader unlock any time in the near future? I made the foolish mistake of taking the update :(

dbeedle

CressTm

Mar 22, 2013
Unfortunately I did

I attempted to downgrade earlier today after multiple failed upgrades. I ended up hard bricking my razr HD. Im only 17 and theres no way for me to get a new phone. FML

DVDDave

Feb 6, 2009
I attempted to downgrade earlier today after multiple failed upgrades. I ended up hard bricking my razr HD. Im only 17 and theres no way for me to get a new phone. FML

Still have fastboot mode?

Matt can you make a utility for the people like the one above who do not know how to use RSDLITE ?? I know how to use it but the poor person above doesn't seem to know and there are probably others....he probably doesn't even know what fastboot mode is???

Mystique5022

May 16, 2011

Asssuming you are able to get into Fastboot (While the phone is off, press and hold vol +, vol -, and power until it asks, volume - to Fastboot mode, then volume + to select it, then plug the phone in VIA USB, install and load the RSDLite file in Matt's comment, as well as the Firmware which is also there, and then unzip the folder. Once this is done, go into RSD Lite and click on the "..." dialog then select the XML that you extracted in the firmware folder. Once that's done, you should be able to click Start and it will hopefully fix your phone.

Good luck.

Mitalis

Jun 12, 2010
Do you think there would be any issues in trying to downgrade back to 4.1.1? I have the stock rom backed up through safestrap. I haven't taken the new OTA yet.

I wanted to keep 4.1.1 handy to fall back on should I need to use Matt’s tool to downgrade to ICS.

Last edited:

jestermx6

Mar 30, 2011
Do you think there would be any issues in trying to downgrade back to 4.1.1? I have the stock rom backed up through safestrap. I haven't taken the new OTA yet.

I wanted to keep 4.1.1 handy to fall back on should I need to use Matt’s tool to downgrade to ICS.

If you're talking via Fasboot and RSD Lite, no. After being on 4.1.2, the system prohibits you from downgrading, giving you an error about downgrading to an older version.

I'm not sure how that may or may not be affected by running safestrap though. I would think that, as long as you can get back into safestrap, you can have both your custom rom, and 4.1.2 on. The problem comes in when you have to actually Fastboot flash the phone to 4.1.2 and cannot flash back to 4.1.1 or earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mitalis

kep1a

Mar 13, 2013
Anything lost with either 4.1.1 or 4.1.2

I have a Razr Maxx HD on ICS 4.0.4 and have it rooted. I like how it operates for the most part with some tweaks that is. I have the Voodoo OTA root keeper and titanium pro back up of what I have now.

I want to get either the 4.1.1 or 4.1.2 OTA update keep my root as well as the things I mentioned below. Are there any negatives to the upgrade while using Voodoo OTA root keeper? Are the improvements worth it?

I tried most of the WIFI apps and did not like the speed or reliability of connections so I did the edit to the "subscription check" and use the OEM WIFI tether with great results. Will this still work? can I edit it to work if it doesn't?

I lost voice search with the roll back to 4.0.4 and had to do the "Velvet-theos0o-5.apk" fix to get it working again. It has no google search box anymore and is a little buggy but hey it works. Do I need to undo this first? I saved the original GoogleQuickSearchBox as a .bak in the same location.

I use USB tethering the most and like the EasyTether pro app. Will this app still work?

I wanted to post in this thread but it seems I have not posted enough questions to get permission.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2024423&page=18

But I suspect here in this thread will work too.

vuphongkkk

Apr 3, 2011
i changed the nv item to use my xt926 razr maxx hd to use it on t-mobile, so the upgrade to 4.1.2 was failed.@@

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

newmanx4

Feb 28, 2012
Right. The above method would just put a fresh install of 4.1.2 on your phone.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If I flash this, will I lose my root privileges?

Yes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    I just want to let everyone know that it is possible to go back to ICS after updating to 4.1.2(9.16.6) I was rooted on 4.1.1 today, used ota root keeper to temp unroot and update to 4.1.2 and restore root. I just used Matts RazrHD utility 1.10 and went back to ICS 4.0.4 with no problems what so ever...
    Im not sure why its stated that once you update to the newest release that you cannot go back, but its possible. So for everyone that wants to try out 4.1.2 and didnt want to be stuck, you can downgrade.
    Hope this helps.

Also for everyone willing to try to downgrade please post results and type of phone you have, also the way you downgraded...

Device: Razr HD XT926 US Verizon non dev ed.
    Original firmware 4.0.4(0.6.25)
    Used RazrHD Utility 1.10 to downgrade

UPDATE: 3/21

I tried to downgrade again so I can post screen shots for everyone, and it did not work this time!!! Something must have changed/sync'd with my phone since the last time I downgraded that did not sync the first time. This has been a strange experience, but I would not have posted if I really did not have success the first time! It now gives errors, and I have tried everything I could imagine. My phone is not bricked and I am still rooted and have SS.
    Preserving the option to downgrade to ICS is certainly important to me. Please, what phone do you have and from what country is your carrier (and thus, presumably, your version of stock ICS)?

XT926 Verizon US non dev edition, ICS 4.0.4 (0.6.25)
    I will add it to the OP
    I am downloading the 4.1.2 fastboot files now.