Gumdrop and Poetic silicone cases

Search This thread

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013
So gumdrop and poetic have come out with silicone cases for the 12.2

I just broke down and got my 12.2 900 from amazon since they dropped the price by $50 (starting Saturday this started just on the black version down a few $ then to $25 and finally to $50 off today and then they applied it to the white so both are $50 off - glad I was waffling). I thought about the VZW one since they had $200 off this month with the contract, and I like the fast charging and slightly quicker processor, but the likely lack of updates and likely fewer mods and no 64gb model made it a no go (that $35 activation fee blows too - so, sorry VZW you could have made some money...).

So I really wanted Gumdrop to come out with a bounce skin for it, but they said lets make a more expensive hideaway model with the terrible slippery/spongy silicone. This will be out on April 15th. I might consider it then, but this company is not making me happy not having replied to a single request for information I have sent since early February.

Poetic has two skin for the 12.2, the GraphGrip and the Turtle. The GraphGrip is out now and is a thinner skin for the 12.2, pretty cheap too. I got this for immediate use. They also have the Turtle which is similar to the BounceSkin in that it is a substantial silicone skin with lots of cushioning. This will be out April 15th too. What makes me hesitate with the Turtle is the weight, 12 oz.!!! This adds 3/4 of a pound to the device. For comparison my wife's bounce skin weighs about 4 oz. My thinking is that 12 oz. is too much weight to add to the tablet. Also both are only available in black.

So just wanted to update everyone on the silicone skins for the 12.2

KestrelX

Nov 23, 2012
I have the graph grip. It is HEAVY. Adds a lot of weight. Collects dust and dog fur. Otherwise it is nice. Certainly feels like some decent protection, but i went back to the cheapo case I got off amazon.

Sent from my Galaxy Note Pro 12 using Tapatalk

Reactions: minionhunter

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013
I have the graph grip. It is HEAVY. Adds a lot of weight. Collects dust and dog fur. Otherwise it is nice. Certainly feels like some decent protection, but i went back to the cheapo case I got off amazon.

Yeah, shipping weight on the GraphGrip says 5 oz.

I wish they could understand gumdrop which hollows out the silicone creating "air pockets" which seem to provide a bit more protection while dropping the weight significantly. I'm glad it feels like good protection, I was worried it would feel cheap.

Last edited:

hamlettime

Apr 1, 2014
Yeah, shipping weight on the GraphGrip says 5 oz.

I wish they could understand gumdrop which hollows out the silicone creating "air pockets" which seem to provide a bit more protection while dropping the weight significantly. I'm glad it feels like good protection, I was worried it would feel cheap.

The GumDrop cases always looked bulky to me, so Im glad to hear they don't weigh much. However, I like the Poetic case's design better.

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013
The GumDrop cases always looked bulky to me, so Im glad to hear they don't weigh much. However, I like the Poetic case's design better.

I like the gumdrop bounce skin case the best, but they only have it for the ipad. I really like the bulk to it, it feels right to me. They hollow out the silicone on the inside to make it cushion more and really drop the weight.

The poetic skin, graphgrip (thin one) is OK. The silicone gets a little tacky after use, and I like that. The weight is not bad.
Cons:
They scent it, I don't like this
It only just curves around the edge and does not extend over the buttons or sides of the glass. I would prefer they go to the edge, cover the home button and entirely cover the capacitive buttons but have thinned out the place where you could cut them out if you want them, I will disable mine this weekend when I root.
I don't think it will cushion the device were it to fall, it just give a bit of a grip.

The big skin I don't have, but it seems like it would be heavy (12 oz. is almost half what the device wieghs, too much for a skin), I bet it is because they don't hollow it out like gumdrop.

marygladys

Oct 26, 2008
I bought the Poetic Turtle Case and sure it does protect the tablet but it is heavily scented and it is just noxious! I am soaking it in hot soapy water and drying it outside in the hopes that the stench dissapates. Too bad for the case! I will be buying a Gum drop just for this reason. Also, the Poetic case is tacky....very sticky, unlike a Gumdrop.

**** So, it's been overnight and the scent is still there after bleaching and soaking the thing and putting it out all night to air out. Why did they scent the thing? Why don't they put that in the description???? It is just such a nasty smell!

Last edited:

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013
I bought the Poetic Turtle Case and sure it does protect the tablet but it is heavily scented and it is just noxious! I am soaking it in hot soapy water and drying it outside in the hopes that the stench dissapates. Too bad for the case! I will be buying a Gum drop just for this reason. Also, the Poetic case is tacky....very sticky, unlike a Gumdrop.

**** So, it's been overnight and the scent is still there after bleaching and soaking the thing and putting it out all night to air out. Why did they scent the thing? Why don't they put that in the description???? It is just such a nasty smell!

Is there any chance you can weigh the turtle case?

The graph grip had the Jasmine scent too but it is fading now to next to nothing after about a month of use. I don't know why they scent it pure silicone rubber has no scent. It might be a mold lubricating agent they use.

I would suggest not using bleach. Try dish soap like palmolive first (high SDS content) then if that does not work or if you want to skip it use febreeze. I prefer fragrance free, but any will work. Why febreeze? Because they use cyclodextrans to De odorize. These molecules trap scent or smelly molecules inside them and actually remove them. Try spraying it on your hand when they smell fishy or worse and you can't get rid of the smell with soap. Febreeze will work like a charm. I suspect in this case it will help significantly but it won't totally work since the scent will be dissolved in the silicone rubber. It will just take a bit of time to totally diffuse out and be gone. Febreeze will be your best bet. Just rinse it off when you are done, the cyclodextrans will just wash away and carry the scent molecules with them.

fergymac

Apr 22, 2009
Just ordered my Black GumDrop case for my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro... $74.95 Shipped

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Mike005

Nov 6, 2013
Just ordered my Black GumDrop case for my Samsung Galaxy Note Pro... $74.95 Shipped

Very curious how easy it is to remove it from the case. I would like to still use my zagg keyboard dock, which would require removing the tab from the gumdrop case. Please let us know!

fergymac

Apr 22, 2009
GumDrop case for the Note Pro has shipped today hopefully I get it before the weekend is over!

fergymac

Apr 22, 2009
Gumdrop case is here... fairly heavy however. Woll post pics later. Fits very very well on the device.

hajime_android

Apr 22, 2012
Do you mean this one: http://www.gumdropcases.com/device/...away-case-for-samsung-galaxy-tab-note-12.html

I am also considering to buy it. It looks like the Ottobox case I bought for the Note 2. I dropped a few times by accident. No problem. This gumdropcase seems to be the best to protect our very expensive device against damage from drop. Any comment on it? With the case, how difficult it is to handle the device in both landscape and portrait mode? Can you do thumb-typing easily as if the case were not there?

hajime_android

Apr 22, 2012
Hello, could users please post their experience on the Gumdrop case? The company told me that it includes a screen protector built into the case. I don't need to buy a separate protector. Wonder how good the screen protector and the case are. Is the screen protector a fingerprint maganet? I am using a screen protector from Samsung. It is a finger print magnet. Thanks

petercohen

Aug 22, 2014
Does the raised area on top and surrounding the LCD screen interfere with handwriting, use of S-pen and typing?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.