What do i even do with s-off?

Search This thread

CharliesTheMan

One big deal for a lot of people is that you will be able to make and restore nandroid backups without having to seperately go into hboot and flash the kernel (boot.img) for what you're restoring.

Also people want to be able to download and flash roms in a single file and installation process. Once devs begin packaging them for s off, you won't do the old two file method of rom in recovery followed by PH98IMG.zip in hboot.

Everything will be included in recovery.

And to me the big deal is that you can flash the latest ice cream sandwich radio firmware by flashing the RUU, and whenever you want you can how back to the gingerbread radio firmware and gingerbread roms. As opposed go how its always been where once you upgraded there was no going back for radio firmware.

Also people will tell you that's the reason that we don't have a lot more developers on our device is because of s off. I personally think that's wishful thinking, and the user base is a reason a lot of devs walked away, but I'm passing along the information since its posted constantly that once s off is achieved there will be a line of devs a half mile long begging to get to the rezound.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

Reactions: AndroidGraphix

trickster2369

Feb 15, 2011
SD
One big deal for a lot of people is that you will be able to make and restore nandroid backups without having to seperately go into hboot and flash the kernel (boot.img) for what you're restoring.

Quick question, Charlie. I came from the Dinc and am used to backup/restore including the kernels. If I were to do a backup right now(already did), after being s-off, will it include the kernel? Or, does something in the process need to be modified before the kernel is included in the backup? I have a feeling it will be included right off the bat, but just curious.

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
Quick question, Charlie. I came from the Dinc and am used to backup/restore including the kernels. If I were to do a backup right now(already did), after being s-off, will it include the kernel? Or, does something in the process need to be modified before the kernel is included in the backup? I have a feeling it will be included right off the bat, but just curious.

Backups done by amon ra included the kernel you just couldn't restore it without con's nandroid helper. So when you go to backup and it lets you select what to backup, make sure boot has an x next to it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA

trickster2369

Feb 15, 2011
SD
Backups done by amon ra included the kernel you just couldn't restore it without con's nandroid helper. So when you go to backup and it lets you select what to backup, make sure boot has an x next to it.

Thank you. That's what I didn't have to do on the Dinc, because I used CWM. I'll make sure to have this checked in Amon Ra. Although, I think it's checked by default.

CharliesTheMan

No sympathy is correct, I actually meant to add that and I forgot because I was try to wrap up the book I wrote in that post.

He and gadget have posted boot animations as well as I believe the other guy was Andybones.

I've flashed two of no sympathys splash screens I believe as well as the bamf splash screen I'm running now.

Meticode

Feb 17, 2011
Does S-Off mean we have a better chance of getting RIL working on AOSP possibly? I think I kept reading that AOSP wasn't ever going to be possibly until we got S-Off.

Also how the hell did we get S-Off? Did HTC release it, or did someone find a bootleg way to get S-Off with their own research? I was on XDA like a day or two ago before S-Off was ever mentioned then all the sudden we have it.

CharliesTheMan

Does S-Off mean we have a better chance of getting RIL working on AOSP possibly? I think I kept reading that AOSP wasn't ever going to be possibly until we got S-Off.

Also how the hell did we get S-Off? Did HTC release it, or did someone find a bootleg way to get S-Off with their own research? I was on XDA like a day or two ago before S-Off was ever mentioned then all the sudden we have it.

Some guys advocate that AOSP devs will flock back to the rezound if we have s off.

We got s off because some developers from a completely different device put in a crapload of time and effort in order to figure out the exploit and then test it on our devices.

Reactions: pwned3

Meticode

Feb 17, 2011
Some guys advocate that AOSP devs will flock back to the rezound if we have s off.

We got s off because some developers from a completely different device put in a crapload of time and effort in order to figure out the exploit and then test it on our devices.

*bow* hats off to those developers then.

pwned3

Jul 23, 2011
Cullman

The flock of new developers may be wishful thinking honestly. But I'm thankful to the guys who figured this exploit out. Genius

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Snuzzo

Account currently disabled
Dec 31, 2010
https://t.me/pump_upp
t.me

Also people want to be able to download and flash roms in a single file and installation process. Once devs begin packaging them for s off, you won't do the old two file method of rom in recovery followed by PH98IMG.zip in hboot.

This is my main reason. My Rezound loves the radios and Incredikernel. So I did a mixture of the 3, s-0ff, ics firmware, & Ineffabilis. Also just re-packed a GB rom that included kernel boot.img flashing and it worked BEAUTIFULLY. No PH98IMG flashing done at all.

Also, can always go back to Rezrom Ex 3.4 via nandroid without issue.

Comicazy

Oct 1, 2010
Does anyone know if we will be able to get the mount points changed for sdcard and sdcard2? I know recovery reads the actual sdcard, but for apps backing up data, it all goes to the internal "sdcard". More than once have I gotten in a rush and forgot to backup my internal sdcard. just hoping we can get that changed around.

knights665

Sep 12, 2011
Will the process get any easier for s off I am a noob with this s off and roms in general for the rezound because I have yet to flash a new rom on
This phone it came with clean rom 3.7(bought on swappa) and I have no clue what some ppl are taking I came from a tbolt easy to flash rooms so was the razor but I'm just so lost with this phone

luke1333

Aug 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Will the process get any easier for s off I am a noob with this s off and roms in general for the rezound because I have yet to flash a new rom on
This phone it came with clean rom 3.7(bought on swappa) and I have no clue what some ppl are taking I came from a tbolt easy to flash rooms so was the razor but I'm just so lost with this phone
the process now is easy. takes hardly any time. the wire trick isnt bad at all took me twice to get it with paper clip is all

Reactions: knights665

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.

This process is DEAD SIMPLE ... Just time consuming if you can't get the "wire Trick" timing down.

All devices are different. All I can suggest is READ ... READ ... READ

Since you don't really even know what you want to do ... S-Off can wait. Then maybe a different s-off process may be available when you DO need it. I doubt it will be "easier" though.

knights665

Sep 12, 2011
the process now is easy. takes hardly any time. the wire trick isnt bad at all took me twice to get it with paper clip is all

Alright I may give it a try but I hope someone comes up with a YouTube tutorial of the whole process ...I dont want to insult devs saying its to hard because I know how hard they worked and I appreciate it ..I'm just confused lol

Akatosh

Jan 14, 2012
UK

And to me the big deal is that you can flash the latest ice cream sandwich radio firmware by flashing the RUU, and whenever you want you can how back to the gingerbread radio firmware and gingerbread roms. As opposed go how its always been where once you upgraded there was no going back for radio firmware.

Also people will tell you that's the reason that we don't have a lot more developers on our device is because of s off. I personally think that's wishful thinking, and the user base is a reason a lot of devs walked away, but I'm passing along the information since its posted constantly that once s off is achieved there will be a line of devs a half mile long begging to get to the rezound.

Wow it's been a long time since I was last s-off...until now! But surely they haven't managed being able to flash a rom and a new hboot along with a radio all in recovery?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can flash one of the awesome splash screens in my thread in the theme section :D

S-OFF != working RIL for AOSP nor does it mean it will be "easier" to get it working for AOSP. It has nothing to do with it. Period.