Surplus Wind Heavy Duty Metal Anti Shock Drop Protection Case

Search This thread

BigPimpin

Jan 3, 2011
Tucson, AZ
D'oh, thanks.

How do you like it so far? I've got an Otterbox Defender now and I do like it, but it's a little too bulky and makes the screen corners hard to touch.

I like it way better then the Otterbox Defender. The thicker glass on this one is so much nicer. The only downside is the way you hold the phone when your laying down, how you put your ring finger or pinkie finger under the bottom to brace the phone, it kind of gives a raw feeling to the finger since it's finger on metal. If I hold it the right way I can use the rubber flap for the S Pen as a spot to put my finger and keep it off metal. Once my finger gets used to it, it won't have the slight raw feel.

quatis7

May 18, 2012
Just got mine and slipped her on.... Ill report back tomorrow after I have a bit of experience

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

alicepattinson

Jan 23, 2013
Also worth mentioning is the impact truss inside of the case's silicone bumper. They are triangular holes that help absorb shock when dropped.

dsFkKn7.jpg

Mf2p6bx.jpg

kBTnPqL.jpg

That is why I love silicone casing more than plastic. It really is protecting your phone. Especially when you drop it.

quatis7

May 18, 2012
well so far I am really digging this case. I like the heft it adds. I always felt that the plastic build on the Note 2 was cheap. This thing gives me a confident feeling that if I dropped it (or should I say when) its going to protect my phone.Pros for me - It still fits in my shirt pocket. I had to do some flanagling to get it in and out of my Iottie car mount but I think with some practice it will slip in and out eventually. Girth and weight are my big pros here. The phone seems to be seriously protected. Small cons at this point with the red version not really being the red I thought it was going to be. Its more of a brick or maroon. The other con is that there is some iridescence in the glass and it probably has something to do with how it is touching or not touching the actual screen of the phone. There is no fixed patteren to it. I will tinker with the tightness of the screws later to see if this changes. I suppose with anything that goes over the screen you will get some sort of distortion. This is by no means a deal breaker as it is only visible at different angles , room lighting and screen brightnesses.

vantt1

Dec 23, 2011
well so far I am really digging this case. I like the heft it adds. I always felt that the plastic build on the Note 2 was cheap. This thing gives me a confident feeling that if I dropped it (or should I say when) its going to protect my phone.Pros for me - It still fits in my shirt pocket. I had to do some flanagling to get it in and out of my Iottie car mount but I think with some practice it will slip in and out eventually. Girth and weight are my big pros here. The phone seems to be seriously protected. Small cons at this point with the red version not really being the red I thought it was going to be. Its more of a brick or maroon. The other con is that there is some iridescence in the glass and it probably has something to do with how it is touching or not touching the actual screen of the phone. There is no fixed patteren to it. I will tinker with the tightness of the screws later to see if this changes. I suppose with anything that goes over the screen you will get some sort of distortion. This is by no means a deal breaker as it is only visible at different angles , room lighting and screen brightnesses.

That iridescence is probably the result of thin film interference. Maybe the Note 2 version is so big that it's actually noticeable? On the Galaxy S4 and the iPhone it rarely happens.

They're great! I have one for the Galaxy S4, and it feels like a tank. I can't imagine how big it would be for the Note 2 though.

The two aluminium halves of the case support the phone where the screw holes are, so I wouldn't be surprised if it could withstand being run over by a car. It's a good idea to install a wireless charging pad as well. It works through the silicone cutout in the back, and makes charging much more convenient! The built-in glass screen protector is also nice. None of this!:

t304654a.jpg

I wouldn't trust it to be fully waterproof though. It's weather resistant at most, protecting it from rain and stuff. Just look at that camera cutout!

T2OrQDXfRbXXXXXXXX_1713240111.jpg

quatis7

May 18, 2012
That iridescence is probably the result of thin film interference. Maybe the Note 2 version is so big that it's actually noticeable? On the Galaxy S4 and the iPhone it rarely happens.

Actually I tinkered with the screw bit and it changed and disappeared. My version didn't come with instructions. I'm wondering if I should have taken the back off the phone prior to encasing it

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

BigPimpin

Jan 3, 2011
Tucson, AZ
After getting this Surplus Case, I'm going to order a different case similar to it, the one here. When I got the Surplus one Aliexpress didn't have it on there. The site now has the Surplus one and this new one I'm ordering. The Aliexpress seller has much nicer pics of this case. Both cases are pretty much the same. One is more rounded and has the screws on the back. This time I'm getting the black with the red earphone cover.

sina91h

Nov 29, 2012
How was your experience with this case? Specially when you take it out from your pocket. Because I had some thing like that and was sticking to whole my pocket

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Rootabaga

Sep 8, 2013
How is the headphone jack?

This case looks great!

After looking at this pic, it appears that it might be tricky to connect headphones. More specifically, it looks like it would be difficult to get the headphone plug to seat properly.

On the Otterbox defender, once you lift the cover to headphone jack, there is nothing between the headphone plug and the jack on the phone. On this case, it looks like there is a lot of silicone/rubber there that would prevent you from pushing the plug all the way in.

Can any of you who have this case comment on this?

Jarm3r

May 12, 2012
I just got this case the other day and wanted to provide some feedback to others who might be considering it:

GO FOR IT.

This thing turns your note2 into a tank.

Pros:

- weight: your phone now feels like a solid brick, which I like. I like added weight.
- protection: I don't see any way of dropping the phone that could harm it now
- looks: it's an aggressive tank-like look, I like it
- open back (kinda): if you use nfc or other radio cards you can still use this case because it has a large opening on the back

cons:

- weight: yes it's a plus and a negative. ITS HEAVY
- screen protector: personal preference here: I don't like the screen protector. Others might, no big deal either way though.
- headphone jack: I couldn't plug in my friend's aux jack as the rubber awesome protection was too much and wouldn't let the jack go into the hole (twss)

---

so overall: this case is awesome. I had some serious reservations ordering from an asain based hong kong company for cases that most other manufacturers don't care about anymore, but I'm very happy about this purchase and it's replaced my everyday case for a while.

Get it.

Amazon and Ebay sellers have these listed for sale for a bit cheaper than OP's link, albeit only slightly. I can't post the links due to being below the 10 post threshold, but I found them by searching "note ii case gorilla glass" and they run about $25-$30 through the various sellers.

However, the reviews on one of the Amazon listings mention that the case introduces some reception issues - can anyone in the thread who has bought one confirm/deny? It's an all-metal case (as far as I can tell), so that would make sense I guess. I've gone through two antenna wires on my Note II already from dropping it (which probably sounds as strange as you guys as it does to me), so I'm a bit weary of taking a $40 chance on reception issues, hah.

Jaydizz

Oct 11, 2011
Michigan
I have been using this case for almost a week now and can offer my 2 cents.

-case feels and looks fantastic. Everything about this case screams quality.
-I love the tempered glass built in protector.
-The signal is affected by the case. Some areas I was able to get a faint 4G signal I am now stuck with 3g. My gps no longer works with this case on.
-some people complain that there is an echo when they are talking to me. There is no echo when I am using the speakerphone.

I can't decide if the loss of signal quality is worth keeping the case. I rarely ever used the gps, but it was nice to have the option.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    looks to bulky for my taste. if it adds that much to a s4. can imagine what it's gonna add to a note 2. i'll stick with my otterbox defender

Went ahead and ordered one the other day. I'll post pics when it comes in. I'll get some side by sides of it vs the OtterBox Defender I have.
    Got the case today. Ordered it on April 29th and got it in today, May 12th.

The case comes nicely packaged. The outside of the box says it's waterproof, but I wouldn't trust it at all. The camera area has a small piece of tempered glass over it and the seal around it looks like black glue. I't might be waterproof, but risk it. Also, the earplug port doesn't seem like the best seal either. It close really tight, but still seems like a risk. The phone speaker and seems like it has a small black screen over it, doesn't look water proof at all there. That's pretty much the only negative things about the case. The rest is pretty damn good.

The case comes packaged like this:

Opening the box you get the extra screws and the tool to remove the crews.

Now for size comparison. The case next to an Otterbox Defender case. This case is 1/8" longer and 1/8" wider then the Otterbox. To me, that doesn't feel any bigger in my hand at all.

The big difference is the height. The Otterbox is 1/4" thicker then the metal case. Here they are laying flat next to each other.

I weighed the phone in the Otterbox and it was 9.6 oz. In the metal case it weighed 11.4 oz., so a slight increase in weight. And to me the 2 oz. is that big of a deal. What's really nice is the tempered glass screen protector. It feels about 3x's thicker then the plastic one on the Otterbox. There isn't any problem with sensitivity screen interaction. Also, the black square on the back is some of the rubber from the inside of the case and it sits right in the palm and keeps the phone from slipping. The black all along the edges is rubber too and helps with grip. I can see the rubber possibly attracting some dust. Have to wait a few days and see how dirty it gets. All of the buttons work easily too. Power, volume and home button all work perfectly.

I showed this case to 3 other friends and family that have Note 2's and all want to order one now. The only thing that would make this case better would be a big name brand behind it that would back up the waterproof claim. If this case had been around when the Note 2 launched, I would have definitely picked it over the Otterbox.