Android Ad-hoc support hack/wpa_supplicant

Search This thread

alexinessex

May 9, 2010
HTC Ad Hoc to epad connection

Hi

Been doing some research and been led to here.

Im trying to link my HTC Mini HD to a 7" epad tablet.
My HTC has windows not Android on it.

I understand the reason the tablet will not see my phones Wi-Fi network because it is Ad Hoc.

It there a way I can "switch" from Ad Hoc to the format I need and back or at least set up a new "connection"

Obviously I dont want to delete my Ad Hoc connection or do I need that to continue linking to my Mac laptops?

Many thanks

Last edited:

huangwu

Jan 6, 2011
HTC G7 conection unstable at all

Did you try to set Static ip first ?
yes, I have
Seems there is a short term between connected state and disconnect action because if I try to ping my phone in my laptop ,there are some replys and then some timeouts then replys again ,repeat the cycle.
I have tried the AP for connection ,it works fine.
What should I test for ?

lefsp

Apr 28, 2010
anybody else noticed that ad-hoc networks can kill your battery in 3-4 hours without doing nothing (screen off)?

(My battery life is excellent with normal wifi's and even 3G.. )

could it be Kernel specific? (I use FlyKernel 12 pre5)

webwude

Oct 28, 2010
Vienna
anybody else noticed that ad-hoc networks can kill your battery in 3-4 hours without doing nothing (screen off)?

(My battery life is excellent with normal wifi's and even 3G.. )

could it be Kernel specific? (I use FlyKernel 12 pre5)

Check your battery consumption with SGS Tolls (if you are using Samsung Galaxy). It seems that the WLAN Idle Method doesn't works at your phone, in this case WLAN On und Using is activitaded the whole time and drains the battery. Just a guess.

All the best,
ww

nimp0

Apr 12, 2010
Hi,

I hope i'm on the right place.
This is what i want to do : Sharing the 3g of my G1 to my computer (XP) and later, on my futur android tablet.

I have flashed on my G1 the wpa_adhoc-signed.zip gived in the first post. No Pbm.
Everything seem ok.

But, what to do now ?
i don't see any new wifi network.

Any1 can help ?

thx very much

webwude

Oct 28, 2010
Vienna
Hi,

I hope i'm on the right place.
This is what i want to do : Sharing the 3g of my G1 to my computer (XP) and later, on my futur android tablet.

I have flashed on my G1 the wpa_adhoc-signed.zip gived in the first post. No Pbm.
Everything seem ok.

But, what to do now ?
i don't see any new wifi network.

Any1 can help ?

thx very much

You want to share your mobile connection with your laptop, right? If you use froyo (android 2.2) you should be able to activate "mobile access point" in your settings. As far as i know, this wpa_adhoc fix enables the connection from mobile to laptop, so you can use the laptops internet connection ;)

nimp0

Apr 12, 2010
Ok,

So I have flashed this file for nothing.
I hope it haven't broke anything :/

I use a custom Froyo and I don't see this parameters.
I have a mobile access point menu, but it is used to set my Network APN etc ...
Not to share my connexion.

Strange ...

I have install a tether app that can do what I want. (Sharing the 3g connexion of my phone through Wifi to an Android tablet that don't have 3G)

Thx for your help ;)

hoper83

Jan 16, 2011
samsung galaxy i5800

I have samsung galaxy i5800 with wpa_supllicant 0.6.9.
I have put on system/bin version 0.6 attached to this thread but the wifi not start.
help me with 0.6.9 version pathed.
please!

juanch

Jan 6, 2011
I have an Huawei U8150 with Froyo 2.2
and wpa_supplicant 0.6.10 (i think..)

I tried with the wpa6_adhoc-signed.zip
(in fact I did not really apply the patch, I extracted the wpa_supplicant file from the zip and copied it to /system/bin )

after reboot, i couldn't connect or see any wireless network.

So i rolled back, copied my former wpa_supplicant.bak to wpa_supplicant
At first I faced permissions issues (Read-only file system)
so i had to remount first:
> mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
then rollback

Good enough, I got the wifi back but still cannot see ad-hoc networks :(...
Can anoyone help?

Thanks in advance

KeyzerSuze

Sep 17, 2010
Sydney
For all GALAXY S users.
Easiest way to do that.
I use Darkys ROM btw.(I think its the fastest one, gets updated very often, and if you already have this ROM, next update wont erase installed apps, but its all up to you)

Download Darkys ROM - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=814091
Download wpa_supplicant - http://rapidshare.com/files/440030406/wpa_supplicant

Flash Darkys ROM (XXJPY).(there is a full guide on that page if youre not sure what to do)
Put the wpa_supplicant on your phone(anywhere you want)
Start the phone and run Root Explorer.(Your wifi should be turned off from now on)
Find the wpa_supplicant you uploaded on the phone, copy it,and go to system/bin/ folder.
Paste and overwrite.Make sure you see r/w on the top of the /bin folder, otherwise it wont overwrite.

Its very simple and I guarantee it works on every galaxy s with Darkys ROM, because ive done it like 20 times now and havent had any problem with wifi.it works like charm.

I did this, found the wireless network, but can't seem to supply any password, so I can only use this in open mode :(

Reactions: Elythor

Janaboy

Apr 10, 2008
x

Help me please!
On Desire Z can be possible use the update.zip without any modification? Or i need change the recovery? or something like that!

Thank you!
Janaboy

yunpo123

Jan 3, 2009
For all GALAXY S users.
Easiest way to do that.
I use Darkys ROM btw.(I think its the fastest one, gets updated very often, and if you already have this ROM, next update wont erase installed apps, but its all up to you)

Download Darkys ROM - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=814091
Download wpa_supplicant - http://rapidshare.com/files/440030406/wpa_supplicant

Flash Darkys ROM (XXJPY).(there is a full guide on that page if youre not sure what to do)
Put the wpa_supplicant on your phone(anywhere you want)
Start the phone and run Root Explorer.(Your wifi should be turned off from now on)
Find the wpa_supplicant you uploaded on the phone, copy it,and go to system/bin/ folder.
Paste and overwrite.Make sure you see r/w on the top of the /bin folder, otherwise it wont overwrite.

Its very simple and I guarantee it works on every galaxy s with Darkys ROM, because ive done it like 20 times now and havent had any problem with wifi.it works like charm.
Very sorry to disturb you, but would like to ask you about, because I am using the HTC HD2 Wi-Fi Router to share Viewsonic Tablet system for the Android 2.2, and use your file and not the successful implementation of the Wifi Ad-Hoc mode Can ask about how to modify it? Because my English is not very good, so there may be some mistakes, very sorry.
PS. I have a Viewsonic Tablet has Root, but also they have the program attempt to modify the wpa_supplicant, but still does not work, why they ask you, thank you.

hystrix65

Is there anyone who can help a very ignorant newbye?
I own a chinese tablet, android 2.1, model HW-701T. I tried to connect my mobile phone, a Wm6.1 mobile, to use it as a wifi hot spot, using WMWifiRouter. My tablet can't see the wifi, android doesn't support ad-hoc IBSS. That's why reading here and there i found this thread.
Now I'd like to try to install this zip, but i really don't know how to do it. I don't know how to change the permissions to work into the directories, i don't know how to make a backup of everything before starting to play, and finally i don't know how to install this zip file.
Is there someone who can write me a brief tutorial or who can tell me where i can find some instructions?
THanks in advance!

ssmr2t

Jan 19, 2011
Thanks for the info!!! Totally NOOB question, but what the heck do I do with that text document? :lol:

DO I Zip it into a text file and rename it "update.zip-> paste it on to my SD card and install on CW?

Thanks, and sorry for being such a noob ;)

hystrix65

I've learnt many things!
I've copied the file: wpa_adhoc-signed.zip into my sdcard and renamed to update.zip

I boot my tablet, a S22 chinese named M701 or HW-701T, then i choose:

apply sdcard:update.zip

THen:

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

What shall i do??
Thanks

flyhalf86

Nov 18, 2010
Create Ad-Hoc Network

Hi i have an LG Optimus One Smartphone and i have succesfully enabled Wifi ad-hoc on my phone following the guides of this thread. But I have one question: if i want to create an ad-hoc network from my smartphone what i have to do??
I have installed iwconfig on my phone but if i try

su iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc essid essid-name;

nothing happens and the wifi interface remains in Managed mode and i don't understand why this happens. Thank you in advance for the help.

felixonmars

Jan 6, 2011
Wuhan, Hubei
felixc.at
I found a strange issue with the patch... Every time when I connected to an ad-hoc network, my phone would create an open network ssid with the same name as the one I connected to, so that other devices could only try to connect to the non-password one and failed timed out when "obtaining address".
The bug also affects it if I disconnected to the network and when tried to reconnect to it, I can only see the non-password one and cannot connect either. I have to create two ssid on my computer with different names and once disconnected, I have to switch to the other one so that my phone can connect to it again.
Is it a common issue or specific only for me?

(btw, sorry for my poor English and wish you guys could understand...)

Last edited:

csurfer

Nov 13, 2008
Ok, been searching, reading and still can't seem to find the answer. This really should be easier! In any case I need some help before I lose my mind...LOL

Viewsonic Tablet: Android 2.2
Rom: VEGAn-TAB -V 1.0.0B5.1

Trying to tether to to WM 6.5 using WMWifiRouter 2.0.

My Viewsonic tablet detects the ad-hoc mode with without any problem, connects and gets an IP address.

The problem, I can't seem to access the internet through this ad-hoc connection.

I've used the same setup on various laptops without any issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Heya,

Unfortunately android, to be precisely wpa_supplicant does not show ad-hoc networks, the following modified wpa_supplicant shows them, haven't seen it before so I posted it :).

all credits go to szym (http://szym.net/android/adhoc-wpa-supp.html)

The patch below modifies the wpa_supplicant code in the external/wpa_supplicant AOSP repo to make ad-hoc networks appear as regular APs with a (*) prefix.

The patch:

* removes the [IBSS] flag from scan results,
    * masquerades and demasquerades ad-hoc ssid with (*) prefix
    * sets mode 1 (ad-hoc) if the ssid is for IBSS
    * permits the supplicant to select an IBSS when associating to a given ssid

patch: http://szym.net/android/wpa_supplicant-ibss.patch

The only thing I did was to apply the patch compile it for froyo and supply a signed update zip with the modified wpa_supplicant, work was done by szym.

Flash the attached wpa_adhoc-signed.zip in recovery and your done :).

a3e00f284ddff04804ba8d59364712b1 wpa_adhoc-signed.zip (v0.5.11)

Works with:

- Froyo/Eclair roms on HTC Hero (confirmed)
    - roms using wpa_supplicant v0.5.x

Attention:
    - It _seems_ like some rom using wpa_supplicant v0.6.x do not work! take care (e.g HTC Desire). Please report back.

you may check this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7716862&postcount=24

Always do a nandroid backup!!
    i took it off by reinstalling the same rom over it deleted the kernel an the wifi to so im back to normal now but yea how do i do this properly i thought i just it on the rom an every thing is ok lol an whats adb

its included in the android sdk toolchain.

Can all the people which had problems, check the version of wpa_supplicant their rom is using? connectbot or via adb in cmd.exe/shell (adb shell wpa_supplicant -v) and post the output?.

It seems like some newer roms are using wpa_supplicant v6 with different libs.

You can try to use the precompiled wpa_supplicant from daveba http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7711198&postcount=6

our flash the attached signed update zip. (its the same file)

Attention: its not my file!!
    Sweet.

I got this working on my HTC Flyer WiFi with FlyHigh Rom.

Extract the wpa_supplicant from the zip file. Back up your original. Turn WiFi off. Use Root Explorer to paste it into your system/bin folder. Change the permissions on the file to rwxr-xr-x. Turn wifi back on. When scanning it should show (*) in front of any adhoc networks. I have it running with barnacle wifi tether on my OG Droid! W00tness!
    Would anyone provide "ad-hoc support in wep" in a signed update zip? Thanks.
    I got this working on my HTC Flyer WiFi with FlyHigh Rom.

Extract the wpa_supplicant from the zip file. Back up your original. Turn WiFi off. Use Root Explorer to paste it into your system/bin folder. Change the permissions on the file to rwxr-xr-x. Turn wifi back on. When scanning it should show (*) in front of any adhoc networks. I have it running with barnacle wifi tether on my OG Droid! W00tness!

Thank you. you are a genius