[Q] Options for upgrading to KitKat from 4.2.2 with TWRP

Search This thread

dodgeboy

Dec 6, 2006
Detroit, MI
I stayed on 4.2.2 rooted with TWRP and never took the MJA/MK2 OTAs, to avoid knox. I've been waiting for KitKat, and I'm ready to take the plunge. I've read through a bunch of threads, and have thoroughly confused myself. I have a few basic questions, so I can determine what my options are:

1) Is it possible to go from MF9 (rooted) to NAE, and retain my data? What happens to the modifications I made to MF9 (hotspot, xposed, etc.)?
2) If the answer to 1 is no, is it reasonable to assume that there will be a flashable NAE rom in the near future, so that I wouldn't have to odin to MK2 before going through the OTA update to NAE?
3) Should I give up on trying to keep my existing bootloader, and just suck it up and take knox? It seems like there's probably enough differences in the rom and modem that the bootloader is probably a necessary evil at this point.

Thanks in advance for your help.

optimummind

Jun 17, 2012
Orange, CA
There have been several reports of people whose WiFi and data have worked just fine with the NAE ROM plus older bootloader like MF9. I'd wait until a stock rooted NAE ROM appears so we can try it with the knox-free MF9 bootloader.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

cfendrick

Mar 13, 2008
I am in the same situation and currently on a stock rooted MF9 with a custom recovery as well. I would like to know the best upgrade path to 4.4.2 and hopefully stay on a knox free boot loader.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

optimummind

Jun 17, 2012
Orange, CA
Once Warboy releases the updated stock, rooted NAE, I'm gonna flash it with Philz recovery to see whether everything's compatible with the Knox-free MF9 bootloader. In the meanwhile, I'm gonna flash just the NAE modem. Cant wait for Kitkat~! (Even though I've had the 4.4.2 update for a long time through my Nexus 5, I'm still very excited, LOL~)

Reactions: Fam Money

sandman121383

Aug 8, 2012
Im still on mdl lol.....maybe I should atleast update to mf9? Haha

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
I am in the same situation and currently on a stock rooted MF9 with a custom recovery as well. I would like to know the best upgrade path to 4.4.2 and hopefully stay on a knox free boot loader.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

I'm in same boat
on MF9 , didnt even go to 4.3, still sitting at 4.2.2 (with the update icon in my status bar, but i assume its for 4.3 not kit kat)
Im rooted and have exposed installed
would rather have a knox free loader too!

if anybody can advise on the best route to take would be lovely
would like to have kit kat on my phone today!!

icuc

Oct 20, 2013
I was on this boat but last night flashed the gummy Rom. It is okay but I would love to have the stock Rom. I don't like few things on the Gummy.

butterbuns

Feb 20, 2008
Detroit
Im still on mdl lol.....maybe I should atleast update to mf9? Haha

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

Lol I've been wondering if anyone else stayed on 4.2.2. Lol Im rooted with custom recovery. I hit the update button the other night and it wouldn't install and that icon went away, so I got that going for me. But I can't wait for kit kat, just waiting on the whole knox deal.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium

icuc

Oct 20, 2013
so you had MF9 bootloader? (and do you keep that one or switch to the knox one?)

just flashed rom with TRWP? (that'll update radio too?)

and what things dont you like on Gummy?

Yeah I have MF9 and I could keep the same.

I had issues with BT connection with my BMW but works fine with BT headset.

Home screen kind of wacky and you can't select the one that you like.

I just went back to 4.2.2 again until I find a good one.

asuh

Jan 14, 2007
I'm in the same situation, living on my phone with MF9, have TWRP/Custom Recovery installed, and am interested to upgrade to Kitkat. I'm very interested to know what will be the upgrade method for me to 4.4.2, similar to many others in this thread.

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
I'm on slimkat now and all is working great. Only drawback is no theme chooser

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

I just simply flashed the KitKat rom with twrp

asuh

Jan 14, 2007
I'm on slimkat now and all is working great. Only drawback is no theme chooser

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

I just simply flashed the KitKat rom with twrp

Which KitKat rom did you use? Did it just upgrade your OS or did you have to start from a clean install? Any issues with Knox?

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
Which KitKat rom did you use? Did it just upgrade your OS or did you have to start from a clean install? Any issues with Knox?

i used Slimkat, but it froze occasionally. now im on CM 11 and its FLAWLESS
did clean install (but had some apps backed up with Titanium)
to my knowledge the whole Knox thing is with Touchwiz based roms
both slimkat and CM 11 are not,so no worries about Knox

I am still on MF9 modem and bootloader
gonna get around to flashing the NAE modem later though

asuh

Jan 14, 2007
i used Slimkat, but it froze occasionally. now im on CM 11 and its FLAWLESS
did clean install (but had some apps backed up with Titanium)
to my knowledge the whole Knox thing is with Touchwiz based roms
both slimkat and CM 11 are not,so no worries about Knox

I am still on MF9 modem and bootloader
gonna get around to flashing the NAE modem later though

Alright. I'm personally looking to update only to official rom and NAE modem, not custom rom. Hoping I can do upgrade instead of clean install but hoping to get root access back or keep it at least.

butterbuns

Feb 20, 2008
Detroit
Ok so i dont think i care about the knox thing anymore.. So with that said i would like to upgrade to 4.4.2 with the stock sprint rom. What is the best way to go about that? Sorry im just confused with the bootloader and modem flashes.. Its been awhile since ive had a samsung phone.. Im assuming i cant do the OTA due to TWRP....

I am running completely stock and rooted with saferoot,

baseband mf9
bootloader mf9
TWRP installed

please help :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There have been several reports of people whose WiFi and data have worked just fine with the NAE ROM plus older bootloader like MF9. I'd wait until a stock rooted NAE ROM appears so we can try it with the knox-free MF9 bootloader.

Once Warboy releases the updated stock, rooted NAE, I'm gonna flash it with Philz recovery to see whether everything's compatible with the Knox-free MF9 bootloader. In the meanwhile, I'm gonna flash just the NAE modem. Cant wait for Kitkat~! (Even though I've had the 4.4.2 update for a long time through my Nexus 5, I'm still very excited, LOL~)

I was on this boat but last night flashed the gummy Rom. It is okay but I would love to have the stock Rom. I don't like few things on the Gummy.

so you had MF9 bootloader? (and do you keep that one or switch to the knox one?)

just flashed rom with TRWP? (that'll update radio too?)

and what things dont you like on Gummy?