TF700 without keyboard and USB device

Search This thread

mojo_

Aug 1, 2012
Hi all,

Looking To Buy Asus Transformer Infinity TF700 without keyboard, i have few questions.

How can i connect usb disk (or usb memory key) on TF700 ?

Using "usb female to usb female adaptor" can work for connecting usb drive on Usb dock cable of TF700 (without dock) ?

Thanks. :cowboy:

Keion

Nov 6, 2011
Danville, California
There's this asus thing on amazon for some money that converts the bottom proprietary port into a USB port. From there you could (possibly) attach a USB hub or whatever for your needs.

I got b& at /g/ for sh!tposting ;_;

nooktablet

Mar 30, 2012

AspenMan

Jun 25, 2007
Denver
You can get the USB adapter for like $30 (works on the 700), or you can go to best buy and get the tf201 dock (that works perfectly on the 700) for $99. IMHO, the dock is the way to go...

PAPB0007

Jul 29, 2012
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Currently, I have both the TF201 dock (best buy $99) and an Asus USB kit (amazon $17) and am glad to have both. The USB kit works but seems to easily come loose, which is horrible for hard drives.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Syn010

Aug 6, 2012
You could also buy a micro sd card and plug that into a cheap $3 usb adapter. eg: http://www.dealextreme.com/c/card-readers-300
Thats how I've been loading up my micro sd cards with ebooks and movies.

I asked earlier on the forum about pluging in my usb external 2tb drive to the tablet 40 pin via a usb adapter but was told that might be a no go due to lack of android drivers. Has anyone attempted it? I'd be curious to see if it could somehow work.

PAPB0007

Jul 29, 2012
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
You could also buy a micro sd card and plug that into a cheap $3 usb adapter. eg: http://www.dealextreme.com/c/card-readers-300
Thats how I've been loading up my micro sd cards with ebooks and movies.

I asked earlier on the forum about pluging in my usb external 2tb drive to the tablet 40 pin via a usb adapter but was told that might be a no go due to lack of android drivers. Has anyone attempted it? I'd be curious to see if it could somehow work.

I just plugged a Seagate 2TB external hard drive into the USB adapter and it came up and is working. Movies play, music plays, pictures, etc.

mouse100

Sep 20, 2010
According to you will it be possibile in a future (maybe with an hack) to connect in this female usb port an usb stick modem with sim card?

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
Asus drives me nutz with this idiot connector deal.
It's horsepoop if you ask me.

Even them Samsing tabs with their weird plugins have connector options available locally.
Asus = nope...uh-uh...sorry...no deal my man...your stuck buying our big ole' huge massive goofy interface clunker unit thingy!
I find this irritating.

PAPB0007

Jul 29, 2012
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Wicked! :good: Wait do you mean via tablet 40pin usb or do you mean usb via the dock.

A little more testing and perhaps better wording:
The 2TB hard drive worked via the tablet's 40 pin input (the one on the bottom that you usually charge from) using the USB adapter.
The 2TB hard drive worked via the dock's USB input.
Nothing worked when I plugged the USB adapter into the dock's 40pin input.

I hope this helps. I have other external hard drives I can test. 500GB - 2TB, Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba, a few are USB 3.0, most are USB 2.0.

Reactions: Syn010

zenaxe

May 30, 2010
FWIW, like others, I would highly recommend the dock, especially @ $99. I didn't think I needed it, felt it defeated the idea of a tablet, and had the TF Prime for months without it, but when it went up for $99 @ BB I pulled the trigger on it and I have been pretty amazed at how much I like having available. I use it all the time. It adds a lot of value to the TFs. The fact that I could upgrade to the TF700 and keep it was awesome, I'm not sure I would want a tablet that didn't have something similar going forward.

Last edited:
I got the Infinity without the keyboard as well. I actually already had a portable blue tooth keyboard, which is the Freedom Pro Keyboard. You can pick up on the net from $50 to $100. Amazon link

It's not going to have all the integration of the dock or anything. But I can use it on multiple devices since it has both the HID and SSP blue tooth protocols. I've used it both on my Evo 4G and the Infinity and works like a champ. It does use two AAA batteries. But in the months I've had it, I've only changed them once, and I think I left it on for about three or four days before I discovered it one time.

The thing the dock has that you may want, more battery life, USB ports, and SD card slot. In theory, would could type with it in bed or something too, although I've heard you'll want a flatter surface. It's a pretty nice looking dock and all. But I just didn't see what big benefit it would give me compared to what I had, other than battery life.

I did write on the Freedom Pro Keyboard from when I got it (Link to another forum). It gives my opinion and observations.

Reactions: Thats OK

thunderger

Jul 21, 2011
I tried to connect a Logitech K400 wirelesse keyboard with no success. I bought a female-female usb adapter and plugged it at my ASUS usb docking cable. The RF receiver isn't recognized and the keyboard can't be used.

WTF ASUS is forcing to use expensive accessory, e.g. dock by 150 € or usb adpter by 30€? Today I'll try the K400 at my sister-in-law's Acer A700 tablet. If it works she can have the keyboard.

Does anyone try another 3rd USB adapter acccessory with things like webcam or keyboard?

Last edited:

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
I have a little HP bluetooth keyboard that pairs to tf700t pretty well .... it messes up sometimes.
Sort of saved me from buying the dock.
Wish I had a bluetooth mouse tho...

I agree about the Asus pain in the ass 40 pin connector.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

I tried to connect a Logitech K400 wirelesse keyboard with no success. I bought a female-female usb adapter and plugged it at my ASUS usb docking cable. The RF receiver isn't recognized and the keyboard can't be used....

I'm not that surprise this isn't working. One, the keyboard is not blue tooth, which you know. Two, you need drivers to work the unifying usb receiver. I would be surprised if Android had the drivers. Didn't you notice when you plugged into your PC, WIndows or OSX downloaded drivers to install?

To your point, no you don't have buy the ASUS keyboard dock for $150EU/US. If don't mind it not matching, from what has been explored in other threads, the Transformer Prime (TF200) dock is the same, and can be found for around $100EU/US. But since you're you were trying to use something else, there are a plenty of other blue tooth keyboards that can be used. You're looking for one with the HID protocol. Although, you can probably use the SPP, but you'll probably need to make sure you get the drivers somewhere.

I suspect you're looking for that wireless to be able to use with it. I only briefly explored it for use with my phone. You'll have to search and research. There may be something. Personally, it wasn't a must have. Since I'm right next to the tablet, I can just touch the screen just as easily. Other than a few games on OnLive, I can think of what it can do better than my finger on the tablet. Plus, I think the cost will be the same after both the keyboard and mouse/touch pad.

I guess the question for you, not so much is ASUS keyboard dock is pricey, but can you do what you plan with something else. And is the cost of whatever you get, worth the benefit derived.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wicked! :good: Wait do you mean via tablet 40pin usb or do you mean usb via the dock.

A little more testing and perhaps better wording:
    The 2TB hard drive worked via the tablet's 40 pin input (the one on the bottom that you usually charge from) using the USB adapter.
    The 2TB hard drive worked via the dock's USB input.
    Nothing worked when I plugged the USB adapter into the dock's 40pin input.

I hope this helps. I have other external hard drives I can test. 500GB - 2TB, Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba, a few are USB 3.0, most are USB 2.0.
    I got the Infinity without the keyboard as well. I actually already had a portable blue tooth keyboard, which is the Freedom Pro Keyboard. You can pick up on the net from $50 to $100. Amazon link

It's not going to have all the integration of the dock or anything. But I can use it on multiple devices since it has both the HID and SSP blue tooth protocols. I've used it both on my Evo 4G and the Infinity and works like a champ. It does use two AAA batteries. But in the months I've had it, I've only changed them once, and I think I left it on for about three or four days before I discovered it one time.

The thing the dock has that you may want, more battery life, USB ports, and SD card slot. In theory, would could type with it in bed or something too, although I've heard you'll want a flatter surface. It's a pretty nice looking dock and all. But I just didn't see what big benefit it would give me compared to what I had, other than battery life.

I did write on the Freedom Pro Keyboard from when I got it (Link to another forum). It gives my opinion and observations.