[HOWTO] Installing CWM recovery on Note II

Search This thread

ViciousMo

Dec 2, 2012
I just followed the steps and had no issues. I am looking at CWM currently on my CF rooted phone. Thanks again

DoctorQMM

Feb 24, 2011
Is this i317 CWM6 the "Touch" cwm version which has the soft navigation keys and touch scroll... or the version where you have to use the volume keys to select and the home or power button to execute selection?

Mad383Max

Dec 20, 2009
Currently stock here. I have a version of touch cwm that I used with my note 1. Is it possible to use that with note 2?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

DoctorQMM

Feb 24, 2011
I think it's just the regular one. I really hope someone makes us an updated touch version of Cwm.

thanks for reply... I'm coming from the i727 Skyrocket and developer "sk8erwitskil" ported the CWM6 Touch Recovery to the Skyrocket.. and then added some real badazz features. Hoping that happens for the SGN2 as well. Here's a link with video in OP and all the features he added to it...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1777970

mocsab

Aug 16, 2011
West Milwaukee
www.shimmeringglass.com
Problems with CWM

I had major issues with TWRP - recovery bootloops - the only way to fix it and actually boot up my phone was to flash CWM -

So - I am on CWM now - and am having a couple of issues - not sure what to do to fix them:

1) when I try to clean data/factory restore inside CWM - it starts and then 'reboots' into CWM - without actually wiping anything.

2) When I try to create a back up - it creates a back up - but when I look at the backup it created, it is only about 16MB - much smaller than what it should be (if it were a real nandroid it would be close to GB if not over that)

So - how do I fix this?

TWRP is not an option - I can't flash that without getting into Recovery BOOT Loops - and CWM is not doing what it should

Any suggestions?

wargear

Jun 12, 2012
pensacola fla
Worked like a charm thanks! I noticed rom manager pro doesn't recognise this as installed and had to select cwm 5x as recovery. Any idea when that'll get updated?

jetrii

Oct 8, 2010
I'm having some issues restoring from an external SD card. Half the time it works, but the other half it creates a new backup instead of restoring. When that happens, I pretty much lose my backup because all future restores from external SD instead create a backup.

BlueBagodah

Nov 20, 2007
Newmarket
I've tried to flash this onto my i317M Rogers Galaxy Note 2, but no luck. It does trip the flash counter, but no clockworkmod recovery. I'm in a bit of a hurry to get clockwork recovery installed so I can do a nandroid backup... Anyone have any luck on a Rogers version?

BlueBagodah

Nov 20, 2007
Newmarket
Have CWM on Telus. Worked for me the first time.

Thanks for the response, I've got a couple of questions.
1. Did you perform the steps from the original post in this thread? I did, and while it tripped the flash counter, I did not get CWM installed.
2. Are you able to perform nandroid backups with CWM?
3. Were you coming from unrooted stock? I did the CF-Root so I have root access, but other than that, pure stock.
4. Is your Note2 the same model as mine? Even though it's on a different provider, mine is model SGH-I317M, on Rogers.

I'd appreciate any advice/tips you (or anyone else) could provide.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 2012-12-31-11-23-08.jpg
    2012-12-31-11-23-08.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:

BlueBagodah

Nov 20, 2007
Newmarket
I've had an idea, but I don't want to brick my phone while trying it...
When I go to flash the CWM recovery, I'm flashing from the file with the extension .tar.md5
Do I need to remove the .md5 extension? Does the file need to have just the .tar extension?

Sorry for spamming the thread with questions... I'm just very eager to turn my GN2 into a Nexus-Note2...

yiannisthegreek

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
I've had an idea, but I don't want to brick my phone while trying it...
When I go to flash the CWM recovery, I'm flashing from the file with the extension .tar.md5
Do I need to remove the .md5 extension? Does the file need to have just the .tar extension?

Sorry for spamming the thread with questions... I'm just very eager to turn my GN2 into a Nexus-Note2...

This IS a good question and perhaps the OP should be updated on this point. I am gonna go on a limb here and say that YES... you need to remove that .md5 extension from the file as I have flashed CWM MANY times on MANY different devices and all files should end with the .tar ONLY.

I will be flashing this to my friends Bell Note II (SGH-317M) later this afternoon and I will try it with the .md5 removed but in the meantime IF the OP or someone else can confirm this it would be appreciated.

Also... Why does the CWM file download with that .md5 extension in the first place?

Reactions: BlueBagodah

BlueBagodah

Nov 20, 2007
Newmarket
This IS a good question and perhaps the OP should be updated on this point. I am gonna go on a limb here and say that YES... you need to remove that .md5 extension from the file as I have flashed CWM MANY times on MANY different devices and all files should end with the .tar ONLY.

I will be flashing this to my friends Bell Note II (SGH-317M) later this afternoon and I will try it with the .md5 removed but in the meantime IF the OP or someone else can confirm this it would be appreciated.

Also... Why does the CWM file download with that .md5 extension in the first place?

Thanks your your reply. Please let us know in the thread how it went.
I'll be trying the same thing in a day or so. I won't have access to my computer until then. I'll update the thread on my progress.

yiannisthegreek

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Thanks your your reply. Please let us know in the thread how it went.
I'll be trying the same thing in a day or so. I won't have access to my computer until then. I'll update the thread on my progress.

This CAN be confirmed. Remove the .md5 extension from the file and it works like a charm.

OP... Please update the first post to reflect this for new users and ease of use.

Thanks...

BlueBagodah

Nov 20, 2007
Newmarket
This CAN be confirmed. Remove the .md5 extension from the file and it works like a charm.

OP... Please update the first post to reflect this for new users and ease of use.

Thanks...

Still won't install for me. I've used two different versions of ODIN and no luck. With the version of ODIN in the OP (v3.07) I don't get the PASS message, instead the box turns blue and says RESET. But it does trip the flash counter.
With ODIN v1.85 I do get the PASS message, and it trips the flash counter, but no luck.

I've noticed when it goes into the Samsung Recovery it says the Product Name is SGH-I317M_NA_BMC

Anyone have any ideas for me?

Attachments

• odin.jpg
    odin.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:

wiser212

Jun 25, 2007
Still won't install for me. I've used two different versions of ODIN and no luck. With the version of ODIN in the OP (v3.07) I don't get the PASS message, instead the box turns blue and says RESET. But it does trip the flash counter.
With ODIN v1.85 I do get the PASS message, and it trips the flash counter, but no luck.

I've noticed when it goes into the Samsung Recovery it says the Product Name is SGH-I317M_NA_BMC

Anyone have any ideas for me?

Same issue here. It worked before the OTA update. After the OTA update, it will not flash the recovery. The counter does trip. For the people having this issue, are you on the latest OTA update?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here are the instructions for installing CWM recovery to our AT&T Galaxy Note II

*Make sure you have installed the usb device drivers for our phone first, they can be found Here

Download the ClockworkMod Recovery image file from here. Place it on your desktop.
    Get the ODIN 3 3.07 zip from here. Unzip the ODIN contents into a single folder on your desktop, there should 4 extracted files.
    Power off your smartphone and then you need to boot it into Download Mode. Do it by pressing simultaneously ‘volume down’ + ‘home’ + ‘power’ buttons. Release the buttons when you’re asked to press Volume Up, click it and enter download mode.
    Go to ODIN folder on your PC and run the ODIN .exe file.
    Now you can connect your smartphone to your PC. ODIN will say "ADDED". If ODIN doesn’t display the "added" text, then you will have to re-install the USB drivers for your smartphone.
    Go to ODIN program window and click on ‘PDA’. Find the ‘CWM recovery img.tar file and load it into ODIN exe. Do Not Change Any Options Note that the ‘Re-partition’ box shouldn’t be checked.
    Press the ‘START’ button and ODIN will begin to install ClockworkMod Recovery image on the AT&T Galaxy Note 2 device.
    After the install process is complete, the device will restart and ODIN should say ‘PASS’. This means that the process was successful.
    Your phone should reboot and then have a new recovery.

To test out new recovery turn off phone , use the three button combo (Volume up+home+power, then wait for screen to flash) and phone will boot into recovery.
    FIXED: Flash CWM on 4.1.2 after OTA update

I was having the same issues noticed above.
    I was able to successfully flash CWM by using the following steps

1. Use ODIN3 v3.07
    2. Use the published HURR!!!! (same one as before but i used a fresh download)
    3. SU>reboot download (or manually from boot with vol-down + Home + power)
    4. Start ODIN
    5. Plug in phone (ODIN shows "added!!")
    6. using PDA select your "MD5 file"
    7. 6. UNCHECK "AUTO REBOOT"
    8. START!!

9. phone will complete and not reboot (obviously)
    10. Pull the battery
    11.unplug from computer
    12. Replace battery
    13. Plug back in
    14. Hold VOL-UP + HOME + Power

15. ????????
    16. PROFIT
    17. ODIN will say "PASS"
    18. make nandroid backup (not required but good practice so you dont have to figure it out twice like i did)
    19. When you exit CWM!! do not disable CWM and revert to stock recovery. it will ask you if you want to. (WHY WOULD I DO THAT WHEN I JUST CHANGED IT!?!?!)
    19. return to XDA and hit the thanks button ;)

hope this helped

PRO-MODE
    redownload md5
    uncheck "Auto Reboot" in odin
    pull battery, unplug, replace battery, replug
    manually reboot into recovery (vol-up, home, Power)
    hit thanks button

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

terminal:
    SU> reboot recovery

easy mode
    I was having the same issues noticed above.
    I was able to successfully flash CWM by using the following steps

1. Use ODIN3 v3.07
    2. Use the published HURR!!!! (same one as before but i used a fresh download)
    3. SU>reboot download (or manually from boot with vol-down + Home + power)
    4. Start ODIN
    5. Plug in phone (ODIN shows "added!!")
    6. using PDA select your "MD5 file"
    7. 6. UNCHECK "AUTO REBOOT"
    8. START!!

9. phone will complete and not reboot (obviously)
    10. Pull the battery
    11.unplug from computer
    12. Replace battery
    13. Plug back in
    14. Hold VOL-UP + HOME + Power

15. ????????
    16. PROFIT
    17. ODIN will say "PASS"
    18. make nandroid backup (not required but good practice so you dont have to figure it out twice like i did)
    19. When you exit CWM!! do not disable CWM and revert to stock recovery. it will ask you if you want to.
    19. return to XDA and hit the thanks button ;)

hope this helped

PRO-MODE
    redownload md5
    uncheck "Auto Reboot" in odin
    pull battery, unplug, replace battery, replug
    manually reboot into recovery (vol-up, home, Power)
    hit thanks button

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

terminal:
    SU> reboot recovery

easy mode

You rock!! Should this be a separate thread for 4.1.2 because the original instructions don't work.
    Well now I'm seriously flustered... I downloaded GooManager, ran it with SuperUser access and installed the recovery script. It said it installed, but when I went into the recovery, it was still the stock Samsung recovery.
    Craziness...

***EDIT***

I used the GooManager app to flash the recovery script again, and this time instead of manually rebooting into recovery, I used the button inside the app to reboot into recovery and it appears to have worked...
    I'm still a bit confuzzled about how it is, or is not working, but I'm performing a TWRP backup now.

Is the TWRP Backup the same as a nandroid backup that CWM does?

yes it is
    Does GS Note II 317M work with GS3 GT recovery? Anyone confirm this method works?

This does work for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app