[APP][Experimental] Windows Mobile 7-like gestures

Search This thread

Jaxbot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Hi all.

Highly experimental app I've been working on. It basically uses the accelerometer and ambient light sensor to handle gesture events.

Current features:
- Wave to answer
- Wave to ignore
- Autolock when dark
- Turn to unlock
- Shake to save

It works well on my Fuze, but I'm not sure about other HTC devices.
Also, it needs the .NET Compact Framework.

Any feedback, let me know!

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQBrqpa7_Wg
Download: http://windowsphonehacker.com/files/gesture.CAB

Last edited:

z_rudy

Jun 8, 2005
Very nice idea!
I dont know how to "turn like a key" though :p
Will post more feedback when I try a phone call.. its 5 AM here now :)

devil_82

Oct 22, 2006
very nice application....i saw the video clip...good....is it possible to make the wave and it will activate the speaker mode...this will be a good feature when we're driving.. :)

NCHEVYHEVN

Oct 9, 2009
Apex
Awsome!

The autolock feature is a bit touchy on my TP2. Even on the less sensative setting it still will autolock on and off. Not a feature I want though so no worries.

Thanks!

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Thanks for your feedback, all!
About the speakerphone feature, I have it added in the latest version. If anything comes up that needs fixing, I will add that, but otherwise you should see an update later today :)

kryptech

Feb 21, 2009
Sorry I never got back to you about the PoC gesture app earlier.

I've just tested out this new experimental app - cool idea!

I was able to get 'Wave to answer' and 'Wave to ignore' going easily enough when the TP was on my desk and on a chair closer to the window. I had to wave a couple times to get the desired response but found that if I move my hand across the light sensor for about .5 seconds around an inch above the phone it was pretty consistent.

I couldn't get the 'AutoLock' working consistently. If I cover the light sensor with a piece of paper or put the top 80% of the phone into a cloth bag it doesn't lock. A few times when I was covering the light sensor with my hand the lock screen flashed up but disappeared again without me having to unlock it.

It took a bit to figure out how to unlock the lock screen but from watching your YouTube video and playing around I can do it easily. It seems best to grab the phone between my thumb and index finger with my thumb on the lock icon (so it is green). Then I flick the bottom end of the phone quickly 90 degrees and back. It is harder to do when holding the right way up - it seems that the bottom end needs to have the motion rather than the top end.

'Shake to Save' is sweet, however, it was inconsistent for me. I'm not sure if there is a particular shaking orientation that works best (it is hard to tell in your video). When it worked it was quick and easy.

At about medium sensitivity the average light sensor reading is around 14 when sitting on my desk on a cloudy day. If I set it on a chair closer to the window I get an average of around 25.

I am using ChangeScreen - a g-sensor orientation flipper: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=468488 I've set an exception for 'gesture' but it hasn't seemed to helped (well, it does prevent the Gestures app from changing orientation when I tilt/shake the phone).

Nice experiment!

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Sorry I never got back to you about the PoC gesture app earlier.

I've just tested out this new experimental app - cool idea!

I was able to get 'Wave to answer' and 'Wave to ignore' going easily enough when the TP was on my desk and on a chair closer to the window. I had to wave a couple times to get the desired response but found that if I move my hand across the light sensor for about .5 seconds around an inch above the phone it was pretty consistent.

I couldn't get the 'AutoLock' working consistently. If I cover the light sensor with a piece of paper or put the top 80% of the phone into a cloth bag it doesn't lock. A few times when I was covering the light sensor with my hand the lock screen flashed up but disappeared again without me having to unlock it.

It took a bit to figure out how to unlock the lock screen but from watching your YouTube video and playing around I can do it easily. It seems best to grab the phone between my thumb and index finger with my thumb on the lock icon (so it is green). Then I flick the bottom end of the phone quickly 90 degrees and back. It is harder to do when holding the right way up - it seems that the bottom end needs to have the motion rather than the top end.

'Shake to Save' is sweet, however, it was inconsistent for me. I'm not sure if there is a particular shaking orientation that works best (it is hard to tell in your video). When it worked it was quick and easy.

At about medium sensitivity the average light sensor reading is around 14 when sitting on my desk on a cloudy day. If I set it on a chair closer to the window I get an average of around 25.

I am using ChangeScreen - a g-sensor orientation flipper: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=468488 I've set an exception for 'gesture' but it hasn't seemed to helped (well, it does prevent the Gestures app from changing orientation when I tilt/shake the phone).

Nice experiment!

Thanks for the feedback.
The sensitivity does not affect how much the light reading is, nor the G-sensor sensitivity. It has more to do with how much of a light change counts as a gesture.

As for shake to save, the program currently uses the Z vector to tell if its shaking. This is pure force (up/down) of the phone, but it's been very hard to activate even for me.
I'm going to switch it to X or Y once I get ready to release the new version, just to make it easier.

kryptech

Feb 21, 2009
As for shake to save, the program currently uses the Z vector to tell if its shaking. This is pure force (up/down) of the phone, but it's been very hard to activate even for me.
I'm going to switch it to X or Y once I get ready to release the new version, just to make it easier.
I feel silly asking but the Z axis runs along the length of the phone, from the mic end to the speaker end? And the X axis runs from side-to-side, while the Y axis is the thickness (screen-to-back of battery)?

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Here's a diagram. It's for a wiimote, but I guess its the same principal:

200px-Wiimote_axis2.png

The important thing to note is that the X and Y are based on rotation, while Z is based on G-force (gravity) pulling on it.

ebweiss

Feb 16, 2010
would love to use this app

how do I update my .NET Compact Framework so that is works?

thanks

aussiebum

Dec 5, 2008
Questions... does the app stay resident in the background so that any gesture will trigger the actions? how's the battery drain?