*Root the Slide & Other HTC Devices*6/15/2010* How-To Updated 8/14/2010

Search This thread

fermunky

Jun 11, 2007
Tampa, FL
ok bro I got this... you will kick yourself in the face like I did... so go into your device manager in windows: start>control panel>system>device manager>select the yellow triangle which should be uner a usb device android 1.0... then update this maunaly and select from list... look for the android drivers for adb should be first few... BAMN! all done

This is not my issue. All my drivers appear to be working normal. If I had the yellow triangle, then I would not even get ADB working when the phone is booted normally. I am having the same problem as everyone else, with the offline device found for a second. The drivers are good. It's only once I leave bootloader and enter recovery, the ADB Device disconnects/disappears, and then something along the lines of a mass storage device returns. I just need to confirm that I must keep doing to loop/reboot/repeat method properly...

Z51

Nov 28, 2006
my pc stays stuck on installing android ADB interface.
it finds the driver and has been loading for 15 minutes now :(

i get to the 5 minute mark on kings vid and when I typ adb devices it shows up as blank

what can I do?

Last edited:

fermunky

Jun 11, 2007
Tampa, FL
Think I am gonna give up on the adb method for a while, or until someone else figures out how to keep the device seen as offline...

zippa71385

Mar 3, 2010
Eastcoast
This is not my issue. All my drivers appear to be working normal. If I had the yellow triangle, then I would not even get ADB working when the phone is booted normally. I am having the same problem as everyone else, with the offline device found for a second. The drivers are good. It's only once I leave bootloader and enter recovery, the ADB Device disconnects/disappears, and then something along the lines of a mass storage device returns. I just need to confirm that I must keep doing to loop/reboot/repeat method properly...

Im rooted now!...

the last thing ill say is make sure you dont start loop till just before you go into recovery... sounds stupid but i tested both ways and it wont find you if you have it running way before

faylix

Sep 8, 2009
Boston
Holy fark I think i got it!

Okay, here is how i fixed it for people stuck where I was.

I deleted all my android adb device drivers

I used the sdk updater to download and install the newest android usb driver (r3).

Followed the instructions and the first time it stayed connected!

BTW: This is my 64 bit windows 7 computer. Did not get it to work on my Ubuntu distribution. (same machine different boot)

WOOHOO!

EUGENE YOU ROCK!

fermunky

Jun 11, 2007
Tampa, FL
Im rooted now!...

the last thing ill say is make sure you dont start loop till just before you go into recovery... sounds stupid but i tested both ways and it wont find you if you have it running way before

One thing I noticed is when on the bootloader screen, I have "Android ADB Device", but when the phone is booted normally, I have "ADB Phone" in device manager, so not sure if I have a conflicting driver.

- So I've removed all drivers while phone was connected in recovery,
- Booted to bootloader and removed all drivers found when there.
- Removing all drivers when the phone is connected while booted normally
- Removing all HTC stuff
- Removing the entire SDK folder
- Will hunt down any potential driver files in the Windows System dirs
- Will also try a different port on the back of my PC... Back in my support days, I had learned that the rear USB ports are the "true" ports, the other are hubbed ports, and can cause goofyness sometimes.
- Then try again...

Last edited:

kcbboy

Jun 15, 2010
where do you get the android drivers? everytime I begin the root process it says android 1.0 drivers in the bubble on the task bar and then it prompts me to install? i can't get past the loop process and i'm guessing that's what's holding me back.

blkw0lf

Mar 12, 2009
One thing I noticed is when on the bootloader screen, I have "Android ADB Device", but when the phone is booted normally, I have "ADB Phone" in device manager, so not sure if I have a conflicting driver.

- So I've removed all drivers while phone was connected in recovery,
- Booted to bootloader and removed all drivers found when there.
- Removing all drivers when the phone is connected while booted normally
- Removing all HTC stuff
- Removing the entire SDK folder
- Will hunt down any potential driver files in the Windows System dirs
- Then try again...

It sounds like your drivers are okay.

adb is not supposed to run in recovery mode. The loop method is basically trying to force a memory or buffer overflow that locks adb in it's running state as it comes up, see's that the phone is booting into recovery and then supposed to shut down again.

That's why you see the device for a short time and then it disappears again.

The problem is, it's just random. You have to keep repeating the process until it works.
Though as it's been stated before, starting the adb loop right before you tell the phone to boot into recovery seems to increase the chances of it working dramatically.

fermunky

Jun 11, 2007
Tampa, FL
It sounds like your drivers are okay.

adb is not supposed to run in recovery mode. The loop method is basically trying to force a memory or buffer overflow that locks adb in it's running state as it comes up, see's that the phone is booting into recovery and then supposed to shut down again.

That's why you see the device for a short time and then it disappears again.

The problem is, it's just random. You have to keep repeating the process until it works.
Though as it's been stated before, starting the adb loop right before you tell the phone to boot into recovery seems to increase the chances of it working dramatically.

Thats a much better explanation... wish I had that 5 minutes ago before removing everything :) But I should definitely be starting the loop just before hitting enter on recovery right? Because it seems like the drivers don't load for it until just after the MyTouch splash loads.

Last edited:

faylix

Sep 8, 2009
Boston
fermunky:

just wanted to say, I thought my adb drivers were fine as well. I guess they were fine, but not for our purposes.

I could adb reboot recovery my phone, it appeared briefly when i was trying to root it, etc. Windows and Linux.

It wasn't until after i removed all the drivers and then re-installed only the brand new driver - the (r3) one you get from the sdk setup utility.

Then my phone came up under devices as Tmobile mytouch slide.. and the next time i tried to loop process it ****ing worked! I nearly crapped my pants to see that damn device name running down my screen.

This might be the first time I'm happy i didn't delete my windows 7 install from this computer.

Hope that helps you!

goodwinm

Apr 19, 2006
Salem, OR
I am always able to get to the point where it will receive the ota.zip but when I go to push the update.zip it always errors out. I get 30K/s transfer rates, it takes 2 minutes to send the ota.zip, so maybe its a driver problem. Running Windows 7 64 bit.

turboyo

Jun 23, 2009
Miami
mine says offline for a second then dissapears, the only driver i have isntalled are w/e windows 7 dowloads automatically and pdanet driver. What driver should i have isntalled? I just did a fresh adb install too from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=532719 . With the Slide powered on it finds it perfectly, when I go do the root thing it says offline for a few seconds and even if i catch it there it doesnt really work

Faylix where do i get that driver?? r3

Last edited:

faylix

Sep 8, 2009
Boston
mine says offline for a second then dissapears, the only driver i have isntalled are w/e windows 7 dowloads automatically and pdanet driver. What driver should i have isntalled? I just did a fresh adb install too from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=532719 . With the Slide powered on it finds it perfectly, when I go do the root thing it says offline for a few seconds and even if i catch it there it doesnt really work

U need the brand new (r3) driver from sdk-tools in the root of your android sdk directory.

Code3VW

May 1, 2009
This is still not working for me....

I suspect it has to do with the drivers for the phone. In device manager I have:

Android Phone > Android ADB Device

When I right click and go to properties, and then click on the Driver tab, this is the version currently in use:

Provider: Google, Inc.
Date: 8/11/2009
Version: 2.0.10.2

However, I have gone to C:\Android\ and ran SDK Setup.exe and have downloaded revision 3 of the driver.

I'm guessing revision 3 should have version 3.x.x.x not 2.0.10.2.

So...then I went to http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html and followed the instructions for upgrading the driver for vista, and still no dice...

Any ideas? This is on Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Sleef

Jun 2, 2010
Minneapolis
I had a problem pushing the update, initially. It would come up saying access denied but, after a few attempts, it finally worked. I now have ROOT! BLOODY ROOT!

Anyway, what's the best way to get rid of bull**** stock apps like Amazon mp3? It hurts my soul to look at it.

Last edited:

TRF-Inferno

Dec 26, 2008
Carrollton, TX
It took quite a bit of time, but I finally got root. Thank you Eugene373 and kingofyo1.

If the phone would show up in recovery under ADB devices consistently, it wouldn't have taken as long. I spent nearly an hour alone just rebooting the phone in recovery to get it to show up.

Last edited:

heybobitsme

Sep 20, 2009
Orange County, CA
i will write up a document when i get to my ubuntu box it will be a while because i have been up for 48 hours(last 12 on xda waiting for this) and i have to fiure out how to unroot my phone so i can try in ubuntu as well as mac(i have several different computers running multi-boots) pnce i have a write up for ubuntu i will upload as well as let eugene know so he can attach to his first post and make it easier to see.

+1 I would love an Ubuntu write-up.

I've been doing a little testing to make sure my adb is setup right (as I don't have this phone yet, maybe this weekend :)) and am not seeing a loop file anywhere in the sdk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just replaced the update.zip and started in recovery, launched update.zip and all seemed fine. I already had root though and I have my sd card full so I can't try a2sd or sdparted yet but it seemed to run fine.

Sent from my ROOTED myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App
    Go to theunlockr.com and type in adb setup and start there.